Feb.2nd - THE DRAGS AT IRWINDALE RACEWAY

Started by Pam, December 06, 2011, 08:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

This is the same track that I raced the ZR1 for the Royal Purple contest (that never got televised because I beat him!).

Not crazy about the end of the track where one lane kinda merges into one.

Anhtuan,

What are the safety requirements and at what ET / Trap speeds?

I ran just over 7 seconds ET (on Auto Cross tires) but trapped at 108 mph in the ACR.

Dan

Super Villain

As it applies to most all of us...which are cars with un-altered floors, firewalls, and frame rails...in the 1/8 mile

For coupes, if you run 7.35 secs or quicker you will need to have:

-5-point roll bar
-Protective clothing (SFI jacket  with 3.2A/1 rating)
-5 point harness (with current date stamp they don't allow belts older than 2 years)

If they are real sticklers (which I have yet to encounter) they could also look at:
-SFI approved flywheel and/or clutch
-Screw-in valve stems
-No window tint expect factory

(For convertibles all the above fun starts at 8.25 or quicker)

If you run 6.99 or quicker then they could also look at making sure you have:
-Aftermarket axles with positive retention (not really an issue with our independent rear suspension)
-Transmission shield SFI Spec 4.1
-Harmonic Balancer SFI Spec 18.1

I am running around 6.7-ish and honestly I have never had them go that far into the inspection.  The Roll Bar, Jacket, and harness are usually about as far as they go.

MPH doesn't usually come into play on the 1/8 mile, but for 1/4 mile the rules start getting stiffer as you trap over 135 MPH.
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

ViperX

A,

Thanks for the info.

I was afraid of how the drag rules would affect Viper.  Part of the reason I stopped messing with the drags.  Way too many rules that affect Viper.  Slower, less powerful cars are easier to run at the drags.

My ACR has the roll bar but no "down" bar up front", a fire system and 6 points, so I may or may not be OK.  It could trap 135 mph at 10.95 if everything goes right but it's not likely.

My 2004 Paxton Beast traps over 140 mph in the 1/4, is a convertible, has a roll bar with no down bar, 1/2 shaft loops, a scatter shield over the clutch, an SFI damper and 6 points with a fire bottle, so I likely could not run it fast either.

Your videos were cool to watch.

Dan

Leo

Great meeting everyone at the track.

Looks like we might be the last ones to get a chance to race at this track!

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_19947701

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120213/NASCAR/120219947

Banzai Ben

Wow! That sucks. I guess Formula Drift will have to find a new location too. >o
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue