Laguna Seca Sat July 18 w Speed Ventures

Started by DavidSB, July 04, 2009, 04:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidSB

A few of us are going to Laguna Seca with Speed Ventures for Saturday, July 18. We're meeting up at my house here in Santa Barbara on Friday, July 17 at 2:00 PM and driving up together, staying at the Ramada in Marina, CA, and returning home Saturday night. Anyone interested in joining please email me at [email protected].
David

ViperX

Doesn't this track have a noise limit?

If so, will Vipers pass and be allowed to run?

I've always wanted to drive Laguna Seca but have heard that our cars are too loud, even stock.

Dan  <2

DavidSB

They have a noise monitoring station going up the hill. I've raced the Skip Barber Formula Dodge cars that are pretty loud and have been there for the historic races and they all seem to pass the noise standard. I don't think Vipers are louder but I'd check with Speed Ventures. It is a very cool track that's one of the most fun I've driven.

Redsled

Yes, there is an absolute noise level at Laguna Seca.  There are certain weekends when the noise levels are allowed to be increased (ALMS, Moto GP, Historics, SCCA Racing) All non racing events are usually 91-92db.  A Viper with stock exhaust will be very close to passing sound, but not gauranteed.  You could always short shift or lift going past the microphone so that you could squeek by.  An aftermarket exhaust with headers and HF cats probably will be too loud, but like I mentioned you could always lift.  You get 3 sound violations before you are booted from the track.  The major problem with the Vipers Gen 3, is the side exhaust.  It shoots the sound directly at the microphone, so direction of the sound is just as important as the decibel level.

ViperX

As much as I'd like to drive this track, I wouldn't take the chance of "trailering" my car all the way up there and getting "booted" as Jonathan says.

My 09 ACR with side exhaust includes headers, high flow cats and the Corsa Track muffler system.  While this system does not drone, it's pretty loud at WOT.

Good luck to those who go,

Dan

EXHLR8N

You are right about the noice level ... 92 dcb.  they measure it going up the hill after turn 5.

This is why I am going with the MINI.  The Viper will never make it, especially with the pipes going out the sides.

Too bad.
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

ViperX

Bruce,

At the last dyno day, our Gen IV cars with headers, high flow cats and Corsa Track at WOT made 112 decibels.  The sound measuring device was much closer, but we'll never make 92 db, especially with side exhaust.

The Mini should be fine.  Just be careful in high speed turns.

I've seen 4 Mini's wrecked (roll overs) in the last two years.  2 of them at Willow Springs, turn 9.  One of the drivers didn't make it.

Dan  <2

EXHLR8N

Great advice.  Last time, one of the MINI's wrecked there at turn 2 (rolled over 3 times .... luckily the driver wasn't hurt).

That's the nice thing about being old and slow .... I learned my lesson at Willow 4 years ago (remember my trip off-road?).

PCH VIPER

Did someone say OLD and SLOW ??
Art is talking about me again !!
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

Hey Bruce,

Yep, I remember it well.

We're all getting along in age and I for one would like to continue for a while ..... so I'm a bunch more careful than some others that I know.

Just a thought, if you don't have five point harnesses in your Mini, you may want to consider them if you are going to track that little guy!

Dan

hemotox

I don't know EXLR8N, looks like the management is beating on you for taking a Mini S....  Looks like we have some education to do.   Minis ROCK, and the fun meter goes pretty high!  Especially on a tiwsty that would have some vipers in the trees.

>g

2008 SRT10 Coupe Snake Skin Green with Silver Stripes, only 17 produced in 2008

ViperX

Hey Doc,

Mini's do look like fun albeit they're a bit small inside (for me).

I've seen too many of them roll on the track.  Short wheelbase not conducive to faster turns.

They are better Auto Cross cars than track cars IMHO.

As for "Vipers in the trees", you need to take a "track" ride with me some day in the ACR.  The sustained G forces this car is capable of are just crazy high.  No other street car comes close.

Dan  <2

EXHLR8N

Laguna was great.  Mike Bryant, as usual, in his GT3 beat us all ... low 150's.

The MINI faired well ..... it broke 2 minutes!!!

Love that track!  Too bad for the noise restrictions ... it would be fun to do in Vipers.

Dan - by the way, there was a brand new one with stock everything and it made it under 92 dcb

ViperX

"there was a brand new one with stock everything and it made it under 92 dcb"

This is good to know.

Glad you had fun and returned safely.

Dan

PCH VIPER

Gee, I wonder if a stock ACR will pass the sound police?
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures