Coupe fuel door retrofit on Convertible

Started by 10 BANGR, June 07, 2010, 07:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10 BANGR

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/637017-coupe-fuel-door-retrofit-convertible.html

I started looking into the possibility of retrofitting a coupe fuel door on my convertible. I talked to Michael at XVIPERS which carries these doors at a much better prize than the dealership is asking for and in spite of all that's been said about Michael here on the forum, I found him to be a (for the 4th time) pleasure to do business with. He then referred me to Mark Jorgensen (nice guy) from WOODHOUSE who had retrofitted a Coupe fuel door on a Convertible. He was very kind taking the time to explain what he had done. Once I got a visual on the process I decided to tackle the job myself. This may not be for everyone since it involves trimming of the panel without being able to return to stock. All I can say is that once I saw the results I see no reason to.

Parts;

06'- up coupe fuel door.
5 Allen head bolts (Included w/door)
Coupe fuel filler neck (mount) housing

Tools I Needed;

Drill motor
Drill bits 1/4, 3/8
1" Rotary file
2" Sanding disk
90 degree Dotco motor
Allen wrench 5MM
Phillips screw driver
1/4" drive 12mm socket
1/4" ratchet

I'll try to keep it as simple as possible.

Start (Mask as req'd for protection)

1. Remove RR wheel
2. Remove aft wheel liner
3. Remove fuel door (2 T30 Torx bolts)
4. Remove fuel cap. (Protect/cover with clean shop towel)
5. Remove filler neck (3 Phillip screws)
6. Remove filler neck housing (4 Phillip screws)

Trimming of panel (Take your time)

7. The raised fuel door mounting portion on the panel will be completely trimmed off to allow for new door to nest flush into position. Touch up with paint after trim is optional since it will not be exposed.

Locating new fuel door.

8. Remove the 2 aligning pins on back of fuel door.
(Convertible panels do not have pin alignment/locating holes)

9. Insert allen head bolt in top right hole of fuel door and into the existing top right hole on panel. This is the only existing hole that is used on new door for alignment/installation (hole depicted directly above control arm bolt). Center the fuel door with panel's fuel door cut out(even constant gap) and drill a 1/4" hole diagonally (kitty corner/bottom left) from alignment hole.(hole depicted directly below flor jack).
Note: Opening noted aligning hole may be required (3/8) for additional play/adjustment. Protective tape removed for locating/aligning purpose.

10. Install filler neck housing (coupe) to panel and fuel door with allen head bolts secure/tight in place. Spot drill only the (3) remaining holes.(recheck alignment first)

11. Remove fuel door & housing and drill thru remainder of spotted holes on panel.
Note: Bottom right hole may break out at the edge of trimmed area. The hole will remain functional.(hole depicted directly below connecting rod).

12. Reinstall filler neck housing and fuel door assembly (5 allen bolts) and check for flushness around periphery of door. Remove and Trim casting as required at mating points to achieve flushness. Repeat this step as required.

13. Replace by repeating steps 1-6 in reverse order and you are done. I installed the grounding wire on a bolt connecting the panel and bumper together using a hex nut. Brewsky time.....

Here is a link to additional pics. Anyone in SoCal area wanting to do this send me a PM
http://rides.webshots.com/album/577690804UYUuiU
Demoe - 2006 SRT10 VERT BLACK / GRAPHITE METALLIC STRIPES

ViperX

I think I remember Glenn Izard doing this too.

Dan

1HOTACR

Yup I did.   You have to cut into the fender. and grind the back of the fuel door
mounting plate.  Kind of a crazy feeling cutting into the fender cus there is no turning back.
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

10 BANGR

You still have your Vert?
Quote from: 1HOTV10 on June 08, 2010, 04:26:19 PM
Yup I did.   You have to cut into the fender. and grind the back of the fuel door
mounting plate.  Kind of a crazy feeling cutting into the fender cus there is no turning back.

PCH VIPER

It's no longer a vert....now it"s a race car

>r
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

NK BREKR

Demoe,  Thanks for the write up, the 10 Banger looks good.

10 BANGR

10 BANGR

Quote from: NK BREKR on June 08, 2010, 10:28:17 PM
Demoe,  Thanks for the write up, the 10 Banger looks good.

Thanks Art,
It was added to the How-Tos on the VCA web site. You can view the pics there.