Viper Future

Started by hemotox, August 07, 2007, 11:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemotox

Got some disturbing information and some possible mis-interpretation that may be worthy of some discussion.

"Home Depot deposed CEO is now head of Dodge.  He has fired Wolfgang (only Viper advocate).

He spends NO money on anything he sees as frivolous, does not like "cars" and has no performance interests.

I think we may have seen the demise of the Viper."

From a fellow Viper owner in Atlanta with fairly good insider info.  I hope this is not indicative of a course direction change for Dodge?

ViperX you have any info on this?   

^4

2008 SRT10 Coupe Snake Skin Green with Silver Stripes, only 17 produced in 2008

hemotox

Here is some more information

"It is really not very complex:   He headed up Home Depot (Atlanta company).  His cost contained approach made Stanley (tools) go offshore for manufacturing since Home Depot would not pay them for American made goods.

Wolfgang was the only current leader that was a Viper advocate along (to some extent) with Tom Lasorda. "Wolfie" (as he is known) is history.  His second in command is history.  Lasorda has been placed in a castrated role.

The Viper is not the way Home Depot does business.

Acura and Lexus have both developed light weight 550hp cars.  The future."

EXHLR8N

Quote from: hemotox on August 07, 2007, 11:38:42 AM
Here is some more information

"It is really not very complex:   He headed up Home Depot (Atlanta company).  His cost contained approach made Stanley (tools) go offshore for manufacturing since Home Depot would not pay them for American made goods.

Wolfgang was the only current leader that was a Viper advocate along (to some extent) with Tom Lasorda. "Wolfie" (as he is known) is history.  His second in command is history.  Lasorda has been placed in a castrated role.

The Viper is not the way Home Depot does business.

Acura and Lexus have both developed light weight 550hp cars.  The future."

Hey Eric,

I can see it now.  Outsource the Viper to China.  Yikes!!!!!
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

ViperX

No News yet .....

I don't think this guy's roll will be in the product area.  I read an article on this subject this morning.  This new guy's job seems to be focused on stopping the financial bleeding by cutting overhead, re-organizing the company, checking productivity, etc. 

I spent 10 years with GM (in a previous life) and while Chrysler may be different, it's probably not by much.  Some of the issues, IMHO, are as follows:

1 - The UAW is such a bad business partner I'm surpised that our auto business has lasted this long and done as well as it has.
2 - Costs for non-productive employees, including retiree's is huge and growing.  Can any of us small business owners imagine paying someone not to work???? 
3 - Nepotism is everywhere in these companies, political correctness and politics too. 
4 - Accountants tend to be running the show where engineers and marketing guys should be.
5 - The real bright, aggressive, productive people tend to stay a few years and then move on, especially in the product and marketing areas.

My advice, buy 'em while you can get 'em.

Dan 8)

hemotox

You know what I really like is all the unfounded rumors floating out there, but this one of all the ones I have heard seems to land a little too close to home.   ^4

Kala

I am also worried about the Viper's future... Have been for a while now...

My understanding was the first Vipers were to roll off the assy line in July. Then they are supposed to be built in the fall, instead of summer 07...
The 08 raffle car I  bought several tix for has not even been built  :-\

BUT...

Go look at the New Chrysler" Web site...

It mentions "Hemi" several times as well as "Muscle car" in their "about us" section...

I'm HOPING someone understands this "Brand"... and it doesnt turn into all mini vans  ^4

My first car was a MOPAR... I hope MOPAR will be there for the rest of mine!

From www.chryslerllc.com

GET READY FOR THE NEXT HUNDRED YEARS

When most car companies talk about a bright future, they're usually referring to next month's sales forecast. We'd like to take a somewhat longer-term approach and explain why the next 1200 months look so promising to us.

In short, it means that the New Chrysler is something of a rarity in today's automotive world: a company that's capable of quickly responding to the needs of customers instead of the demands of the stockholders. The fact is, we've always believed we were the most customer-focused car company on the planet. And now that's more true than ever.

A HISTORY OF FIRSTS. All automobile manufacturers build vehicles. But we create entirely new automotive categories. Chrysler invented the Muscle Car. The 1955 Chrysler C-300 model was America's first "Muscle Car." Chrysler also invented the SUV and minivan. Working with Orville Wright,(1) we pioneered wind tunnel development and ushered in the era of modern automotive aerodynamic design. When we developed the HEMI® engine in the 1950s, the technology proved so powerful that NASCAR banned it in 1965. We also were the first to put a modern radio in an automobile. And you know how you start your car? Chrysler invented the Key-Start Ignition System.

OK, HISTORY LESSON OVER. Our present is even more impressive than our past. The Chrysler 300 continues to prove why it's the most awarded new car ever.(2) The legendary Jeep® lineup now features the fuel-efficient(3) and affordable Compass and Patriot, the seven-passenger Commander, and the phenomenal four-door Wrangler Unlimited. Our 5.7L HEMI® V8 engines with MDS are once again giving drivers an unfair advantage. And the Dodge Ram pickup is unmistakable both on and off the road.

MORE LAURELS AND BENCHMARKS COMING SOON. The future is where things really get interesting. The New Chrysler is about to introduce 20 new industry-leading vehicles in the next 18 months-including the return of a legendary muscle car, the All-New Dodge Challenger. Our All-New Dodge and Chrysler minivans will amaze you with available industry-first innovations like Swivel 'n Go™(4) seating and live SIRIUS Backseat TV.™(5) And we're about to introduce an All-New 2008 Jeep Liberty that features a fully retractable 33"x60" Sky Slider Roof™.

AND NOW SOME QUALITY TIME. Over the past six years, we increased productivity by an industry-leading 25% and improved our quality by more than 40%. Ram trucks, for example, have earned the status of longest-lasting(6) and most durable(7) line of full-size pickups in America.

ENVIRONMENTAL CONSCIOUSNESS. Our concern for the environment has led to a number of firsts in green technology. Like being the first manufacturer to introduce the electric minivan, the first U.S. manufacturer to introduce CFC-free vehicles and the first car maker to sell one million Flex Fuel Vehicles(8). And for 2008, we expect to put another 500,000 Flex Fuel Vehicles on the road. We also offer the country's cleanest burning diesel with the available legendry 6.7L Cummins® featuring ultra-clean emissions technology, in a full-size pickup. Then there is the 5.7L HEMI V8 engine with MDS fuel-saving technology, and even a 5.7L HEMI V8 hybrid engine coming in 2009.

A WARRANTY THAT'S AS FUTURE-ORIENTED AS WE ARE. To prove our confidence in our products, we're now offering the industry's best coverage: the exclusive Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty* that outlasts every other warranty. Just one more reason to celebrate the New Chrysler with us.
*No deductible. See dealer for a copy of the limited warranty and details. Non-Transferable. Not available on SRT, Diesel vehicles, Sprinter, Ram Chassis Cab, and certain fleet vehicles. On purchases beginning 7/26/07.

* Dodge.com »
    * Chrysler.com »
    * Jeep.com »
    * Mopar.com »
    * ChryslerFinancial.com »

Privacy | International | Site Map | Contact Us
Learn More About Chrysler LLC
Dodge.com
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

Vypr Phil

Quote from: ViperX on August 07, 2007, 04:50:15 PM
No News yet .....

I don't think this guy's roll will be in the product area.  I read an article on this subject this morning.  This new guy's job seems to be focused on stopping the financial bleeding by cutting overhead, re-organizing the company, checking productivity, etc. 

I spent 10 years with GM (in a previous life) and while Chrysler may be different, it's probably not by much.  Some of the issues, IMHO, are as follows:

1 - The UAW is such a bad business partner I'm surpised that our auto business has lasted this long and done as well as it has.
2 - Costs for non-productive employees, including retiree's is huge and growing.  Can any of us small business owners imagine paying someone not to work???? 
3 - Nepotism is everywhere in these companies, political correctnes and politics too. 
4 - Accountants tend to be running the show where engineers and marketing guys should be.
5 - The real bright, aggressive, productive people tend to stay a few years and then move on, especially in the product and marketing areas.

My advice, buy 'em while you can get 'em.

Dan 8)

Dan is right on all counts.

My take:

Expect a milestone "take no prisoner" nasty fight with the UAW (actually a good thing)!

Good Bye job banks (where people get paid, handsomely, for doing nothing).

Business as usual will probably stop in short order at Chrysler.

The only thing that will pull Chrysler out of this mess is product, product product!!!

I have been skeptical for a while as to the long-term viability of the Viper product line, so as Dan says:

"My advice, buy 'em while you can get 'em".  Words of wisdom indeed.

I hope for the best but sadly also brace myself for the worst....

Phil

Vypr Phil    2005 SRT-10 Roadster - Sold

"If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up too much space"

hemotox

Kala,

Nothing in that press release about or even mentioning the Viper.  I think we can expect a dismal delivery of 08s if they even happen.  Wish there was some direct line of communication with Viper Central a Chrysler and give us some information about 08 production.  UAW sucks, and it is about time they wake up and realize that the Japanese and Foreign car companies are kicking their butts again and again.

Of note, I have seen nothgin about an 09 Viper  ^7 ^4

Kala

It was disappointing that there was no mention of the Vipers well, on their web site...
I was glad to see that muscle cars and Hemi were still in their vocabulary. Hopefully the Viper is still there too...

It may be the MOST important time to have an 08 on order... Without plenty of orders, the Viper program would likely be shut down.
I really thought when the "FirePower" was slated to be built at CAAP, along side the Viper,  it would make more financial sense for Dodge.

I doubt it will make sense to the NEW CHRYSLER to keep a plant (CAAP) open that only makes 1800 cars per year  :-[
That is why a car like the FP, thats built on the same platform, with some of the same parts, would make a lot of $ sense...

I would actually buy a FP if it was made...  ^1

It would be a great DD  ^5 AND possibly keep our favorite torque monster alive and kicking some Z06 butt  <2
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

hemotox

The MINI Cooper S looks better than the Firepower, have no idea why they even made that car.  Sort of a toned down Jr. Viper that you would image Rockford would be driving in a few years if his show was still on the air.

<7

Kala

Quote from: hemotox on August 08, 2007, 04:34:35 PM
Rockford would be driving in a few years

Um... who is Rockford, and why would we care what he drives   >1

I liked the FP... I didnt consider it a mini Viper... Mini Viper in my book was the Demon concept... Fugly... I don't like that one at all  <3

It seems to me in order for CAAP to stay open, another car will need to be built along side the Viper. From 97 - 02,  11k  Prowlers were made at CAAP. Even though they didnt share parts, I bet the bottom line on the factory looked better, with at least double the amt of cars coming off the line...

AlbertFattal

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE & BLOCKCHAIN
Science, Technology & Society
Computer Information Systems

https://AlbertFattal.com/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/albertfattal/

Vypr Phil

Excerpts from:

http://www.bigthreenews.com/industry/st-0607_muscle.htm

Click on the link for the full story.

In the past few years we have been living in a muscle-car heyday. We have more power, responsible and reliable power than ever in the history of the automobile. It's nothing to go out and find a 500+ hp Shelby Mustang, a 425hp Hemi Dodge or a 600hp Viper. They are a factory made, warranted and reliable choice right off the showroom. We have been more fortunate than we know.

In the coming years Detroit is going to be facing a new paradigm of making their cars 40% more efficient, mandated by law. They will be forced to spend more of their R&D in the areas of alternative fueled cars, small cars, hybrids, and even electrics. The money and time for muscle cars wont be there. Yes, this sounds like the same tripe we all heard in the 1970's and again the 1980's. But this time we have global pressures on oil supply that aren't going away. We have a solid if not diabolic sell job on the psyche of the world citizen that we are all killing off the earth with our selfish mechanized actions. While this may be folly at it's core, perception is reality and for the most part the sheep of the world are eating it up.

So, where does that leave us? Well to start with we suggest that if you want a factory built 500hp Shelby GT-500 or a big-block Hemi Chrysler, or even a 6.2 liter Camaro SS next year we suggest you buy it while you can. These cars are going to quietly disappear one day, just when we least expect it. Chrysler is already signaling that they may be dropping some if not all of their SRT-8 line of vehicles after the 2008 model year. No more 425hp 6.1 liter Hemi Chargers? The reason, slow sales and of course their need to keep their CAFÉ up.

The point is that the coming regulations aren't likely to kill the high performance muscle car. They are likely however to kill the factory high performance muscle car. Sad as that might seem on the surface, the changes ahead might mean big time business for our stable of aforementioned tuners who have frankly been hit with a shovel in the past few years since the factory has gotten into the game.

We can only hope that someone is able to fill the void when Detroit no longer has the moral and fiscal fortitude to crank out mega-liter 500+ horsepower machines from their plants. In the meantime, go get them while you can and take good care of them because history is about to repeat itself.

Not my idea of good news for the ViperNation.....

Phil ???
Vypr Phil    2005 SRT-10 Roadster - Sold

"If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up too much space"

Kala

NK BREKR

Great article Phil, thanks for sharing.

History repeats itself...the horsepower war being brought to an end due to oil.