Drive Laguna Seca June 28, 29, 30 with 105 Decible sound limit!

Started by ViperX, December 17, 2012, 02:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

Hey Guys,

If you've always wanted to drive Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca but were afraid your Viper would not pass the normally strict sound limits, this is the event to make.  This Speed Ventures weekend features a 105 DB sound limit for this Friday, Saturday, Sunday event only.  Even Vipers with headers should "pass sound" as long as you have mufflers.  Having cats would make your Viper even quieter.  If you have straight pipes without cats or mufflers, you probably won't pass.

I drove Laguna Seca last year in my stock exhaust 2009 ACR and had no issues with their normal 92 DB sound limit.  If you are OE, you will be fine.

We'll be running with Speed Ventures and I've asked Aaron (the owner) to give us a special heads up before registration opens as it will sell out very fast.  You can go to their website at:  www.speedventures.com for more info on driving with them, but this special event has not been posted as I write this and may not be posted for some time.

PUT this weekend in your schedule.

For more info, go to: www.speedventures.com

Please respond here and I'll keep a list of drivers posted so I can help let you know when sign ups are open.

Hotel info:
Intercontinental Clement Monterey
750 Cannery Row,  Monterey  CA   93940

So Cal Viper Club group rates:
Inland view $245/night
Ocean View $325/night
1 bedroom ocean view suite $450/night

To make reservations:
Call 888-666-5734
Email  [email protected]
Ask for the So Cal Viper Club rates

Cut off date for room reservations at these rates is May 28th, 2013

FYI, I normally drive Friday and Saturday, then enjoy a full day in the beautiful Monterey area eating, visiting the local wineries and just being a tourist.  Cathy loved Monterey last year!

See you at the track,

Dan  <2

Driver's list:
Gary Belvedere
Bruce Conklin
Jay M
Joe B
John Weigel
Justin Fujita
Mike Fujita
Lance Kouchi
Kurt Sollberger
Peter Hausherr
Dan Everts
Ross Murray
Rich Erickson
Jim Schlemm
Matthew and Amy Gross

Jim & Judy Kenehan

EXHLR8N

The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Rocketman

I can't imagine anyone missing this opportunity !  I was hooked by the event there this past June; but didn't bring the Viper due to the sound issues.  This time I will make the extra effort to test the sound levels of my Viper and put my OEM exhaust back on if need be.  
Jim
'02 GTS ACR  Gray/silver

Chandler AZ

ViperX

Quote from: Rocketman on December 17, 2012, 06:00:43 PM
I can't imagine anyone missing this opportunity !  I was hooked by the event there this past June; but didn't bring the Viper due to the sound issues.  This time I will make the extra effort to test the sound levels of my Viper and put my OEM exhaust back on if need be.  

Jim,

You should be fine with your rear exit exhaust as long as you have cats and mufflers behind your headers.  If you are in doubt, have someone check your "drive by" sound emission next time you are at the track.  Most of the newer cell phones have "DB Meter" applications which are pretty good.

See you at the track,

Dan

10 BANGR

Demoe - 2006 SRT10 VERT BLACK / GRAPHITE METALLIC STRIPES

ViperX

Hi Demoe,

You should not need a roll bar to run with Speed Ventures as long as you run in the Novice group.

You will need a Snell SA 2005 or newer helmet and you should have a fire bottle, which you can get from Scott Hirko.

You will want driving shoes and six point belts will be helpful but not necessary.

Check the Speed Ventures website for more info.

See you at the track,

Dan  <2

redtanrt10

Quote from: ViperX on December 18, 2012, 10:05:09 AM
Jim,

You should be fine with your rear exit exhaust as long as you have cats and mufflers behind your headers.  If you are in doubt, have someone check your "drive by" sound emission next time you are at the track.  Most of the newer cell phones have "DB Meter" applications which are pretty good.

See you at the track,

Dan

Good tip to know, thanks Dan.  Maybe we can test my car at Willow in January.  I've got a regular muffler and the cats were replaced by a small muffler.  Don't want to swap out if I don't have too.

thanks!

Mike

ViperX

Hey Mike,

I plan to check my car's sound output at Willow in January.  We can check your car too, so we should know in plenty of time if we'll pass sound at LS.  In order to exceed 105 DB on a "drive by", the car would have to be pretty loud.

Cathy has a new phone with a DB app; and I think Lance and Anthuan actually have a DB meters.  We can ask them to bring their meters to this event and test our cars.

I'd like to run without making any changes to my car too, which has headers and 3-inch Corsa track exhausts on it now.  I think mine is a bit quieter than yours but it could just be a pitch or resonance thing.  Will be fun to find out.

See you at the track,

Dan  <2

Worst case, you can always lift just before the sound testing building and ease up that section of track till you get past sound, then hammer down.

Dan  <2

PCH VIPER

I have the same one Anhtuan has and Hirk just got one too.
I'll bring mine along.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

Quote from: PCH VIPER on December 19, 2012, 08:17:51 PM
I have the same one Anhtuan has and Hirk just got one too.
I'll bring mine along.

VERY Cool and thanks.

Looking forward to it.

Dan

Banzai Ben

Was anyone checking the sound db's at Willow last Sat? I wonder if my race GTS will be under the 105 db limit.
Thanks
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

PCH VIPER

YES ! Anhtuan checked the Db level as the red group went down the front straight.  >v

BUt I don't know what the results were   =16

I'm sure Anhtuan will chime in shortly   >v
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

Quote from: PCH VIPER on January 09, 2013, 09:04:03 AM
YES ! Anhtuan checked the Db level as the red group went down the front straight.  >v

BUt I don't know what the results were   =16

I'm sure Anhtuan will chime in shortly   >v

I was told that both Mike B and I "blew" 104.7 DB but I'm not sure how close Anthuan was to us compared to the location of the sound booth at LS.  I think he was actually closer ..... If so, we'll be OK as is.

I too am hoping Anthuan will chime in on this.

Dan  <2