1996 GTS automatic belt tensioner pulley failure

Started by kenalker, September 16, 2013, 01:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenalker

Has anyone heard of the automatic belt tensioner pulley failing on the Vipers?  Mine is a 1996 GTS.  Just after crossing the finish line of an autocross yesterday I heard my belt squealing.  A fellow autocrosser brought a plastic ring to me that he said fell off my car after I crossed the finish line.  It turns out it was the "front face" of the tensioner pulley!  Upon investigation, it turns out that the outer portion of the pulley broke away from the inner bearing section and the bearing housing appears to have broken apart.  Additionally, the front face of the pulley sheered completely off!  It almost looks as if parts of the pulley melted, but it is hard to tell.

The only modification I've done in this area is replacement of the power steering pump pulley with the aluminum one made by Ipsco.  I followed all directions and even changed the position of the power steering pump shaft to ensure the pulley was in line with the other pulleys (per Mark's instructions).  My car delivers about 10% more horsepower than factory due to air box and exhaust modifications.

Perhaps this is a common failure similar to the plastic power steering pump pulley failure?  Maybe the bearings just froze up and the belt spun the pulley hard enough to break it away from the bearing hub?  Perhaps something else entirely is wrong and got the pulley so hot it failed?  Is there any history on this subject someone could impart on me, or point me toward?

Thank you in advance.
Ken

Baxters

Mine failed on Highway 74 recently - a 1999. This sidelined the car and required a tow over the mountain to my home. Fortunately it was a $13 part at Autozone. I had a spare belt so it just took my labor to repair.

Car had 56000 miles, so the replacement should last quite a while.

Greg

PCH VIPER

Hey Ken,
I suppose I could search our website or the VCA website past history and find posts from Big Brake Dave on this.

I seem to remember a billet pulley set he had made up thru IPSCO.

I found this:
http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/Viper%20billet%20Pulleys.htm
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

viperCFP

Doh... I'm planning on taking CA-33 north to CA-166 on the way to San Luis Obispo for a buddy's bachelor party (hey, not my #1 pick) in a couple weeks.  Never taken CA-33 before, how is cellphone coverage?

Curious, how many miles did you have on the car, Ken?
Michael
Instagram: @viperCFP
'96 GTS (2nd caretaker)

Kala

Krafters, I live on Maricopa HWY in Ojai... cell coverage is spotty at best once you go past La Luna. You can get a signal at Bodee's restaurant. (now closed) After that there's only one place I know where you can get cell coverage about 1/2 way to the 166.

It's a large turn-out on the right hand side of the road with a big mound on it... The locals up there call it the Phone Booth  ;D

It's harder to see coming from the South. If you get stuck up there, ask how far you are from the Phone Booth... You'll also know it by seeing vehicles parked there... Generally someone walking around talking on their phone... LOL

Before you get to the 166, there is a Ranger station... Ozema I think... They have phones.

Pick a starting point like La Luna rd or even the stop sign at 5 points and clear your trip odometer. That way if you do have problems you can give AAA a location where you are.
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

Kala

Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

kenalker

Quote from: krafters on September 16, 2013, 10:40:43 PM
Curious, how many miles did you have on the car, Ken?

33807 (many of the latter half are "hard" miles, IYKWIM).

kenalker

As an aside, I found that many of the auto parts store's on-line cross-references for the 1996 Viper GTS (with air conditioning) accessory drive belt came up with the WRONG belt.  Mine was replaced several years ago at the dealership with a Mopar 4763795AC.  The dealership now calls for an 04763795AD.  Mine had "7PK2059" inked on it which indicates that it has 7 ribs and an effective length of 2059mm (about 81").  Note that effective length is NOT as simple as measuring the circumference (although, can be close).

The Goodyear Gatorback 4070810 has an effective length of 2055mm and is extremely close in length to the Mopar belt that was on my car.  Additionally, it has the "randomized cog" pattern on the inside similar to my Mopar belt (which had cogs as well, although not randomized).  I was told by Goodyear that this is a patented pattern, leading to the assumption that the Mopar belt was sourced from Goodyear.  Also, my Mopar belt indicates that it was made in Canada which is where a Goodyear rep told me they were making OE (original equipment) belts at the time.

I purchased the new Goodyear belt from Jox Auto in Washington state (eBay) for $24.99 (free shipping, no tax).  The dealership wanted $77.35 plus tax for a new Mopar belt and I would have had to drive an hour to get there since our local dealership when bankrupt.