SS BRAKE LINES

Started by 10 BANGR, December 19, 2010, 05:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

10 BANGR

I just ordered a set (front & rear) of Stop-Tech braided brake lines that I'll be installing ASAIGET'EM.  Any tips or tricks to these.
I'm thinking it's pretty much a straight fwd swap. Any shop days in the near future? Have we had any in the past?

Demoe    " ^ "
............. \$/
Demoe - 2006 SRT10 VERT BLACK / GRAPHITE METALLIC STRIPES

ViperX

Demoe,

Not as straight forward as it seems.

Be sure to route the hoses correctly so that they don't touch the inside of the wheels up front at full lock.  You will need to use the zip ties in the kit along with the rubber hose pieces.

The front and rear,the brackets that tie into the existing braking system can be a little tricky and will leak if not carefully seated.  Don't over tighten these but do snug them up.

Bleed the brakes completely when finished and check for leaks.

Dan

PCH VIPER

I agree with Dan....
Seems simple and actually is, but something always seems to pop up which will cause a little grief.
Take your time, check and double check clearances and watch for leaks.
Make sure you have EXTRA brake fluid on hand too.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

10 BANGR

Thanks for the heads up guys.
I will take my time doing this as I do with all projects/mods on my vehicles.
You would think they would have something more reliable than zip ties to brace the lines in place away from the wheels being that they will eventually fail and brake off. I think i'll safety wire them somehow instead.

BTW Lance,
I have more fluids in my garage than I know what to do with. Always well stocked.  >v

ticketmered

Demoe,

I second what Lance and Dan said. I too felt it would be a simple swap then one hose leaked. I thightened the nut over and over to no avail.  Good luck with this.

10 BANGR

Quote from: ticketmered on December 20, 2010, 07:10:20 PM
Demoe,

I second what Lance and Dan said. I too felt it would be a simple swap then one hose leaked. I thightened the nut over and over to no avail.  Good luck with this.

Did you end up with the stock ones.

PCH VIPER

Hey Demoe,
There is a bit of a trick to using tie wraps.  First off, use the heavy duty black tie wraps.
Second thing is to use 2 tie wraps.

This pic is from my Gen 2, but you can see the method of using 2 tie wraps.
One tie wrap goes around (whatever you are going to secure the SS brake line to) and it "captures" the second tie wrap.  This one is snugged down.  The second tie wrap will go around the SS line but is NOT tightened down.  You'll want to leave it a bit loose so that the SS line can move freely and is not restrained. 
The second thing this does is it keeps the SS hose from coming in direct contact with whatever you are connecting it to and will eliminate the possibility of "wearing through".

Hope this helps.

ticketmered

Quote from: 10 BANGR on December 20, 2010, 07:19:18 PM
Did you end up with the stock ones.

Turns out the hose was defective and had to get a new one.  I worked with JonB and he got me a replacement from StopTech.  I still have not gotten around to replacing it. 

PCH VIPER

Quote from: ticketmered on December 20, 2010, 09:38:59 PM
Turns out the hose was defective and had to get a new one.  I worked with JonB and he got me a replacement from StopTech.  I still have not gotten around to replacing it. 

>1

EXHLR8N

And when all else fails, there is always Dan Cragen.  Good luck!
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

10 BANGR

I was able to get my brake lines installed today.
It all went pretty smooth and had them installed in 3 of hrs.
I did not see the need of having the line on the rears tie wraped on the upper control arms
as noted in the picture posted by Lance on his Gen 2. Should I have? All clearence was good at full lock L/R.
Firmness of the pedal was not as announced as I thought it would be during the test drive
but then again, the car hardly even got a chance to warm up.
Thanks for the heads up guys.
Here's a few snaps.

Right side

Rear

Driver's side

ViperX

Demoe,

I never noticed any difference on the street between the OE rubber brake lines and the SS lines.  As you may or may not know, the OE rubber lines have a greater "pressure" capacity than the caliper seals, so unless you are tracking your car, you don't really need to change the brake lines to SS.

Now, on the track, on a hot day after 5 or 6 laps and then stopping hard, say down from 150 to 75 or so, you will notice a firmer pedal with the SS lines.

Dan