Historical Viper Web Sites and Viper ZC rumor information

Started by hemotox, April 12, 2006, 06:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemotox

Here are a couple of Viper Web Sites and information about the new Viper ZC coming in 2008.  Apparently there will be no 2007 viper?  Redesign and updating is planned for 2008.  Production is rumored to begin January 2007.

EJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper
http://www.roadandtrack.com/idealbb/pview.asp?topicID=12777&pageNo=1&num=20

2008 SRT10 Coupe Snake Skin Green with Silver Stripes, only 17 produced in 2008

racecars

Mr. Fangs

Hemotox.

Lots of rumors flying around, and lots of hopeful people.

The model year 07 probably will be skipped, but that does not necessarily mean there will be no Vipers produced in 07. At the end of 06 I believe production will end for that model year. Some changes on the line will be made for more efficient, higher volume production, with enhanced quality. Might see another car built alongside our beloved Vipers. (Think Firepower!). Using same chassis, but with a high output V8 and different demographics. (Think Aston Martin).

Early 07 might see a refreshed Viper with a "front and rear 10" upgrade. Maybe even a slightly larger engine for to meet new emissions and a hp boost. Might try to take out a few pounds at the same time.

Do not expect an entirely different driving experience, but more like Porshe with incremental improvements.
Paul & Teresa 09 Coupe

hemotox

Thanks Mr. F, when are you going to VOI9?  Saturday or Sunday?  Probably Saturday, right? National stuff and all that VIP action?  We are getting a caravan for Sunday AM if you can make it?

EJ

Mr. Fangs

Would love to run out to Vegas with you, but have a Board of Directors Leadership meeting and a Presidents meeting on Sat, as well as a Dinner with the Nevada Club Sat. night. We also plan an early cruise through the desert Sunday morning to get ready for the official opening of the VOI.

Think this will be a fantastic event.

The SRT group is known to bring everyone up to date on the latest official and unofficial scoop at these things.  ::)

I spoke to some engineers in Phoenix and they shared some hopes they had, but even they could not be sure what plans would be OK'd and which would not make the cut. Came away very positive with the direction of Viper.
Paul & Teresa 09 Coupe

MoparMan

Quote from: hemotox on April 12, 2006, 06:40:24 AM
Here are a couple of Viper Web Sites and information about the new Viper ZC coming in 2008.  Apparently there will be no 2007 viper?  Redesign and updating is planned for 2008.  Production is rumored to begin January 2007.

EJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper
http://www.roadandtrack.com/idealbb/pview.asp?topicID=12777&pageNo=1&num=20

hemotox - we ran some of this info in our Fall newsletter and SRT and DCX got pretty angry with us (the level of reaction from them told me that the info is accurate). In fact, the paragraph I wrote for the newsletter ended up all over the web since it was also in our now defunct rumors section of our website. Anyway, here's what seems to be:
- production of the current Viper will end 8/31/06
- Conner Ave will be closed for retooling until 1/2/07
- it is suspected that CAAP will be producing both the Firepower and the Viper.
- Viper model year '07 will be skipped
- the MY '08 Viper will still be based on the ZB platform but will be powered by an 8.4L MPI engine. Word has it that this engine has been making over 700HP in testing, but it will be debuted at 650HP in the '08 Viper.
- the MY '08 Viper will have some styling refresh, especially in the front clip. I've been told the new nose of the car is alot more agressive than the current front end.
- the complete redesign will come with the intro of the ZC platform which is still a couple of years off. Apparently, there is talk of platform sharing with the MB SLR at that point

hemotox

MM

Very cool inside info,  thanks.  Interesting to see how the strategies work themselves out between producers.  Corvette, Ford GT, Viper, as to new innovations, HP, style to capture the market edge.  I think Viper has had some stiff competition, especially from Corvette.  Ford GT is such a limited production car and double the price of a viper or corvette, that it probably doesn't come into the equation.  I guess individuals can get mad if they want, generally the truth is hard to keep covered, I am sure more info will be coming out.

Very interesting info above, thanks

EJ

MoparMan

Here's a purported photo of a freshened up '08 Viper testing on the road:

hemotox

MoparMan

Due to the low quality of the photo (looks like it was shot in a mirror using a cell phone camera) I'm not 100% convinced that this is actually the '08 Viper in testing. There's nothing to say that it's not a Viper with a body kit or even another car done up to look like a Viper. I can tell you that the nose on the Viper is supposed to be refreshed for '08 and this photo could certainly depict such a mule. I've spotted gen III Viper test cars on the way to Phoenix from Las Vegas within the last year (probably drivetrain mules) so it's not beyond the realm of possibilities that this car is the real deal. I guess we'll know for sure in September.