NASA at Willow Springs on May 24 and 25

Started by ViperX, April 15, 2008, 02:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

Hey Guys,

NASA will be running Willow Springs on May 24 and 25.

Check their website for details:   www.nasaproracing.com

I run in HPDE 3.  They also offer HPDE 1 (entry level), HPDE 2 (intermediate) and usually a race group.

Instruction is available.  They are a very well organized group.

Cathy and I will likely be there.

Dan

redtanrt10

Looks like the weather will be good, Saturday, sunny w/few clouds, high 70F, SW wind 15-25

See you guys @ breakfast around 6:30-7AM

Mike

ViperX

Hey Mike,

Rev and I will see you at breakfast.

This should be a very fun weekend to watch good local racing.  Two of the fastest racing GTS around will be there in the race group along with at least one Viper Comp Coupe.

Anyone interested should come out and watch.

Rev and I will be running both days.

See you at the track.

Dan   <2

redtanrt10

Da, I hope Sunday went well for you and Mike! Wish I could have stayed.  Ordered the '08 pan when I got back.  Keep me posted if there are any other events at Willow before viper days.  Thanks again to you and Cathy for all the hospitality!!

ViperX

Hi Mike,

Thanks.  Glad you came.

Yes, we got some more passing practice on Sunday.  I would estimate that we (Rev and I) made an average of 30 passes in each session, eight sessions over the weekend. 

They wouldn't let us move up to the highest HPDE level even though we were running faster than most of those guys.  Not sure why.  Guess they need to get to know us better.

Glad to hear you ordered that oil pan.  You are running faster now and will need it in turns 2 and 8.

I ordered a wing and splitter for my GTS and as soon as it's installed, I'll want to test the car.

I'll let you know when I get another track day set up.

Dan  <o

PCH VIPER

Hey Dan,
Sounds like you guys had a good weekend !
I bet it was hard to improve your lap times with so many cars to pass.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

Hey Lance,

Yes, didn't set any personal bests this weekend, but did get a bunch of practice passing.  They allowed us to pass everywhere on the track in this group, so a few ricers got to see our "red flashes" go by them pretty fast in the straights, in the turns, well everywhere.

I had some issues with my lap timer.  Some sessions it worked, others it didn't.  I think it gets fussy when it's cloudy like it was this last weekend - it's GPS based, so it requries constant contact with satellites.

Rev managed to run a personal best of 1:34 something.  He's getting better fast.

We both "played well with others" this weekend, no offs, didn't drop a tire or spin and of course didn't make any contact with other cars.  We need to continue to "be nice" so that we can gain the trust of NASA officials.

We're still the "red headed step children" of the group as there were only three of us in Vipers in all of the HPDE events, and all three of us were red.

The leader of our group remembered us from our last track session with NASA and warned all of those driving other cars in our group to pay attention when they saw that red flash coming because it would be on them very quickly and then gone again.

NASA is a lot of work, but likely the best non-Viper days group to run with if you want to learn to drive you car safely.  Instructors are pretty good and they don't allow any type of messing around or unsafe driving.

See you this weekend.

Dan  ^2

Banzai Ben

Hey Dan,
Which wing and splitter are you getting? I've been thinking about a front splitter for a while. I think I need to balance out my rear wing.
Thanks,
Ben
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

ViperX

Hey Ben,

I called Steve at Autoform and he's taking care of me.

Wing is the Lemans style adjustable.

He's making a custom splitter that bolts under the car so that I can remove it fairly easily.

I'll also add canards or winglets (you already have these) and a rear diffuser - two blade type.

Should be here in a couple of weeks.

Dan