Using Stoptech big brakes on a GTS

Started by Speedtactics, September 04, 2009, 03:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedtactics

Hey guys I bet someone out there knows the answer to this question. I am going to do a big brake upgrade on my 2000 GTS and I'm running OEM 18" wheels. Can I run the Stoptech ST-60 with 14" rotors in the front and the ST-40 with 13" in the rear. Let me know if anyone out there might be running a similar set up.
Hirk
This is the kit I'm looking at for the front.
http://raceshopper.com/brake_rotors/stoptech/st83.260.6700.shtml
These guys claim it fits. I am not buying them from here just using them for info.
Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics

ViperX

Hey Scott,

You should talk to JonB at Partsrack.  He will know the answer.

The best way to go is Dave's kit with SRT-10 brakes all around but I don't think the rears will fit with OE wheels.  I have a set of used SRT Rotors that I'll give you if you go this way and want them. 

I think you can go SRT-10 brakes up front then take your GTS fronts and swap them to the rear.  I think Ben Kawata did this last year.  Lance will know as he helped with the install.  Saves a few Pesos and gives you a very good braking system for the bucks.  I think they'll fit OE wheels too.

I do think the Stoptech kits that you describe will fit.

See you at the track,

Dan

Speedtactics

Dan,
Thanks. I'm shying away form the SRT kit. By the time I'm done buying all the parts, I can get the Stoptech kit with six piston in front and 4 in rear for basically the same price because I have a connection. That comes with everything I need. Also comes with very nice two piece rotors that are light. The six piston on front is a killer set up. I have seen it on other vipers but not taken note to see which wheels they were running and if I need spacers or not. I'm going to talk to Dc and pick their brain before I buy.
Hirk
Scott Hirko

ViperX

I'd ask around on the six piston kit for GTS.  Make sure the GTS master cylinder will work with the six piston setup.  I know a few guys who've tried it and didn't like it.

If I were going Stoptech up front, I'd stick with the 4 piston set up, especially without ABS.

Good luck,

Dan

Speedtactics

Here is the thread from the VCA forum and the instal photos on the big brake kit.
For anyone who has a Gen I or Gen II and are thinking about brake upgrades this is for you.
Plus bonus Photos of the Flying Hawaiian installing brakes and grinding suspension!
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/629552-using-stoptech-big-brakes-2000-gts.html
Scott Hirko