Skid Pad - The Balcony at Willow Springs? Sat./Sun. May 9th and 10th

Started by Super Villain, April 02, 2009, 04:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Villain

UPDATE - looks like they just added a Sat. and Sun. on May 9th and 10th!  I am editing my post because I think the weekend would be much easier for most!

Speed Ventures will be up at Streets of Willow Sat. and Sun. May 9th and 10th.  But they were hoping to run a car control / drift area up in the Balcony and this caught my eye. 

For those that attended the Car Control Clinic back in the Fall, it will be just like the skip pad (big circle) where we learned throttle steering and got the feeling of the back end sliding out.  They won't have any cones to hit, just a big circle marked in the ground.  And for only $70 bucks what a great way to spend the day cruising out there, play a little car control/drift, and then head home.

Was wondering if we could get 10 people interested enough to sign up on either of those days (May 9th or May 10th)?

Email from SV with more details on the event:
"The Balcony skid pad is actually up the hill from the Streets.  On a google map, you can see it behind the Budweiser Balcony snack bar above the big track.  One car goes out at a time and can do what they like.  There are no cones but there is a donut-hole in the middle of the pad that you can use to set your turns.  Depending on how many drivers are signed up, you go out for a number of minutes and then the supervisor waves a flag telling you to come in.  Historically, the drivers who have run our skid pad have gotten obscene amounts of time on it for the money.  Many of the serious drifters bring another set of tires/wheels.  If you want instruction, I'm sure we can line that up."

I will admit that the thing that still gets me "puckered" when road racing is going into a turn too fast and having that tail come swinging out.  I was hoping getting more seat time at an event like this would help build more confidence in driving.

It will be like getting a big lot all to ourselves!

Here is the link:
http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=249

"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

ViperX

SV,

This can be fun.  I may run one of those dates on the big track, not sure yet.

Dan

Super Villain

Just updated...they added a weekend May 9th and 10th so hopefully that will be easier for most people to make it...I know it'll be easier for me! ;)

The Balcony Skid Pad would run both times if they can get enough people.  Hopefully we can get enough people and have Viper Skid Pad day!
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan