Previous topic - Next topic

Banzai Ben

2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

ViperX

Hey Ben and All,

Make sure and sign up early as they usually sell out.  We are already signed up.

Dan 8)

redtanrt10

Dan,  Looks like a good event and anxious to take my coupe out. Also look at a learning session before Viper Days next year. Few questions, haven't ever been there, how long a drive to track from S OC? I'm thinking Friday night through LA will be a long time, considering Sat AM, should I reconsider? Any local recommendations on geting tech'd in advance?  Might not be able to stay Sunday, how many sessions do you think on Saturday?  thanks for the help!  Mike

ViperX

Hey Mike,

We plan to trailer my GTS up on Friday, leave mid day and get there before the track closes at 5PM on Friday.  It's about a 2 hour ride from OC, traffic permitting of course.  If you cannot leave before 1pm Friday from south OC, you should probably leave after 7pm.  We normally stay at the Best Western Antelope Valley Inn as it gives a good price break if you mention that you are running at Willow Springs.

These folks are pretty liberal on tech for the entry level run groups and your car is new, i.e. you should not have any problems.  Make sure your fluid levels and tire pressures are correct.  I complete the self tech form, fax it to DC and have DC sign it and attach a (copy of a) business card per their instructions.  You will get to run four sessions on each day, which will be plenty.  I can give you a ride in my GTS and show you the driving line if you'd like.  As a first timer, you should run in the beginner group and have an instructor.  I think club member Ray McIntrye will be there.  He's a very good driver and instructor. 

You should stay Sunday if you can as Saturday is pretty busy with lots of cars (it's fun to pass them!).Many folks don't drive Sunday and you will get more and better track time.

Make sure to get a helmet rated Snell 2000 or newer and wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and pants with closed shoes as a minimum.

Dan <2

catwood

I've got a garage rented, the one next to Saxton's, so stop by and say hi. 

Carl

redtanrt10

Dan,

thanks for the hotel info, not sure if I can get out of work Friday.  Thanks for the tip w/Dan, he went over my car the week after the dyno day.  Appreciate your offer on the ride, never been there and except for a couple of SRT events, and VOI it's been about 4 years since I tracked in Phoenix.  I signed for the lowest group so I'd get an instructor to show the lines.  I'm hopeful if this group is slow I can move up after a session or two. Would like to stay Sunday but have a dealer show in Vegas starting Monday night, not sure? Ordered an extingushier today from Roe, JonB has PS2's and 6 points in the mail. Found a nice set of sidewinders locally.  Looking forward to this event and Viper days.  Thanks for all the help!

Mike

catwood

Mike...have you tracked this car before or driven Willowsprings at all?  I suspect you'll have one of the faster cars in your group.  It will be good practice for Viperdays when they run there next spring.  If you can stay part of Sunday I strongly suggest it.  You might, big might, be able to move up a group if you're doing well depending on room.

ViperX

Hey Mike,

Sounds good.  You never know how fast or slow the run groups will be.  I'd be careful with moving up in run groups if you haven't run there before.  I've been there more than a few times and am still learning this track and exploring the car's limits (which I keep changing with mods!).  Saturday is usually very well attended.  It can be a very good day to learn passing, learn the line and patience.  Sunday is usually faster with fewer cars.

Will you be joining us on Saturday at the Coronado Speed Festival?  See the post for more info.

Carl,

We tried to get a garage for the group, but all had been reserved long ago.

See you Saturday.

Dan

catwood

Once you rent a garage it stays yours by default which is cool.  Paul and I are sharing it but you all feel free to stop by.  Bring a chair if you want to sit in the shade.

Carl

redtanrt10

Carl,   Haven't tracked the '06, not been at Willow.  Had my ACR @ VOI, did  run it in Phoenix 4 plus years ago. Got out of track days after move here to SCA. Phoenix had 3 tracks within 45 minutes and Eddie Martin was always on hand for tech support, Rich Muzzy, Frank P, Tony Estes and others were great for track advice.  Miss that group and looking to find new friends and support out here.

Dan, definately there to learn and not set the track record. Not sure what to expect in the low group, hoping that they'll keep moderate pace since I assume no or limited passing.

You guys both have me convinced to stay for Sunday.  Thanks for the support!

Hoping to go to Coronado Saturday, let you guys know

catwood

If they have passing it will be point by and only on the straight.  I think the slow group starts off with practice passing on the front straight and by sunday goes to point bys.  I have some friends and the wife going up and the passenger seat probably won't be empty or else I'd offer you a ride in one of the sessions.  There will be a lot of cars on the track as compared to other events like next wednesday's deal. 

Carl

ViperX

Hey Mike,

Carl is right.  This group usually lets you pass only in the straights with a point by, which is usually OK when first starting at a new track.  Sunday is the  better day though, glad you are planning to stay.  You'll be glad you did.

We are developing a small group of guys who like to track their Vipers, so keep looking at this board.  I'll likely go to the track once or twice a month, weather permitting, through the end of April or mid May, too hot after that for me.

I've had very good success running with TCRA.  Viper guys with some experince can run in their "open" group and pass anywhere on the track and the price is really good too.  I will likely run with the Alfa Romeo group on October 13 & 14 at Willow to check them out for our group.

Viper Days will be here next year, likely three times.  Viper Days is the best of these events with great support and organization compared to others.

Let me know if you'd like to do parade laps at Coronado so I can put you on our list.

Dan

Radical Guy

I'm getting an oil change and tech. inspection at DC Performance on Fri., 10/26.  I ended up getting the fire extinguisher from Roe Racing.  Parts Rack has a contact person for these, but it was easier to see and order online with Roe.  I also ordered tow hooks from Parts Rack.  I am planning on driving out Sat. morning and then staying Sat. night at the Inn of Lancaster where the registration form said everyone was staying.

See you out there!

Brent  ^2
2004 SRT-10

catwood

I know a few of us are staying over here.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05050

Not sure of the place though but it's the new "Track" hotel as the previous place became a retirement home.  I think the price is $79 per night.

ViperX

Hey Carl,

This is the new "track hotel".  We stayed there a couple of weeks ago.  It's "OK" for Lancaster.  A bit better than the Essex House in my opinion.  Older but clean.  Food in the restaurant was good, breakfast is included each morning and was above average.   The bar had live music on Saturday night and we got a couple of free cocktails with our room.

We plan to stay there again.

Dan 8)