American Muscle Car Shoot Out at Willow Springs with NASA Oct 11 & 12

Started by ViperX, July 16, 2008, 01:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just sent the following to NASA:

Hi Ryan,

I wanted to thank you on behalf of the So Cal Viper Club for your help arranging last Sunday's driving event.  This was a bunch of work for both of us, but I think we pulled it off.

I don't think you or your staff could have been any better to work with.  So .....

While at dinner on Sunday night after the track, Manny, Mike and I (along with a Mustang club guy) kicked around the idea of doing a special event with you guys, if possible.

The idea would be to promote, through NASA, an "American Muscle Car Track Shootout".

This would not be a race, per se, but a track day with Vipers, Corvettes, Cobras and Mustangs (or ?) running in their own group with say HPDE 3 or 4 rules.  Hopefully, this would bring some folks out to watch and drive in other HPDE groups.

We thought this might be fun as a promotion for you to drum up some business during slow times.

My primary request would be that this event be held during cooler months and limited to say 30 or so in this run group.  (This is really up to you – just don't want too many in this group).

Manny, myself, Mike Burgoyne, Ron Wasserman, Jonathan Martinez, likely Ben Kawata and some other experienced Viper Drivers would plan to attend.  You probably know some Corvette guys and Mustang guys that would love a shot a driving with us.

Let me know if there is any interest and I'll get this out to our group.

Proposed dates are October 11 & 12.

Regards,

Dan
So Cal Viper Club

I'd like to know if there is any interest.

Kadeuces

Im definitely interested, if novices will have a run group

ViperX

Hey Kobi,

Yes, novices can run in NASA's HPDE 1 and then watch us kick some Corvette / Mustang butt!

Dan

Kala

Hey Dan,

Dai wants to kick some stang/vette butt...  >k  >g  ^8 ^8 ^8

with her Lexus hybrid of course

oh never mind...

Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

ViperX

ViperX

Hey Gang,

There is an open track day at Buttonwillow on Friday Oct 9 before this event, so we can make this a three day weekend or you can just come up for one or two days as you'd like.

Price is $200 for the open track day - 9 to 5 or $110 for a 1/2 day, 1 to 5.

OE seat belts, helmet, long cotton pants and long sleeve shirt, closed toe shoes, etc. so everyone can drive.

Check with Buttonwillow for more info at:  www.buttonwillowraceway.com

Dan

ViperX

I'm signed up.  Cathy and I are going.  Anyone else?

Dan  <2

ViperX

Wow,

I ran test and tune on Friday with the racers and got to chase National Champion Manny Coats around the track (Viper guy driving a Honda).  He was remarkably fast in his race prepared Honda Civic.

Also spent some time chasing Jonathan Martinez in his race prepared GTS.  Couldn't quite keep up, yet .....

There were about 50 cars in my run group, so I got to make a bunch of passes.  Most cars were imports with a few Mustangs, Corvettes and Porsches.  It's a bit harder to pass at Buttonwillow compared to Willow Springs as the track is a bit tighter.  Never got a clean lap on Saturday or Sunday.  We ran clockwise on Saturday and counter-clockwise on Sunday.

Weather was very cool in the morning and pretty good during the day.

New splitter worked well.

Dan

PCH VIPER

Wow 50 cars in your group.....really makes you appreciate the limited sized groups at Viper Days

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. 
I'm betting it won't be long before you are being chased by Manny and Jonathon.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

I actually got by Manny during that session and he couldn't (or didn't choose to - hard to tell - he's an awfully good driver) get back by me in that last session.  I suspect he was just being nice.

After I led for a couple of laps, I was pretty fired up.  He closed on me in every tight section of the track and I opened up a bit of a lead in every straighter section.  Then I noticed that my gas gauge was bouncing around the E - empty line, so I came off track and went straight for the gas pump.

Most fun of the weekend.

Dan

PCH VIPER

I can only imagine how much faster you will be sitting in the 09 ACR !!!

ViperX

I hear that the new SRTC ACR is easier to drive fast than the old GTS ACR, so I'm looking forward to driving it.

Best time on Friday without traffic was 2:06 in the GTS.  We ran race #13 clockwise.  Track was cold and the wind blew dust on the track all day making for a few "depends" moments.  Nobody turned in any really fast times Friday.  FYI, Manny normally runs 2:01s and 2:02s in this configuration.

New splitter (made it on Wednesday) was a bit low and rubbed a few times on Sunday when going counter clockwise through Cotton Corners.

I'll make more adjustments this weekend.

D

PCH VIPER

Holy #$%@   2:06 is moving !!
Terri Rossi took me around the track  at a leisurely 2:24 and I was scared to death.

Banzai Ben

Wow! You are getting fast Dan! Awesome!

See you at K1 tonight and at the Pantera event.

Ben
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

Redsled

Quote from: PCH VIPER on October 13, 2008, 02:33:46 PM

I'm betting it won't be long before you are being chased by Manny and Jonathon.

Do I hear a wager?    <9