Re: WILLOW SPRINGS with SPT, Jan 5th

Started by Viper Blondie, December 05, 2012, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1HOTACR

Quote from: Specialty Performance Team on December 07, 2012, 10:00:05 AM
Hi All,
No worries I will be submitting an updated list to the Viper Club, if you are not on the current list you will most likely be on the new one. Everyone is welcome but there are only a few track spots remaining.

Any questions or concerns feel free to call me: 310-597-6295 Dan Cragin/ Specialty Performance Team

Thanks Dan    <1
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

ViperX

Guys,

Here are a couple of options for those of us that would like to drive 2 days:

1 - We rent the track ourselves on Sunday, which would be pricey with only 15 drivers.  We'll contact WS and check it out but my guess is cost would be at least $300 per day with only 15 drivers - we need more drivers to get the price per car down.

2 - We can run "Test and Tune" with the track on Sunday as they have already agreed to this.  This can be fun, however, cars will need to be "track prepped" to run Test and Tune, i.e. 6 point harness, fire bottle, roll bar, driving suit, driving shoes and a Snell SA 2000 helmet would likely be the minimum AND we will be sharing the track with other cars.  I've done this a bunch and it's fun for me but it might not be fun for all, especially our novices.

3 - We can run "Test and Tune" on Friday.  Requirements would be the same as above, the track would likely have less traffic and the cost is fixed at $150 per day plus whatever the one time registration fee is for the year.  We'll check with the track and post the info.

Please post your thoughts on this so we can work something out for our group.

Dan  <2

Redsled

Either way works for me Dan.  Friday Test N' Tune is a nice deal as well.  

PCH VIPER

I'm thinking that the Sunday Test and Tune would work better with Ralph's plans but we should definitely check with him to see for sure.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

redtanrt10

Dan, test and tune works for me either day.

Better would be exclusive track for us Sunday, but I don't want to pay $300.  Can you check to see what the cost would be with 20-30 cars?  This could be a great opportunity to bring out newer drivers to run the track.  Maybe Bob Blizzard could come and offer some classroom instruction.  I'd be available to help drive along with some of the folks and I know we have others capable too.  Maybe run 3 groups, novice , intermediate and advanced.
Dan Cragin to tech the cars and hold a tech session?

Mike

Mr. Fangs

Thanks Dan. >s

See everybody there.

Been too long.

Paul
Paul & Teresa 09 Coupe

snake

Add Jim Kenehan to the watch list.   2004 SRT

Specialty Performance Team

Hi All,
Looks like we are going to have a great turn out for the event. I am looking forward to seeing all of you!
I will be posting all the final details this week and contacting each of you personally, but first I would like to confirm everyone on the list. If you are not listed or the info is not correct, e-mail me at [email protected].

We are having a BBQ right after the event and I need to get a final head count before committing. So let me know if you plan to come!

Eddie Arguelles      2009SRTC         Saturday      Track
Atwood, Carl            Instruct   Saturday      Attend
Randy Begin      1995 RT/10         Saturday      Track
Magnus Beseth      2003 SRT         Saturday      Track
Bob Blizzard            Instruct   Saturday      Track
Brobst, John      2008 Challenger      Saturday      Track
Deb Blizzard                           Attend
Mike Buckingham      2008 SRTC   Instruct   Saturday/ SundayTrack
Rob  Bucoltz           1997 GTS              Saturday      Track
John Campos      1994 RT/10              Saturday      Attend
Matt Chapman      2012 Lexus IS-F      Saturday      Track
Raj Champaneri      2008 SRTC         Saturday      Track
John Cheseny      2003 SRT10         Saturday      Track
Angel Calderon      2006 SRTC         Saturday      Track
Bruce Conklin      2003 SRT10         Saturday      Track
Steve Dana         2006 Comp Coupe   Saturday/Sunday   Track
George Dauphine      2006 SRTC         Saturday      Track
Richard Duncan      1963 Can Am Racer   Saturday/Sunday   Track
Dan Everts         2010 ACR      Instruct   Saturday/Sunday   Track
Mike Fugita         2006 SRT         Saturday      Track
Justin Fujita         2000GTS         Saturday      Track
Larry Goldman      2000 RT/10         Saturday      Track
Garry Grant      2010 ACR         Saturday/Sunday   Track
Mike Greenberg      1997 Viper GTSR      Saturday      Track
Hugh Hoard         2008 SRTC         Saturday      Attend
Roger Hamson      2000 GTS         Saturday      Track
Peter Hausher      2001 GTS AC      Saturday/ SundayTrack
Paul Hawker      2008 ACR         Saturday      Track
Scott Hirko         2004 SRT10         Saturday      Track
Rick Hollis         2000RT10         Saturday/Sunday   Track
Glen Izard         2010ACR              Saturday      Track
Jerry Jacobson      2010 McLaren      Saturday      Track
Ben Kawata         1999 GTS Racer InstructSaturday      Track
Jim Kenehan      2004 SRT                  Track
Brent Kern         2004 SRT         Saturday      Track
Lance Kouchi      2008 ACR         Saturday      Track
Lyle Larson         1999 Corvette      Saturday      Attend
Joel Larson         1997 GTS         Saturday/Sunday   Track
Maurice Liang      1993 RT/10         Saturday      Attend
Larry Nemetz      2012 McLaren      Saturday      Attend
Leo McCafrey                  Saturday      Track
Linstun Lee         2010 ACR         Saturday      Attend
Nigel Olsen         2008300C         Saturday/Sunday   Track
Auto Peterson      2008 Mustang      Saturday      Attend
Pete Martin         2008 ACR         Saturday      Track
Jonathon Martinez   1997 GTS         Saturday/ SundayTrack
Anthony Matranga               Saturday
Eric Messley      1997 GTS         Saturday/Sunday   Attend
Ron Miller         2000 ACR         Saturday       Track
Ray McIntyre      2003 SRT              Saturday      Track
Jay Morisette      2004 SRT              Saturday      Track
Randy Noble      1994 RT/10              Saturday      Attend
John Payne         2005 SRT Ram      Saturday/Sunday   Attend
Anhtuam Pham      2006 SRTC         Saturday      Track
Scott Pennington      2008 SRTC         Saturday/Sunday   Track
Chris Pennington      2008 SRTC         Saturday/Sunday   Track
Otto Peterson      2009 Mustang      Saturday
Reinsma Eddie      2006 SRTC         Saturday
Mark Rhoads      1996 RT10         Saturday      Track
Grant Roberts      2003 SRT         Saturday      Attend
Richard Rosenberg   2003 SRT         Saturday      Track
Lance Sandman      2010 Challenger      Saturday      Track
Greg Schilley      2008ACRX         Saturday/Sunday   Track
Bob Spencer      2003 SRT10         Saturday      Attend
Gerard St. Germain   1996 RT/10         Saturday      Track
Richard Shehadey   2008 ACR         Saturday      Track
Derek Short      2006 SRTC         Saturday      Track
Mike Sinkenson      2005 SRT         Saturday      Track
Don Smith         2000 RT/10         Saturday      Track
Adrien Szostak      2006 SRTC         Saturday      Track
John Tookey      1997 GTS         Saturday      Attend
Randy Tribulet      1993 RT/10         Saturday      Track
William Toppi      1999 RT10         Saturday      Attend
Bernard Thouanel      1997 GTS         Saturday      Track
Donn V         2009 SRTC         Saturday      Track
Nino Valmassoi      2003 SRT          Saturday      Track
Michael von Quilich   2008ACRX         Saturday      Track
Garry Wong      2010 McLaren      Saturday      Track

Copperhead Mike

Hi Dan C.

I was on the list for Sat spectator and BBQ but somehow fell off of your current list.  I still plan to attend.  Would appreciate it if you could put me back on.

Thanks,

Michael V.
2009 ACR
2005 Viper Truck - Quad Cab - Red - SOLD
2006 SRT-10 - Copperhead w/Black Stripes - SOLD
2009 ACR - Graphite/Black - SOLD
2016 Viper GTC T/A 2.0 - White/Demonic Red - SOLD

Mr. Fangs

Got reservations at Hampton Inn. Normal rate $99. With AAA only $89.10. >g

Low rates due to holiday. Normal Racers Rate is $159.
Paul & Teresa 09 Coupe

MoparMan

Dan -

I'm not planning on tracking the IS-F so put Marcela and I in the "watching only" category. Although, we'll be bringing our helmets in the hope that we can get a ride-along in the Gen V to hold us over until ours arrives.

Also, please add Jay Woodard to the list - he'll be along as a guest of ours (with the stipulation that we get any Gen V ride-along he may get  >w).

Hi Everyone and Happy Holidays!

Our SPT track day is around the corner and all of us at SPT and the So Cal Viper Club are looking forward to seeing you.  This will be a well-attended event with Vipers from all corners of Southern California as well as exotics like the new McLaren MP4-12C. This is a driver education event and track groups are organized to reflect your driving skills (beginner, intermediate and advanced). Mild to wild, everyone in his or her comfort zone.

Beginners, we have a great program setup for you so don't feel intimidated, this is going to be fun. For you faster folks, we will have some of the fastest Vipers ever to lap the "fastest track in the west". You will be in good company.

For those who just want to watch, we have sedan laps to get to know the track, a "Budweiser Tower group" for the best view of the action, and limited advanced driver passenger sessions later in the day for those who want to see what a fast lap is like.

Here is the important stuff:

•   A sponsored BBQ at the track will follow the event (about 5:30). Registered attendees are free and guests are $5.00. Please respond if you will attend and the number of guests you will have. There will be some special guests and speakers.

•   There is an open track day on Sunday for track Prepped cars, cost is $150. Call Willow Springs Raceway for additional information.

•   All cars need to be Tech inspected, this service will be provided at the track, but we highly recommend you have your car inspected before you get to the track. SPT will be scheduling inspections and track service prior to the event.  Call 626-588-2883 to schedule your appointment. Unsafe or unmaintained vehicles will not be allowed on the track. Limited trackside service will be available. (See attached vehicle Tech Sheet and recommendation sheet for your Viper.)

We have 2 host Hotels within 10 miles of the track.

Hampton Inn & Suites Lancaster    
2300 W. Double Play Way
Lancaster, CA, 93536
661-940-9194   Homewood Suites by Hilton
2320 Double Play Way
Lancaster, CA 93536
661-723-8040

Notes for Vipers on the track

First off, everyone should have a chance to see what the Dodge Viper can do on a road course in a controlled environment. With lots of torque and some of the widest performance tires available in the market today you will never see the limits of your car on the street. Track time makes you a better driver and gives you new respect for your car.

Here are some tips to make your track experience the best. First off, the Viper engine is a "wet sump" engine. That means that all the engine oil is held in the oil pan. One some high-speed tracks the oil can move to one side of the pan and cause loss of lubrication. To keep this from happening, always make sure your engine oil level is not low. If you own a 1996-2006 model, overfill your oil level about ½ quart above the full line on your dipstick; this will give you an extra margin and peace of mind. If you track your car regularly, there is an oil pan modification to eliminate this condition. Many Viper specific companies carry these.

Tracking your Viper is just like flying an airplane. You need to do a good pre-flight inspection. Make sure your brake and clutch fluids are clear (not discolored). These fluids absorb moisture and can boil in track use and cause the brake or clutch systems to malfunction. These fluids should be changed every two years. Your car should be well maintained and properly serviced.
Tires and brakes are the most important. Your tires should be in good condition with even wear and at least 2/32" tread. The better condition your tires are in the better grip you will have. If your tires are over 6 years old they most likely are as hard as hockey pucks, not good for grip. For street tires, air them to 32psi cold for the track. This is the best starting point, to "dial in" the pressures check the tire pressures right after a few spirited laps, if they pressure go over 40 psi hot, air them down some. Your brake pads should have at least 5mm pad material remaining.

If you have a floor mat in your car, take it out for track use; it can roll up under the pedals. Make sure there are no loose items under the seat or in the trunk, these can roll around. Wear shoes that are closed toed ands do not have loose lases. If you have a convertible, put the top on. On the track run with your windows down, this is safer if you need to exit the car in event of an accident. Get a helmet, its required in most all beginner driving events. It should be a Snell 2005 or better helmet.

There are some safety items that will make your car safer for the track. Tow hooks front and rear will make your car easier to tow if you go off track, a fire extinguisher securely mounted in the car will help protect you in case of a vehicle fire. 5 and 6 point racing belts will hold you in the car better and improve your confidence level. A roll bar will give you improved rollover protection and make the car handle better. If you plan to track your car regularly, talk to a Viper tuner like Specialty Performance Team, there are numerous things that can be done to your Viper to make it safer and perform better.

For beginner drivers that want to improve, the best money spent will be to put a track specific alignment on the car and hire a driving instructor.

Owning a Viper is about having fun, live life and explore the limits.

Drive safe.

SPECIALTY PERFORMANCE TEAM

Tech inspection form

Driver:
Date:
Vehicle Model/ Year
Color:
Stock or Modified:

Note: It is important that your car is safe and defect free before it goes on the track. We strongly recommend you have your car professionally inspected before track use. If you are self-teching your car, do not assume all your lug nuts are tight or your fluid levels are correct. It is your responsibility to physically inspect all the items on this list.

WHEELS and TIRES:
Good Condition, 6 years old or less, no cording       yes/no
All lug nuts present and torqued               yes/no
Tire pressures set                     yes/no
ENGINE
Fluid levels correct                     yes/no
Leaks                                   yes/no
Radiator overflow ok                     yes/no
Fluid lines ok                        yes/no
BRAKES
Firm Pedal                           yes/no
Fluid discolored or low                          yes/no
Brake lights working                     yes/no
Pads more than 5mm                     yes/no
Rotors cracked or warped (pedal pulsates)         yes/no
STEERING
Wheel bearings no play                          yes/no
Steering tight/ no play in wheel               yes/no
BODY
Gas cap present and tight                  yes/no
Body panels secure                     yes/no
Safety Equipment
Helmet (mandatory all groups) Snell 2005 or newer   yes/no
Seats secure                        yes/no
No loose items in car or trunk               yes/no
Closed toe shoes                        yes/no
Seat Belts properly installed                       yes/no
Approved seat belts
OEM                              yes/no
5-6 point                           yes/no
4 Point (must be inspected at track tech)                 yes/no

Note: mark each item yes or no.

Print name:
Inspected by:
Signature:

For tech inspections/ service call SPT at (626) 588-2882

Dan Cragin
626-588-2882
[email protected]
www.specialtyperformance.com
919 So. Fremont Ave, Alhambra, Ca 91803

ViperX

Well gang, the good news is it looks like there is no rain in the long range forecast for Saturday or Sunday!

The other news is that it's going to be a bit cool and maybe even chilly in the early morning.....but Lance and I have each reserved a garage, one for me (Cathy makes me do it) and one for the club.  I'll have a couple of electric heaters set up in my garage and likely Lance or somebody else can bring a couple more for the So Cal Club garage.  We are right next door to each other, so it should be fun.  Also, I'll likely park my ACR in the garage between sessions, which should help warm things up.

Definitely bring your folding chairs and warm clothes to this one.

See you at the track,

Dan

Kala

I emailed Dan... Can't wait to be back at WSR  =15

*watching* LOL

Dan E, I have a couple of new space heaters in storage if you want me to bring them for one of the garages. Let me know.

What a great way to start the New Year!
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

ViperX

Quote from: Kala on December 29, 2012, 03:06:45 PM
I emailed Dan... Can't wait to be back at WSR  =15

*watching* LOL

Dan E, I have a couple of new space heaters in storage if you want me to bring them for one of the garages. Let me know.

What a great way to start the New Year!

Kala,

Thanks for the offer.  If you can bring them, I think most of our guys would love it.  

The garages have electricity, so that makes it much easier to keep things warm.

See you at the track,

Dan