Oil Pan Baffle kit installation

Started by PCH VIPER, July 08, 2007, 10:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCH VIPER

I decided to do the oil pan baffle upgrade in preparation for more track events.

The oil pan baffle prevents engine oil starvation by keeping the oil in the center of the pan where the oil pickup is.

Without the swinging baffle gates installed in the pan, the oil is free to flow from cavity to cavity and under some track conditions, the oil could be forced away from the oil pickup and cause severe engine failure.

This was a very easy engine upgrade which only took about 90 minutes to do.

Shown below is all that is needed:   10 quarts oil, Oil filter, Baffle kit.  I bought the Oil Pan Baffle kit from Dave C.  www.davesbigbrakes.com

I put the car up on my lift, but this can also be done with the car on jack stands.

I drained the oil from the pan and removed / replaced the oil filter.

Once the oil was all out, I removed the 11 mm bolts which hold the pan on (30 of them)

The pan came right off.  Be very careful not to damage the re-useable gasket.

There are 8 phillips screws holding in the sheet metal tray which need to be removed. 

Once the tray is out, you can see the 3 sections of the pan, and the oil pickup screen.

The replacement tray is shown above, with the OEM tray below.

The swinging baffle gates allow the oil to flow, but helps to keep oil in the center section since the gates only swing inward.

It is very important to make sure that the gates swing freely.  The front gate was hitting the oil screen screws.

I filed the bottom corners of the gate back to clear the screws.

Once I was sure that the gate swung freely, I put the new tray in and screwed it down. Make sure that you put the tray in the right way.  Notice the small hole in the bottom right where the Dip Stick goes through.

I put a drop of Blue Loctite on each of the screws.

The oil pan is now ready to install.

I put a small amount of Permatex RTV silicon on the 4 corner seams to prevent any oil leaks.

Shown above is a close up of the seam that needs to be sealed.

I cleaned the gasket and installed the pan.

www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Kala

Lance,
I think you should add this to my car, so you can post some pix of a Gen III  ^8 

Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

racecars

Hey Kala,

Very sorry >1 but this kit won't work on Gen3's :'(  You need the swing arm oil pan kit from Mopar(used on the comp cpe's)

Are you ready for the price ^7 $2200-2500 US dollars Plus labor

Oh Great One  ^9 ^9 ^9

racecars

>2

Hey Lance,

Another great writeup

^8(notice the Orange Hint  >2)

You make my stuff look really good >2

Big Brake Dave <2

Kala

Quote from: racecars on July 08, 2007, 12:07:36 PM
Hey Kala,

Very sorry >1 but this kit won't work on Gen3's :'( 

Then I think you need to get cracking Dave... Think of all the Gen III owners that will be banging on your door, wanting a kit  <7
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

AlbertFattal

Quote from: Kala on July 08, 2007, 12:38:17 PM
Quote from: racecars on July 08, 2007, 12:07:36 PM
Hey Kala,

Very sorry >1 but this kit won't work on Gen3's :'( 

Then I think you need to get cracking Dave... Think of all the Gen III owners that will be banging on your door, wanting a kit  <7

ROFL! ^8

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE & BLOCKCHAIN
Science, Technology & Society
Computer Information Systems

https://AlbertFattal.com/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/albertfattal/

AlbertFattal

I Love reading tutorials, thanks for documenting and then sharing Lance! >3 >2

AlbertFattal

Oh Yeah... THE PICTURES COULDN'T BE ANY CLEARER! <9

PCH VIPER

Thanks Albert !
It's nice to have the site working again.  I was able to upload all my pictures as before with no issues.  <1

Have you tried uploading pictures to the National site?  I wish our site was like that.... I can go to my website, copy / paste text and pictures from my site directly into a post on the VCA forum.  Very fast and easy.

Hey Kala,
Did you get titanium upgrade yet?   If so, we wish you a speedy recovery.  Hopefully your "special" cane will aid in your rehab.

OGO,
If you want or need any of the pictures, just let me know.

See you guys at DC Perf.

Lance

racecars

Hey Lance,

Don't need any,  >1 I've already saved to my external & printed a full copy >2 You do great work ^1

I also sent a message to the VCA guy to put in the Illustrated upgrades ^5

Next you need to do my RollBar >2 Just happen to have one <1 (Is Lori watching ^8)

Oh Great One  ^9 ^9 ^9

Kala

Quote from: PCH VIPER on July 08, 2007, 05:42:47 PM
Hey Kala,
Did you get titanium upgrade yet?   If so, we wish you a speedy recovery.  Hopefully your "special" cane will aid in your rehab.

Hey Lance... I'm getting a second opinion on the titanium upgrade, tomorrow at USC... They may have something for me that doesn't require 2-3 months of down time  ^1

My cane is beautiful, thank you...

PCH VIPER

" 2 - 3 months down time "    YIKES!!!

I'd also give Hemotox a call.....He may be able to provide you with some advice / alternatives as well.

Good Luck.

Banzai Ben

Lance,

Very impressive! You sure are a good "do it yourselfer". I had DC Performance install one on my car last year. I wonder if it's the same one?

See you Sat. at DC.

Ben
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

racecars

I'll never tell >2 <1

Oh Great One  ^9 ^9 ^9

PCH VIPER

Hey Ben,
Is your Camaro running?   If so, maybe you should put it on the dyno on sat to see how it stacks up.

Great...I can see it now....
Dave's new motto is going to be:   "Buy my upgrades  <1 ...SOOOO EASY to do, even LANCE can do it!!"   <9

See ya Sat.

Lance