September 9, 2012 Condor Run - Ventura

Started by PCH VIPER, July 25, 2012, 08:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCH VIPER

Eric Johnson plotted an incredible drive for us to enjoy.  We will start out in Westlake Village and cruise up through Ventura, Ojai, then through the Los Padres National Forest and the Sespe Condor Reserve

Cerro Noroeste is a mountain located in Southern California's Kern County, a mile north of the Ventura County border. It is located a few miles southwest of the community of Pine Mountain Club, at an elevation of 8,280+ feet (2,524+ m). The mountain is located in the Los Padres National Forest. It is surrounded by the Chumash Wilderness to the south and west, though the peak itself is not actually within the wilderness (since it is approached by a paved, public-access roadway).
The name Cerro Noroeste means 'northwest mountain'. It was formerly known as Mount Abel in honor of former Kern County supervisor Stanley Abel.[5]
The summit can be reached by taking Cerro Noroeste Road, Forest Route 9N27. The road is closed every winter after the first or second snow. It usually is reopened in May though there can still be substantial snow from heavy winters. Located near the summit are Campo Alto campground[6] and a radio tower.

Sespe Condor Sanctuary is a 53,000-acre (210 km2) wildlife refuge in the Los Padres National Forest. The United States Forest Service established the sanctuary in 1947 for the California condor, which is an endangered species and the largest living bird in North America.[1] For visitors, the sanctuary has a public-access corridor near Dough Flat.[2]
On 14 January 1992, two captive-bred California condors and two Andean Condors were released into the Sespe Condor Sanctuary, overlooking the Sespe Creek, near Fillmore, California. This was done by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge Complex, the lead office for the California Condor Recovery Program. These captive bred condors thrived in the wild and have begun to reproduce freely.[3][dead link]
Before the sanctuary was established, numerous condors were killed by power line collisions. In order to circumvent this mishap, the captive condors were treated with "mock power poles" through the power pole aversion program. These poles emitted mild shocks when landed upon. They quickly learned to avoid power poles, which has significantly reduced their mortality rate.

Meeting place :  9:00 am   Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, 968 S. Westlake Blvd, Westlake Village
Lunch at J&B Grill and BBQ in Frazier Park

Attending:
Lance
Art
Albert
Doug
Glenn & Steph
Demoe & Laura
Scott
Jim & Judy
Angel
Jon L
Bruce C
Fast Eddie
Joel
Dan & Connie
Raj
John +1
Ron & Marian
Ernie & Pat
Irfan
Eddie & Michelle
Dan & Mayo
Steve & Lynda
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

NK BREKR

AlbertFattal

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE & BLOCKCHAIN
Science, Technology & Society
Computer Information Systems

https://AlbertFattal.com/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/albertfattal/

hemotox

This is a great run.  Incredible scenery, no one on the roads, and excellent BBQ restaurant at the end of the run.  Frazier Park is close to the 5 Freeway and easy access back into So Cal.  One does not have to end up on the 101 heading south out of Ventura County.  The run goes through the top villages on Mt. Pinos and winds down into Frazier Park.  BBQ restaurant is excellent, beers are $1.00, they just need a heads up on when the club will arrive and about how many people for lunch.  I believe it is called J&B BBQ, Frazier Park.  There is a stretch of Hwy 33 > 166 junction that has no one on it, so maybe Art can get his viper up to speed!

I will post more information on this later.

There is another option on returning to So Cal.  Just about 1-2 miles west of the BBQ restaurant is the turnoff for Lockwood Valley.  This is a completely vacant road back to the 33 highway and back into Ojai > easy access to Ventura and the 101.  Will also post this as a return home option.  There is no one on this road and it has some great twisty roads on the west end of the valley.

2008 SRT10 Coupe Snake Skin Green with Silver Stripes, only 17 produced in 2008

1HOTACR

Quote from: hemotox on July 31, 2012, 06:47:25 PM
This is a great run.  Incredible scenery, no one on the roads, and excellent BBQ restaurant at the end of the run.  Frazier Park is close to the 5 Freeway and easy access back into So Cal.  One does not have to end up on the 101 heading south out of Ventura County.  The run goes through the top villages on Mt. Pinos and winds down into Frazier Park.  BBQ restaurant is excellent, beers are $1.00, they just need a heads up on when the club will arrive and about how many people for lunch.  I believe it is called J&B BBQ, Frazier Park.  There is a stretch of Hwy 33 > 166 junction that has no one on it, so maybe Art can get his viper up to speed!

I will post more information on this later.

There is another option on returning to So Cal.  Just about 1-2 miles west of the BBQ restaurant is the turnoff for Lockwood Valley.  This is a completely vacant road back to the 33 highway and back into Ojai > easy access to Ventura and the 101.  Will also post this as a return home option.  There is no one on this road and it has some great twisty roads on the west end of the valley.

Nice pic Eric...  Where did you find the photo of our "VoooDoo" wing man?     ^2

Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

PCH VIPER

I've already contacted JB's and he knows we are coming   >q
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

JonathanL

Up in the mountains again, eh? Now I gotta see if there are any good hiking trails or summits near, haha.

I should be good for this. Though, that's a lot of miles for me  >m

GTSDoug

1HOTACR

Glenn and Steph are in ....   Going to bring our first born.
       1HOTV10  wants to stretch her legs   <1
Glenn
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

hemotox

1HOTV10

Looks like the condor is related to you new baby!

NK BREKR

Hey Doc,

I hope my Viper can keep up with the SSG.

10 BANGR

I'm in with my scared wife Laura. Look at her... she is petrified.
Demoe - 2006 SRT10 VERT BLACK / GRAPHITE METALLIC STRIPES

1HOTACR

DUDE!!!   Easy on the razor blades    ^2 <1
Glenn
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

10 BANGR

It was the weed wacker that malfunctioned.
Demoe - 2006 SRT10 VERT BLACK / GRAPHITE METALLIC STRIPES

hemotox

Here is a map, (not drawn to scale), of the So Cal Viper CONDOR RUN

September 9, 2012 - A Most Excellent Run, No Traffic, and the Vistas are Incredible!   <2 >g