Re: WILLOW SPRINGS with SPT, Jan 5th

Started by Viper Blondie, December 05, 2012, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fangs

29 lbs always seemed to be the magic number. Most start at 29 lbs and then check them after some laps to see what temps they get up to out on the track. PS2's are pretty good track tires.

However, this should be a relatively cool day, so a couple extra pounds probably would not hurt.

On this same note, when you first go out on the track, be sure to get your tires a bit warm (first lap is for this) before getting heavy on the throttle. Warm tires stick a whole lot better than cold tires. If you are over driving your tires they can also get so hot that they begin to feel greasy. If this happens you must drive smoother or slow down a bit in the corners.

Sometimes people get used to how well their cars handle in the first session, and forget that they need to warm them up again the next time out.

This is going to be a fun day.
Paul & Teresa 09 Coupe

Jay M

Quote from: Mr. Fangs on January 02, 2013, 04:57:36 PM
29 lbs always seemed to be the magic number. Most start at 29 lbs and then check them after some laps to see what temps they get up to out on the track. PS2's are pretty good track tires.

However, this should be a relatively cool day, so a couple extra pounds probably would not hurt.

On this same note, when you first go out on the track, be sure to get your tires a bit warm (first lap is for this) before getting heavy on the throttle. Warm tires stick a whole lot better than cold tires. If you are over driving your tires they can also get so hot that they begin to feel greasy. If this happens you must drive smoother or slow down a bit in the corners.

Sometimes people get used to how well their cars handle in the first session, and forget that they need to warm them up again the next time out.

This is going to be a fun day.

From my last track day, the rubber looked like it was melting off.  Sounds like I need to be a bit more smooth.

thanks,
~Jay
2004 Convertible, Red, custom tan interior

MoparMan

Quote from: NK BREKR on January 02, 2013, 01:04:31 PM
Lance,
I'll meet you at Denny's at 5:18.

Damn, you guys are early birds. We'll be there some time after nine...save us a spot in the Gen V ride-along line!

Jay M

Speaking of early, Chick-fil-A won't even be open yet!  Will the cafe at the track be open in the morning?  Or is it closed for special events like this?

thanks,
~Jay
2004 Convertible, Red, custom tan interior

NK BREKR

Hey Matt,
I'll save a spot for Kiki, but you're in your own  >w

Jay,
Don't worry about Chick-fil-A, I can get something for you at Denny's  <11

SSSSE YA

Can we invite friends or co workers to come out and watch? If yes is there a entrance fee?

PCH VIPER

Anyone is Welcome to come out and watch.
I think the fee to get in is $10.00/person at the gate which goes directly to the track.

If they are staying for the dinner, then you need to let Dan Cragin know and pay him.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

CurtDose

Happy New Year. What a great event. xxx I'll be driving up from San Diego with two grandsons Jack (10) and Bobby (7) and maybe my son-in-law Jim (so unfortunately not in my Viper). Jim and I have raced my Viper at Willow Springs. xxx Oops - gkids have basketball games so I'll be solo.  This will be my almost-VOI 12.  I will attend the barbecue.

Curt

redtanrt10

Quote from: Jay M on January 02, 2013, 05:58:02 PM
From my last track day, the rubber looked like it was melting off.  Sounds like I need to be a bit more smooth.

thanks,
~Jay

Jay, it's gonna be much colder Saturday, your tires will be fine. Won't hit 50 till 10-11 am, then top out at maybe 60-65.   Start at 29 all around then check pressure as soon as you park after your session. (and write them down).  You'll want them to get to about 36 psi hot.   Left sides get hotter due to turns 2, and 8-9.  By the afternoon sessions you may end up starting at 27 on the left side as the air and track temp will rise.  If I can help you with anything let me know.  Mike

redtanrt10

Quote from: Banzai Ben on January 02, 2013, 03:00:36 PM
Yes, Saturday, bright and early! But maybe not as early as Lance and them, they are real early birds.
I plan on getting there around 7:00

Ben, I'm planning on 7 am arrival too.  Leaving Monrovia on the 215 about 5:30 am, maybe I'll see you on the road?  BTW my van will kick your trucks ass, don't try to race me!

Lance, thanks for scouting out the 14.  Don't have a radio but keep an eye on your cell.  
Glad to hear Brian can install the facia screen, my tow hook comes off in 1 minute, if I remember to bring the corect allen wrench.

It's going to be a nice day and a great event, see everyone guys there!

Mike

Steph

Quote from: redtanrt10 on January 03, 2013, 02:03:55 PM

Ben, I'm planning on 7 am arrival too.  Leaving Monrovia on the 215 about 5:30 am, maybe I'll see you on the road?  BTW my van will kick you trucks ass, don't try to race me!

Mike
Mike... you forgot I tow with a Hot Rod Lincoln..... >v
Steph

1HOTV10 - 2014 Stryker Green GTS
2010 VoooDoo ACR # 1 of 31 - SOLD
2008 Venom Red w/Black Stripes SRT10 Coupe - SOLD
2004 Silver SRT10 Vert - SOLD

redtanrt10

Hey Steph, haven't seen your Lincoln but I've just got a lowly ford.  Look forward to seeing you and glenn!

hemotox

Can you guys put me down?  I'll come out for a few hours and take pictures..........  >u

Will need PCHVIPER approval on any prints.  May even drive the SSG out there.   >g

Where is Willow Springs?   >w

ANyone coming up the 405 into the San Fernando Valley?

2008 SRT10 Coupe Snake Skin Green with Silver Stripes, only 17 produced in 2008

hemotox

So Dan use to be about 4 miles away in West LA, now he is in Alhambra......?  I don't even know where Alhambra is......!

=16

2008 SRT10 Coupe Snake Skin Green with Silver Stripes, only 17 produced in 2008

OriginalRoot

O> Not to Worry Doc ! I'll see You at Roxford