(OLD)2nd Saturday of the Month Viper Owners Get Together - Malibu

Started by admin, February 05, 2007, 05:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

Kala,

If this engine failure turns out to be a failed rod due to oiling issues, I'm guessing Thom's car may have been tracked in an earlier life.

SRT oiling systems aren't perfect but they work fine on the street.  If you track your car and run it hard with sticky tires, you can have oiling issues and related failures.

Viper Specialties has adapted the new 2008 oil pan and pick up for the 03 through 06 Vipers.  You can find Daniel on the VCA Forum.  This should solve our oiling issues.

Dan

Kala

I talked to Daniel about the oil pan he makes... He sells 2 different kits.

1.) swing oil 08 oil pan

2.) high performance oil system - includes a lot of other parts, I think high flow water pump and larger alternator were in the package.

I had planned to wait and see if just the pan was enough, or was the extra $1,000 for the HP set a better insurance choice.

At Dyno day, I think we all wondered what had been done to Thom's car, since he smoked us all with higher HP and TQ.

I know about the computer learning your driving style... We used to disconnect the batteries on our Prowlers, let them sit 10 minutes, then hook em up, turn A/C on high and drive em like you stole it... The car always ran a lot better afterwards... I doubt doing that same thing would make a lot more HP on a Viper though... It used to change the shift points on the Prowlers.

What do you think?

Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

ViperX

Hi Kala,

I don't know how you intend to use your car, but I'd guess that the 08 pick up and oil pan would be plenty.  If you plan to race the car in T1 or a similar SCCA series with slicks, firmer suspension, etc. and hire a professional driver to drive the car, you should go for the whole package.  If you plan to drive it mostly on the street with occaisional track use, like Viper Days, TCRA or the Pantera Club events, you should be fine with the 08 oil pan and pick up.

I have comp coupe pick ups and oil pans in both of my SRTs and have found them to be quite adequate for the tracking that I do with them.  The 08 pick up and pan should work better than the cc pick up and pan and it's about 1/2 the price.  This was not available when I bought the cc set up for my cars.  If I could switch now to the 08 for free, I would.

I hope this helps.

Dan

PS  Take a look at the new thread that I just posted in Track Events.

Radical Guy

Quote from: Texas_Venom on September 03, 2007, 08:24:26 PM
Well it looks like someone will have to drive pam for me this month. I think I threw a rod in the engine today driving up the 101. ^4 My Viper is sitting at Santa Barbara Dodge waiting to get checked out. I am guessing I wont have her back for a month or so. I will keep you all posted. Good news is I hear I might get a rebuilt engine from Arrow. I hear they are coming back stronger than from the factory.   ^5      I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey Thom.  Sorry to hear that.  That's horrible.  I hope you get it back soon and the damage isn't bad. 

In regards to oil pan issues, I have not had any problems with pressure in my car running at Willow Springs and Spring Mountain with street tires.  It always fluctuated between 50-75 psi..  I have not ran it with slicks or race compound tires, which is when you may see a difference since you're pulling higher g's, as Dan noted.
2004 SRT-10

EXHLR8N

Hey Guys,

I have to echo Dan.  I put the comp oil pan set up on my 2003 about 1.5 years ago.  Going through the right hander 7 & 8 at Willow, the oil pressure never drops below just under 80.

When I first went to Willow, if I took that corner particularly hard and fast, the pressure would drop down to 70'ish, but never 50 (or at least that I saw).

I would recommend spending the money to have the oil pan changed out.  Dan Cragen does a great job.
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Kala

Quote from: EXHLR8N on September 06, 2007, 05:59:40 PM

I would recommend spending the money to have the oil pan changed out.

So at this point you would put on the 08 pan, by itself? Not the whole kit?
https://www.viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96&osCsid=69bcf6ff51ff5da639f2febffcffe0ac

I'm just wondering if the other high performance parts in the kit Daniel sells provides better oil coverage & cooling, to protect the motor. Is the question would you rather spend 2k more now, do it right or ?k later on a new engine or Arrow rebuild?

I'm not sure yet, what my future is off road. Only time will tell, if my foot will tolerate a lot of track driving....

One thing is for sure. One of the best days I've ever had in a Viper, or any car for that matter, was on the roval in Vegas  <2

Thinking back to that day always makes me smile

Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

ViperX

Kala,

Yes, I'd go with the oil pan and pick up.  The balance of these parts, while good additions, really should not be necessary for normal "light track" use. 

Daniel's kit

Included:
-All neccessary machining
-Front Timing Cover & Oil Pump
-Oil Pickup
-Oil Pan

-Water Pump
-Larger 2008 Alternator
-ATI Super Damper
-Belt
-Crank Seal
-Bolts/Nuts
-Seals
-Cam Position Sensor

Dan

Radical Guy

Is anyone coming down to Coogies and then a drive tomorrow?  I'll be there at 8:30.  See you then.  ^5

Brent
2004 SRT-10

Kala

Wish I could Brent...

I drove the H2 today...  >7 Maybe next month...

Radical Guy

Well, I guess if nobody's going, I'm not going to go by myself.  So, I'll see ya next month. :-\

Brent
2004 SRT-10

PCH VIPER

Hey Brent,
Sorry, but I probably won't make it out either.
Take care and see you soon.

Hey Kala,
I assume your surgeory went well and I hope your recovery is speedy!
Let me know if there is anything I can do for you....like drive your SRT10 to keep the battery charged  ;D
Take care and see you soon
Lance
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Kala

Quote from: PCH VIPER on September 07, 2007, 11:14:45 PM

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you....like drive your SRT10 to keep the battery charged  ;D

Hey Lance
Yup Surgery went well... Doc thinks I'll be good to go!
I gave my Doc a message from a SO CA VCA member. After that mewssage he did a great job, Doc said he couldn't let "The King" down.

Sure come on up and drive my SRT Lance <2
Be sure to BYOM.... (Bring your own Meguire's) The wheels are a little dirty <3

OriginalRoot

Hey! what's Up, Who's in for Saturday Morning ?... .. .Just got back from Utah, I got to wear my Tight pants and
Festive Checkered Jacket <9, Now It's VIPER Time <2     joel.

PCH VIPER

>2
Hey Joel,   I'll meet you for breakfast and make the run with you.   

OCT. 13!!!!   <2

See you then. 
Lance
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

OriginalRoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeBd_F2Bz5Y&mode=related&search=

Watch the Above Link... Then.. .The Ferrari Vs Viper Video (Second one Down on the Video list,)

What Goof Balls!," Hey" Let's get your viper and I'll bring my P.O.S. Ferrari, We can make a cool Video... .. .
    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! Latigo Canyon.

Saturday Morning 08:30... .. . ^5   Who Else?  joel.  What's up Doc!