Drive Laguna Seca June 28, 29, 30 with 105 Decible sound limit!

Started by ViperX, December 17, 2012, 02:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redsled

Beating sound at Laguna Seca canbe a "black magic" type of thing, especially for Vipers with side exhaust.  If you have cats, then you should be OK, but cat-less can be a problem.  Ambient temperature & air density play a large role in dbs levels at that track.  One day I would pass without issue and the next day, when the weather was colder and the air dense with low clouds I was over by 3 dbs.  I would highly suggest bringing some turn downs "just in case".

Super Villain

What Redsled says is very true.  Environmental conditions can affect the sound readings depending on how far away the readings were taken and well as the type of equipment that was used.  But for us we can only work with what we have so just take this as a general guideline.

At the Willow Springs event I took readings from the yellow wall at the pits and I also took readings from the Toyota Tower right by the straightaways.  

From the yellow wall, most of the red group were barely cracking 98-99 dB, a few of the ACR-Xs and Comp Coupes were low 100s like 101-102.

From the Toyota Tower which was crazy close and really had you guys fly by at high speed...most of red group were in the low 100s like 102dB.  A couple readings that stuck out in my mind...

Viper X hit a 104.7dB
Mike Greenberg's Comp Coupe hit 105dB
Mike Von Q hit 106dB

For everyone else there were a lot of 102s and 103s and even a few 100s and 99s...and again this was from the very close Toyota Tower.  Now granted the Tower is a little above the straight away, but it was still so close to you guys blasting by that I don't think the height was enough to make a difference.

Ben - I don't recall the exact dB number for your car, but it was below 105 dB from the Toyota Tower.  I specifically was trying to catch cars that hit 105 or over and most all of Red Group was okay from my readings.

Also keep in mind that Willow is fairly open desert so there is a lot more space for the sound to dissipate and not reverberate (i.e. like against valley walls).  Still good data points to note though.
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

ViperX

Thanks for the info A.

Like Jonathan says, in short, take it easier past the sound booth, i.e. either short shift or go to mid throttle in the early AM if it's cloudy, cool and dense air and you have aftermarket headers and exhaust. 

If you have not cats or mufflers, you might be in trouble in the above conditions. 

Stock would be easily OK as I passed the sound limit of 92 with my stock exhaust 09 ACR.

See you at the track,

Dan  <2

Jay M

2004 Convertible, Red, custom tan interior

ViperX

Quote from: Jay M on January 12, 2013, 12:00:49 PM
If there is a beginner group, I'd love to go. 

~Jay

Check with Speed Ventures.  Sometimes that have beginner groups, sometimes then don't.

Dan  <2

Matthew G

This sounds like an awesome trip.  I have never been to Laguna Sega.   Matthew Gross

PCH VIPER

Hey Matthew,
This is a great weekend getaway.
We will set up hotel accomodations right in Monterey.  Lots of great things to see and do.   
Laguna Seca is AMAZING to drive.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Matthew G

I will bring my family on this trip.  Please let me know when and where to reserve my room.  Now I just have to figure out how to safely tie down my car to my trailer.

Jay M

I emailed Arron, and he said that I'd be fine in the low intermediate group.  There is no beginner group that weekend.

So count me in!

~Jay
2004 Convertible, Red, custom tan interior

10 BANGR

Quote from: Jay M on January 23, 2013, 02:26:17 PM
I emailed Arron, and he said that I'd be fine in the low intermediate group.  There is no beginner group that weekend.

So count me in!

~Jay

Great to hear Jay.

Count me in too.

Demoe
Demoe - 2006 SRT10 VERT BLACK / GRAPHITE METALLIC STRIPES

PCH VIPER

Hotel reservations are now open and info is posted on the first post.

FYI  The Intercontinental is a beautiful hotel right on the Monterey Bay and is essentially right next door to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  We stayed there last year and it is  >v   We will be staying there again for sure.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

redtanrt10

Dan,

I just saw from a NARRA email that there is a Radical cup race scheduled at LS this same weekend.

Mike

ViperX

Quote from: redtanrt10 on February 06, 2013, 07:22:36 AM
Dan,

I just saw from a NARRA email that there is a Radical cup race scheduled at LS this same weekend.

Mike

Knowing NARRA, they screwed up, but I just emailed Aaron to find out.

Dan

Banzai Ben

2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

ViperX

Quote from: Banzai Ben on February 08, 2013, 09:01:17 AM
Darn, I can't make it this time. Schedule conflict  =17

Aaron said that a radical group bought one run session Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Should not affect our driving.

Dan  <2