2008 Viper Tragedy to Triumph - The True Story

Started by 1HOTACR, May 09, 2008, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1HOTACR

There have been many posts recently on various sites (VCA, Viper Alley, SRTforums, jalopnik, etc.) regarding a dealership porter who totaled a new Viper.  This was to be our car and we'd like to share with you the actual story...

When the 2008 "Gen 4" Vipers were announced, we built our dream car online with serious intentions of ordering one.  Last fall, with the loss of both of Glenn's elderly parents, we decided there was more to life than having another Viper in the barn, so we put getting a new one on the back burner.

In March, Glenn went to our local Dodge dealer for his monthly parts fix.  As he was leaving the parts department he looked into the showroom and couldn't believe his eyes.  There sat the identical car we had built - Venom Red Coupe with black stripes, "H" wheels, black and gray interior, and so on.  Supposedly, it was 1 of 4 that had been built to these specs.  When he got home and told me we looked at each other and said "Could this be an omen?" >m "Are we meant to have this car?"  With that in mind, we immediately went back to look at it.
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

admin

After much discussion, a few days later we started negotiation with the dealer.  Three long days later, we reached an agreement with the Owner of the dealership.  On Good Friday, as we sat in the finance office signing the final paperwork, we watched as our new baby was driven off the showroom floor by the porter.  It was our understanding that he would be parking it just outside.  A few minutes later the sales manager came in and said "We think your car has just been in an accident" and vanished.  >1 At first we thought he was joking with us, but then an eerie hush fell over the dealership.  Moments later, we heard the sirens and got a sick feeling in our stomachs.  We ventured outside to investigate, and to our horror discovered that the porter and our original salesman had taken the car to fill it with gas.  Within a block of the dealership, at a high speed, he lost control, crashing into a parked car which was pushed through a chain link fence into a security guard trailer at a construction site for a new dealership.  <B The porter was not hurt, but the sales rep (who didn't have his seatbelt on) slammed into the dash and hurt his leg pretty bad.  His saving grace was the airbag.  Luckily, the construction crew had already quit for the day, otherwise several of them could have been seriously injured.  I took the pictures below at the crash site.

admin

Needless to say, we were devastated.  There are many rumors floating around as to what actually happened, but only the porter knows for sure.  The fact is the window stickers had not removed before leaving the lot, the sales rep should have never been in the car (especially without his seatbelt on), they were going too fast (in someone else's car), lost control and murdered our new baby, which only had five miles on it, R.I.P.!

After a depressing Easter weekend (the accident occurred at 3:00 on Good Friday), on Monday morning we headed back into the dealership to see how they planned to fix this problem.  What mattered to us was that they get us another car.  Production of the Venom Red had ended on March 8, so they couldn't order a new one.  Instead, they had to locate another one to our specs.  We also had a chance to look at the totaled car again, the pictures speak for themselves.

admin

To make a very long story short, they located another car for us in Texas.  It was not exactly the same, but pretty close, so it was brought in for us to inspect.

admin

(Notice in the picture above the crashed one is under the tent)

Two and a half weeks and some minor modifications later, we took possession of our new car.   <L <9  It was a thrill following it home!

admin

We have tried to wrap our minds around why all of this happened.  We experienced the full gamut of emotion during a very stressful three week period.  We decided that life is not always the way it's supposed to be - it's the way it is and how you cope with it is what makes the difference. 

Sometimes things do happen for a reason.  Maybe the original car was just not meant to be on the road with anyone (even though it's gut-wrenching to see a beautiful piece of art like this mangled!)  All we can say is that as tragic as this story is, the dealership jumped into high gear, solved this dilemma, and triumphantly created a happy ending for us. 

Having a good relationship with fellow business owners and buying local can make a difference, not to mention practicing good Karma. 

Heartfelt thanks go out to all the people involved in helping us bring home our new baby!  >2

Glenn & Steph

ViperX

Interesting story;

Glad everything worked out OK.

Nice garage by the way .....

Dan  <2

PCH VIPER

What a story !   
I read the original posts about this car and had no idea it was yours.  Incredible.

I think the Porter needs to go to Viper Days or sign up for the club's Car Control Clinic (C3)  <1

www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

SSSSE YA

Hey Glenn and Steph,
I finally found the post, It brought a tear to my eye. The two of you are like family to Cathy and I, we are glad it all worked out in the end.  <2

I think I see some dirt on the wheels where is Glenn?? <L

SSSSE YA soon.
Cathy & Rob

Vypr Phil

Hey Stephanie and Glenn,

Will you take both cars out for the Ventura Run?

How will you decide who drives which car?

Phil
Vypr Phil    2005 SRT-10 Roadster - Sold

"If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up too much space"

1HOTACR

Stephanie takes the Coupe and I burn my scalp in the Convertible

"That was Easy"

Glenn....
Glenn
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

ViperX

Hey Glenn,

Sounds like you need a new Viper hat?

I always wear one when driving my convertible.

So, what's your favorite color / style?

Dan

HISSSN1

Glenn and Steph that is a sad story but glad it ended out ok for you. I was told by a manager at Dodge that for every 100 vipers sold 18 get wrecked on the way home most of the damage is right rear he said. I do not know how true it is but I can see it happening. You have a very nice garage, and you are right about Karma it works. See you at the Ventura run.

Eddie
2009 ACR VENOM B
2010 ACR-X Chassis #15
2015 HELLCAT CHARGER
2017 ACR E 1 of 1 Viper Detroit Battleship Gray
2019 Hellcat Redeye

Vypr Phil

Quote from: HISSSN1 on May 24, 2008, 06:28:38 AM
Glenn and Steph that is a sad story but glad it ended out ok for you. I was told by a manager at Dodge that for every 100 vipers sold 18 get wrecked on the way home most of the damage is right rear he said. I do not know how true it is but I can see it happening. You have a very nice garage, and you are right about Karma it works. See you at the Ventura run.

Eddie

Skip Thomas, Viper Days founder and head honcho told us during class room instruction that 1 out of 6 Vipers ends up totaled per insurance industry statistics...

Phil
Vypr Phil    2005 SRT-10 Roadster - Sold

"If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up too much space"

1HOTACR

Hey Dan !

I have lots of Viper hats. But we all look like Twinzies on the road  especially driving our Rag tops
so I am planing to wear one of my Vintage Sombreros' . HappyBounce
Hasta! Glenn..........
Glenn
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E