Oil in the intake, 2009 ACR - need a catch can / breather system!

Started by ViperX, September 11, 2009, 05:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

Hey Guys,

Hoped SRT would have solved this, but looks like they didn't!

Check out the oil in the lower intake manifold of my 2009 ACR.

Working on a catch can now.

Dan

PCH VIPER

Interesting.
I know that once I put the catch can on my GTS, the rear bumper no longer gets covered in the black soot.
Do you get much of that soot on your gen4 ?
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Newport Viper

04 SRT-10

ViperX

Hey Lance,

Not as much as the GTS.  The 09 seems to put the soot on the side of the rear quarter panels, just behind the back tires, probably due to the side exit exhaust.

Horsepower and torque seem to be a bit lower due to the oil in the intake, though it happened so gradually, I really didn't notice it until we "dynoed" the cars.

I've wiped the intake runners clean in the heads and will add some injector cleaner and run the car around a bunch which should help. 

I also decreased the inside diameter of the vacuum hose pulling oil from the passenger side valve cover per Arrow Racing's recommendation.  You may want to do the same, easy to do, just stuff a short section of a smaller hose into the plastic piece between the valve cover and the intake manifold.  Arrow recommended going to a 1/8 inch diameter opening.

Dan  <2

EXHLR8N

The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

PCH VIPER

I washed the car this morning and as described there was a pretty healthy film of black soot on the side panels behind the rear wheels.  Very similar to what I used to get on the rear of my GTS.

I'll have to get some info from you on the catch can later.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

Bruce,

In a word, YES.  All Viper pcv systems seem to put some oil into the intake, they just put more oil into the intake if you run them hard with sticky tires.  Tracking, running the Silver State or even just running through the hills like we did on Sunday all seem to put oil into the intake.  Paxton cars should all have breather systems.

I have breather systems with catch cans on my Paxton SRT-10 and GTS.  You will likely need to remove them for smog checks, so it's best to come up with a simple system that can be installed and removed easily and quickly.

I found a catch can that looks promising for my ACR.  I'll install it this week.  If all works as planned, it will be an easy install without cutting into anything.

Lance,

I'd do the "small hose" trick as described below before too much oil builds up in the intake.

Dan

EXHLR8N

Dan - let us know how it works, and I will install.  I am sure everyone else will as well.  Thanks for the heads up.
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Specialty Performance Team

We will be fitting a new breather system to Paul Poizner's car in few days. I will let you know how it works!

Dan

Super Villain

For the Gen 3s....

On the passenger side valve cover there is a hose that goes from the valve cover to the air intake before the throttle body.

On the driver's side there is a hose that goes from the driver side valve cover into the intake manifold (this is after the throttle body).

Can someone confirm that we should be running a catch can between both of those hoses?  And if so, I imagine you would have to run two catch cans (one for each hose)?  Since if you run both into the same catch can it would get a vacuum leak as the one behind the throttle body would suddenly be able to pull in air from the one before the throttle body?  Or do you just plug up one of the hoses?

Here is one I am looking at:  http://www.mckinneyraceworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=80&osCsid=82ee372c6ffdc16de143926d4b7895a6

If you look at the diagram further down you'll see how they suggest it be installed, but this seems to be assuming that the air flow is only in one direction.

Thoughts?

"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

ViperX

SV,

The catch can that you are considering should work fine with your car.  It is a "closed" system and therefore more of a street version (I run mine on the track, so no smog issues).  You will want to check this "catch can" from time to time (as it's a bit small for Viper) and be sure to empty it as it will fill with oil, which is much better than running it through your engine.

In your case, you would connect the hose from under the intake to the "cleaned air" side and the hose from the valve cover (where the intake hose came from) to the "dirty air with vapors in it" side.  The hose that connects to the air intake in front of the T-body would remain at it's current position.  This keeps a bit of negative air pressure in the engine, which is a good thing.

We can talk about this Saturday if you'd like.

Dan

Super Villain

Thanks Dan!  Great info as usual!  I just ordered the can so we'll see when she gets here.

We'll definitely talk more on Sat.  I assume the same connection setup would apply on a boosted setup...thinking about doing the same for the Vette.
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

ViperX

Quote from: Super Villain on March 16, 2010, 06:26:03 PM
Thanks Dan!  Great info as usual!  I just ordered the can so we'll see when she gets here.

We'll definitely talk more on Sat.  I assume the same connection setup would apply on a boosted setup...thinking about doing the same for the Vette.

Yes.  All boosted engines should have catch cans even more so than NA track engines.

Super Villain

Writing up an article with pics for my catch can set up.  Hope to post it tonight.  Stay tuned.