SPRING MOUNTAIN Motorsports Ranch - June 5 & 6

Started by ViperX, December 01, 2009, 10:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCH VIPER

Quote from: Rocketman on April 25, 2010, 12:15:39 PM
Dan,
I was about to buy a cheap single layer driving suit for the Spring Mountain event.

I just wanted to verify that they will accept a SFI 3-2A/1 suit  (Like what was hot-linked in the flyer) with no special underwear.

The reason that I ask is that I have been researching a bit on suits and find that NASA and SCCA require fire resistant underwear with a SFI 3-2A/1 suit, so, I wondered if that might be where the SM insurance company is getting their requirement from.

I will never be in anything but low intermediate and no racing; so, as far as I'm concerned, this is just window dressing for me.

Thanks,
Jim Schlemm

Hey Jim,
While you may consider it to be just "window dressing" , here is some food for thought.
I too consider myself in the low intermediate group and don't have any aspirations of getting to the "race" group.
That being said, I'd also say that there is a lack of "experience and skill" which is keeping us from the race group. That lack of skill puts me at a bit higher risk if something were to go wrong on the track.  I realize that the race group is going a heck of a lot faster and the possibility of a more catastrophic incident is greater, but at the same time their experience should prove to be an advantage for them.  Bottom line is that there is always that risk of something happening.

With Spring Mountain in particular, they utilize an advanced light warning system which eliminates a bunch of corner workers.   Normally corner workers have fire extinguishers at their stations and are, in some cases, the first line of defense for a car fire.  It may take an extra 15 - 30 seconds for the fire safety crew to roll and arrive at the scene.   THIS is where the fire suit is no longer window dressing, but quite possibly the few extra precious seconds that you may need to get unbuckled and out of a car that is on fire.

I realize that these are events that we hope NEVER happen and we drive responsibly and within our capabilities at the track......but,  What if....?    Better to be prepared and safe don't you think?

FWIW, I too started out looking for a very inexpensive suit to "meet" the minimum requirements.  But with some searching and lucky timing, I was able to hit the Sparco sale and picked up a top line suit for a great price.
Next item for me is the Hans device. That's a whole new post.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

Hey Carlos,

Rotor and pad swaps are pretty simple.

We might be able to help you with this at Lance's shop if he is available.

On the pads, I'd recommend the Porterfield R4's for the front, or OE pads - your choice.

At the rear, OE pads are fine.

The Stoptech ACR rotors are likely the best value.  Call JonB at Partsrack for these or check with DC Performance.

You should also bleed the brakes while you are doing this.  You'll need 3 pints of Motul RB 600 which you can get locally or order from JonB.

Dan

ViperX

Hey Jim,

I responded to your email earlier this morning on driving suits, so won't duplicate it here.

There is a lot to be said about driving in lower groups, safety and driver skill.  I feel much safer running with more experienced drivers at higher speeds primarily because more experienced drivers are more "aware" of what is going on or about to go on about them and as a result, they are much more "predictable" drivers.  Most of them also know the basics so well that reacting becomes instinct rather that thought, which means they won't over react most of the time and when they must react, it is quick and usually correct.

Sometimes, this is not the case.  If you watch the video I posted of me running Buttonwillow a few weeks ago, you'll see me catch a white Porsche Turbo, present my car for the pass, then you'll see him swerve in front of me right in the middle of the "Bus Stop", then he attempts to point me by in an unsafe place.  He clearly did not see my car, though I had been following him for quite some time ..... and I did not pass there as it wasn't safe given his car control skill level.

As I followed him, I became pretty sure that he did not belong in this group and really didn't drive very well.  Swerving and driving off line are pretty good tips that the driver is either inexperienced or just not paying attention.

In any case, you will look cool in your new driving suit.

Hey Lance,

I need a HANS device too and would like to find a local outfit that will sell me one and install the helmet clips.  Let me know if you find a guy.

Dan

NK BREKR

Dan, 

Regarding the HANS device, Ben posted where he got his below, maybe you and Lance can carpool to the place and while they install the clips we can go get some Philly Cheesesteaks? My office is about 5 minutes from the place.

Quote from: Banzai Ben on March 08, 2010, 05:50:41 PM
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the info. I think I need to get one since I've had so much trouble with my timer.
I sent my AIM timer back today to see if they will do anything about it. I also tried a Iphone app timer
that didn't work well. It said "weak GPS signal" and gave me very different times.

I got the Hans device at Werks2 in Burbank 912 Chestnut St Burbank 91506. 818 845-2530
They include the installation of the posts on your helmut. A little far for you so you so you might want to
check OC for a place.

Wow! 138 mph entering 8! Man, you are flyin'. It's so bumpy through that turn, kinda scary sometimes.
What's your next track event?

Ben

PCH VIPER

I'd make the trip JUST for the Philly Cheesesteaks....if it is the same place we went to last time  >v

www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

I have a weakness for Philly Cheese steaks too.

Maybe Ben can help us with what we should expect.  HANS cost, clip install cost, can they do the clips "while we wait", etc.

I'll want the newer HANS with the sliding tether so that I can move my head from side to side a little bit and I'll want clips installed on at least two helmets.

Dan

NK BREKR

Paging Dr. Kawata!

Same place Lance and if you approve, then Dan will most definitely approve too.

Here's some visual stimuli for you Dan:
Rib-eye steak, melted blend of provolone & white American, sauteed onions and served on a 9" Amoroso's Italian roll.

http://www.southstreetcheesesteak.com/

Sandwiches will be my treat fellas.

ViperX

Art,

Here's some visual stimuli for you Dan:
Rib-eye steak, melted blend of provolone & white American, sauteed onions and served on a 9" Amoroso's Italian roll.

http://www.southstreetcheesesteak.com/

You're killing me.

<2

NK BREKR

Dan, I know I probably had you at Ribeye, but they also have Chicken cheesesteaks that
Fast Eddie gave a big thumbs up to, so you can bring Cathy too!

Fast Eddie and Ben you're welcomed to come too!

1HOTACR

I think the Sidewinders need to hook up with 'Food Lovers.com'.   Pay Robert now or Simpson for a (Larger)
suit soon.    He would love to train us. Hup! Hup! Hup!   (Our family friend and trainer).   By the way this racing thing is getting to be addictive in  the pocket.  But hey it's just money.  Just have to work a couple more weekends to pay for the Semi hauler,  pit crew, cheer leaders , PERSONAL D.C. Mechanics, and T.V. spot.

Watch out for TeamIzard sponsored by NordicNursery.com and CaliforniaTire.com <1

https://www.foodloversfatloss.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=food%20lovers&utm_campaign=Food+Lovers+Fat+Loss+-+Core+Terms+High+Volume&refcd=google+food%20lovers
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

Rocketman

Lance and Dan, thanks for the inputs.   I hear what you are saying, and it sets me off thinking again. (dammit)  The rollover at BW happened to someone in my group.  I also had an issue where I was following someone close enough to get by when the opportunity presented itself, waiting for the point by, when they lifted at an extremely unlikely point and I was almost not ready for that.  I am also just learning, myself. 

See you all in June.

Jim

Jim
'02 GTS ACR  Gray/silver

Chandler AZ

Banzai Ben

Hey guys,

You're making me hungry! But I'm on a strict diet so don't torture me!

Regarding the HANS, I got the pro model($950 and 1 lb.) only because they didn't have the sport model($650 and 2 lbs.) in stock. Mine has the sliding tethers with regular clips. I wish I had gotten the quick release clips because the regular ones are a pain in the ass to unhook. They installed the posts while I waited, about 15-20 minutes.

I'd be up for going to see if I can switch my clips out and I'm sure I could find something on the menu to eat.
Thanks,
Ben
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

Banzai Ben

Forgot to mention that Werks2 is open Saturdays from 10-4:00.
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

Speedtactics

Hey Dan did I see you on a TV commercial? Forum wars? Did I miss the details of that??
Can't miss that laugh of yours!
Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics

ViperX

Yep,

That was me.  Check the post on this website or on the VCA website, not sure now....

Dan