Recommendations of San Diego vendors please

Started by Kanaljen, August 25, 2010, 04:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanaljen

Hope I post in the right thread...

For a 96 GTS: Would like to have the following done by reputable vendors around San Diego.
I don't want to contact a vendor in yellow pages, only to hear that "Vipers are their specialty!!" even though they never worked on one...

- Replace windshield (have a small crack in it...)  Don't need some .... to scratch my ride while mounting some crappy windshield that later will leak...

- Refurbish BBS LM rims.  They are polished and have a something similar to clear coat on them.  Looks NICE but two has some slight curb rash.   I would like to have them stripped, worked, polished and recoated with the same clear coat. Same here, want a shop that sets quality over quantity, must come out perfect!

- Purchase and installation of 3.55 gears. The installation is what's critical so as the other two to-dos, I really want it to be done in a shop that has done tons of diff installs and takes pride in doing it right!

- Aluminum sills: Have two small bubbles in the paint.  Some say from the heat, some say from corrosion because water gets trapped in the insulation plus the prime wasn't good to start with..  I Would like to do it right and take them off, tig-weld two small areas closed, sand, prime and re-paint to perfectly match
Most of us know what these sills cost... So there can't be any surprised here; the person must have done this 1,00 time before and have as many happy customers!

Any help appreciated!

ViperX

Call Randy Begin at:  619-299-9367.

I think his company is Mission Hills Automotive in San Diego.

Randy is a Viper owner and the shop owner as well.  Randy sweats the details.

He can do some of this work for you at his shop and he can definitely help you with all of it.

Dan

Kanaljen

Thank you Dan!

Randy, are you joining us at the Coronado Speed Festival?  Would be great to actually look at the work done while discussing it?

Anyone: Other options for the stuff outside Randy's scope?

AceFang

For the 3.55 gears, I highly recommend Unitrax Drivetrain Inc.  When I was researching this I found out these guys are the best and they were close to me in Anaheim, so I had them do it.  I put 3.55's in my 99 RT/10 at 35,802 miles, now have 51,000 miles on it and no problems.  I have even seen this company and their "differential guy", Devon, mentioned on both the SoCal and National forums.

If you do not find somebody highly recommended closer to San Diego, it might be worth the trip to have it done in Orange County.  Their phone number is 714-630-4327.
John Bennett

Kanaljen

Exactly the info I'm looking for (for the diff)!

A drive to Orange County to have Unitrax Drivetrain Inc do the work, if they are the best, is well worth it!

Keep em' coming, looking for the top-notch vendors around San Diego (and I should say Los Angeles too)

Kanaljen

Spoke with Unitrax Drivetrain Inc and think that will be the place for my diff!  Great guys, very knowledgable, specializing in diff and not too far from San Diego.

So, 1 of 4 down..  Now I need some advice on new windshield, refurbish BBS rims and repair sills.. 

AceFang

I live about 7 miles from Unitrax. How long will the car be there?  If it is just one day and you are just hanging around, perhaps we can have lunch.
John Bennett

Kanaljen

John, yeah, that would be great!  Not that familiar with the newer Vipers so it would be interesting to talk about the differences!  (Mine is a b/w 96 GTS..)

AceFang

Let me know when you schedule it.  I will be on a family vacation to the East Coast from Sep 15-23, and then to VOI from Sep 29-Oct 4.  But if it works out, I can pick you up at Unitrax and we can talk.  I also have a '99 RT/10.
John Bennett

Redsled

The windshield can be done by any shop that handles car glass installation.  If the crack is very small you can also get it filled and it will not be noticeble. Have done that several times on the race car with no issues. Nothing special about a Viper windshield.  Unitrax is the way to go. 3.55's are a great upgrade. They have done all 3 of my Vipers in the past.  Contact Wheelsamerica for the BBS LM wheels. I think theyhave a place off the 10 freeway near Anaheim. I used a set for the track and had them reworked prior to selling them off. Good luck.
-Jonathan

Kanaljen

Well, I don't want to go to just any place out of the yellow pages for my windshield replacement... Already heard some crazy stories about showing up with the wrong one and only notice it after the 1st one was out..  leaking.. scatching the hood..

Wheelsamerica..  I'll check them out, thanks! Seems like an LA trip is in the order!