CAR CONTROL CLINIC at Auto Club Speedway - Oct 4, 2008

Started by ViperX, April 25, 2008, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

CAR CONTROL CLINIC at Auto Club Speedway - October 4, 2008 

THIS EVENT IS RAIN OR SHINE  <Z

Do you ever feel like taking your Viper out into an empty parking lot and doing some donuts just for fun?

Wouldn't you love to go out and burn some rubber and not get a ticket?

Have you ever wanted to take some turns on the street fast enough to slide the car and exceed its limits, without the chance of hitting something or someone?

Wwould you like to explore your Viper's limits in a safe, legal environment and learn to handle your beast better?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, our first annual Viper Club Car Control Clinic is something you just won't want to miss.

The date is October 4, 2008 at Auto Club Speedway off Cherry Avenue and the I-10 Freeway in Fontana.  We have rented a large parking lot approximately 1000 x 1200 feet.  The club will provide lunch.
DC Performance will be there to help with the event and offer minor services to all the attendees.
Bob Blizzard, Viper Days' Chief Driving Instructor, and a host of other experienced drivers will be there to provide instruction.

We'll have four stations as follows:

STATION #1 - Is a figure 8 around cones where Bob rides with and instructs each driver and offers input / advice on how the car feels, what the car is doing and how to best control it while turning left and right.  I know this will be a long day for Bob but he should have some fun too. 

STATION #2
- Is a timed slalom course.  It starts with a short "straight", proceeds "through the cones", followed by a 180 degree left turn at speed, then back through the cones and past      the timer.  We'll see if we can rustle up some prizes for this station.

STATION #3 - Is a "0 to 60" with the driver doing a "threshold" brake after reaching 60 mph.  DC Performance's Lyle Larson spent years as a professional drag racer and went as fast 6.32 at 220.51-mph in an alcohol car.  Lyle will provide instruction at this station.  We'll have a drag racers "tree" so that we can learn how a tree works and test our reaction times.

STATION #4 - Is a "skid pad" (just like you read about in the magazines) where the driver does a left circle around a set of cones (as fast as they can until they lose traction) and on the next round they do a right circle.  Ray McIntyre, also an ex-professional racer, has offered to help here.

We plan to have a leader at each station.  We will also need a "helper" at each station to pick up/reset the cones (not that any of you will hit any cones).  Please let us know if you can help us with this event.  I will likely "ask" my sons to come and help (they will get a chance to drive later as payment). We plan to have a pop up at each station for shade and ask members to bring their own chairs and something to drink - the club will provide drinks for lunch.

Plan to arrive at 9:30AM the event will start at 10:00AM with lunch at about noon and be completed about 3:00 PM. This would give each group of drivers about an hour at each station.

For insurance reasons, we will need to limit participation to club members and their immediate family.  All participants must have a valid Driver License and current auto insurance.  Helmets are recommended but not required.

This event is being heavily subsidized by the club; cost is only $100 per car.  Participants are limited to a total of 50 cars, so sign up early; you won't want to miss this event!
Dan  <2

CLICK HERE TO PAY USING PAYPAL

OR YOU MAY USE THE ATTACHED REGISTRATION FORM.

PAID Attendees:  >b

Eddie   Arguelles
Yosi   Aronian
Bill   Bagshaw
John   Bennett
William   Beverly
Steven   Borecki
Mike   Buckingham
Diann   Buckingham
Angel   Calderon
Sean   Casey
Bruce   Conklin
Eric   DeDominic
John   Fuchs
Madoka "Mike"   Fujita
Armen   Gharagozian
Thomas   Gorny
Norman   Greitzer
Roger   Hamson
Carlos   Hernandez
Michael   Hu
Stephanie   Izard
Glenn   Izard
Ben   Kawata
Lo "Peter"   Keo
Brent   Kern
Jim   Kenehan
Jim   Kordan
Lance   Kouchi
Lawrence   Kraus
Anthony   Matranga
Darryl   McClendon
Raymond   McIntyre
Aristeo   Medina
Bill   O'Connell
Timothy   Pavloff
Scott   Pennington
Anhtuan   Pham
Eddie   Reinsma
Kala   Rexroad
Bill   Ruhlman
Khumi "Kobi"   Sial
Michael   Sinkinson
Dave   Sweeney
Nino   Valmassoi
Weston   Wellington
Kristine   Wells
Chris   Wells
Paul   Winters

PCH VIPER

That is awesome Dan.

It will be a great opportunity to learn what to and NOT to do in a safe environment.

Getting "Snake Bit" on the streets has resulted in too many crashed Vipers. 

Will we have a drill specifically set up to simulate "Snake Bite" ?
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Banzai Ben

Sounds great Dan, count me in. How about a donut and burnout contest too(smile)?
Thanks,
Ben
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

ViperX

Cathy and I will be meeting with the "powers that be" at El Toro shortly.

We'll try to get a list of "do's and don'ts" from them.

As you know, some of our members often push the envelope......as long as we don't wear out our welcome, we'll try and come up with some fun "extra" events.

If this goes well, and I think it will, we many want to do this every year.

Dan

NK BREKR

Count me in...I can also demonstrate how to get "Snake Bit" as was evidenced by my 3 spin outs at Buttonwillow <B

Great job Cathy and Dan getting this event setup for the members, it will definitely make us better drivers. <1

Steven & Carol Borecki

Count me and Carol in.  I may even let Carol drive. <2  <2

<m    >2   <2   <2 <m
Steven & Carol Borecki

Banzai Ben

Hey Dan,
I was just kidding about the donut and burnout contests. Our tires are too expensive for that.
Let me know if you need help with anything.
Thanks,
Ben
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

ViperX

I may have a set of old track tires that I'd be willing to sacrifice at this event.

Maybe someone else will have a set too.

I'm looking forward to it.

Dan

PCH VIPER

Quote from: artpena54 on April 28, 2008, 10:17:16 AM
Count me in...I can also demonstrate how to get "Snake Bit" as was evidenced by my 3 spin outs at Buttonwillow <B

But to your credit.....the track was wet, this is a very fast corner, and you DIDN'T hit the wall !
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

NK BREKR

That spin out was the scary one, the one in Star Mazda was fun  >2!    Thanks for posting the picture Lance, I had a blast.

caseyse

Thank you for putting this together; I need to get to know my new Viper.  I'll look for any sign-up information, but please count me in.

- Sean

ViperX

Hey Sean,

Viper Days will be at Willow in mid September.

You should plan on attending this event - it's very worthwhile and fun too.

Dan

Kadeuces

Im new here and I could definitely use the training!!
Count me in.

-KOBI

ViperX

Hey Guys,

Hope you all noticed that we had to change locations.  I kinda wanted to go to El Toro, but they wouldn't accept the VCA's national insurance coverage as adequate and CA Speedway will, which saves the club a bunch of dough.

This should be a fun event.  There is an NHRA drag event going on that weekend, so there should be some fun cars to see as well.

Hey Lance,

Getting "Snake Bit" on the streets has resulted in too many crashed Vipers.

Will we have a drill specifically set up to simulate "Snake Bite[/font]" ?"

In a word, yes, a couple of them.  Typically, our members (who crash) tend to drive a bit too fast around corners and get on the gas a bit too early, especially on cold streets and with cold tires.  The rear end then begins to slide and most rookie Viper drivers don't handle this well.  Add a bit of moisture or old tires (yes, any tire over over three years old, no matter how much tread it has is getting hard and becoming slippery).

Another typical problem area is dumping the clutch while shifting quickly from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 at higher rpms.  This ofter results in a spin.

Hope to see a bunch of folks at this one.

Dan  <2