Toyo R888 Track Tires at a discount

Started by ViperX, August 19, 2008, 03:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

Hey Guys,

I wanted to share the following info with the group.  Thanks to a couple of other Viper track guys, I've come to know John Berget of JB Racing Tires.  John buys good, used, shaved race tires, typically Toyos and Dunlops and then re-sells them to folks like us who track our cars occaisionally at a very large discount.

I've been buying track tires from John for over a year now and have been very happy with his products, service and prices. 

I am now buying Toyo R888's in sizes 305 x 35 x 18 fronts and 335 x 30 x 18 rears.  Prices vary depending upon the condition of the tires from $400 to $450 for a set of 4 Toyo R888's delivered to your door, ready to mount and run.  This is about 1/3 the price of a new set of PS2s.  Dunlop or other slicks may be a bit more costly.

The Toyo R888 is the newest Toyo DOT approved race tire, i.e. you can drive to the track on these, track the car all weekend and then drive home.  Tread wear rating is 100, so it's stickier than street tires and will take quite a bit more heat.  FYI, the new Michelin PS Cup, which is OE on the new ACR also has a tread wear rating of 100.

SRT guys please note, you will need 18 inch rims to run these tires, 11 x 18 fronts / 13 x 18 rears and an E-brake relocation kit (available from Dave Cawthorne).  RT and GTS guys, you are good to go if you have 18 inch rims.

You can contact John or Mike at 2672-740-0180 or email them at [email protected] for more info.

Dan   8)

Super Villain

That is an awesome deal!  Good find Dan, thanks for sharing!  Under $500 for 4 track tires is an amazing price.  The best prices I have ever found on these new are through forgeline and in those sizes they run about $333 to $345 EACH.

I run these on my C5 Corvette (supercharged 627 rwhp 595 rwtq).  And even though these are road racing tires I took the car out to the 1/8 mile in Irwindale just to see how'd she run.  Without even airing down the tires and just running her the exact way she came out the the garage I got a 1.7 60 foot (not great since I had to baby it off the line, but not bad).  And then went on to run a 7.0 at 102.7 mph in the 1/8 mile...that is like a 10.9/11.0 quarter mile run! 

Great tires!

Then in Sept I can run the same set up at the Roval with Speed Ventures.  Running the Viper on Sat. and the Vette on Sun.

And now with a deal like this I can get a set for the Viper so as to save my PS2s.  Now I just need to get some 18" track wheels.  Looks like I'll need to make another call to CCW ;)  Sigh it never ends.

Only question is how many track days do you think we could get out of a set like that?
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

ViperX

Super Villain,

How long these tires will last depends on how hard you are on your tires.  I'd like to say that the faster you drive, (on the track) the shorter their life span.  This is not totally true as some of us are faster than others and also smoother.  I found that I was harder on tires when I first started tracking my car than I am now, and I'm quite a bit faster (and smoother) now than I was.

I get about 4 days at the track (4 sessions at about 25 - 30 minutes each) with these tires in my GTS, sometimes another day.  Air / track temps effect tire life too.  I am currently able to run consistent 1:35s at Willow Springs and 2:05s at Buttonwillow (race #13 clockwise) without sliding the car.  Sliding the car, excessive corrections, over braking and generally creating heat will melt tires and cause premature wear.  These are not blazing fast times, but they are relatively good for an amatuer who does this for fun and relaxation.  Going "balls out" on the track, always right on the edge of loosing control of my car is not relaxing for me, but I do enjoy passing other cars, safely.

FYI we are planning a trip to Auto Club Speedway in the fall with Speed Ventures (Nov 22 and 23).  Perhaps you can join us.  We will be at Viper Days - Willow Springs in September - wish you could join us.

I don't know your "track" experience level (you could be an ex-pro driver) but would suggest caution on the "roval" if you haven't driven it before.  Those walls can be very hard on your car and the infield track is very tight.  If you go off track, the grass is very slick and you will slide for a while.  I found the 90 degree turn at the end of the roval very challenging at speed (I was braking from 150 mph to make that turn).

See you at the track,

Dan

PS  A group of us will be at Lance's shop this Saturday morning.  Come by and meet our group if you get a chance.  See the post "Do it yourself tech day" for more info. 

Super Villain

Quote from: ViperX on August 20, 2008, 10:07:11 AM
I don't know your "track" experience level (you could be an ex-pro driver)

I guess I would have had to have been a pro driver before I could be an ex-pro driver, huh?  Darn it!  <m

I am only now starting my road racing adventures.  I come from the world of drag strips and go to the 1/8 mile at Irwindale pretty regularly at times, with my Vette.  So I have a learning curve with the road racing.  But like in drag racing I am sure the rules of "Never drive beyond your skill" and "Smooth is fast" still applies ;)

I imagine I will be going through tires like madness while I am learning the finer points...which is why the deal on these are so great!

So roughly 4 track days equaling about 14-16 sessions is not bad for the price!

I am going to try and make as many Auto Club Speedway track events as I can...it is such a nice track and with all the grass there is less worry about rocks and sand flying everywhere.  But as you said one does slide ;)

I will be at Lance's on Sat!  Talk to you more then!

Anhtuan

"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

Super Villain

Hi Dan,

Can you double check the phone number you have listed for these guys?  I sent them an email today, but with Viper Days around the corner I wanted to give them a call and make sure.

thanks!

Anhtuan

Super Villain

Super Villain

I just ordered 2 sets of tires from them!  Should be here next Thursday.  Spoke to John and he was really great to deal with!  I highly recommend...just a really good guy all around to do business with.   

>v

Williow Springs and Auto Club Speedway here I come!

<2

Redsled

SV-Do you have a baffled oil pan or the Comp Coupe swing arm p/u system on your motor?

Super Villain

ViperX

Hey Guys,

For those of you who'd like to try a set of slicks, JB Tire now has Dunlop racing slicks available from time to time in 18 inch sizes.  300 x 18 front, 340 x 18 rear.  These are about the same as our more commonly known 305 front and 335 rears.  You'd want to mount them on 11 x 18 front and 12 x 18 rear rims.  Prices are very good for the amount of rubber these uses tires have on them, about the same as the Toyo R888's depending on condition.

I would not recommend driving to and from the track with these but if you're going to trailer your car, these could be fun.

Dan

kurohara

I will be going the Friday session for the first time. Just put on a brand new Michelins PS2s. adjusted the camber... -2.0 in the front and -1.5 in the rears.   >m

I have to get back to the childrens' AYSO games on Saturday.

Jon

ViperX

"I will be going the Friday session for the first time. Just put on a brand new Michelins PS2s. adjusted the camber... -2.0 in the front and -1.5 in the rears.

I have to get back to the childrens' AYSO games on Saturday.

Jon"

Hey Jon,

I'm assuming you're planning to drive the Speed Ventures event at Fontana.  I'll be driving Saturday and Sunday. 

That's a bunch of negative camber for the street.  Don't forget to put it back closer to stock when you're through running or you will wear the inside of your new PS2's out very quickly.

Dan