Somewhere on the Angeles Crest Hwy...

Started by BolsOut, July 22, 2009, 05:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BolsOut

Took tha Big Orange out for a spin on Highway 2. Never been there B4, thought I'd check it out.
It was a Tuesday afternoon. I'd heard the weekend traffic up there can get pretty hefty, but today it was just me and the mountain.
<u
I've been on many great roads & rides, mostly astride a Harley. Never one like this tho. As soon as I cleared "Civilization" it became a two lane stretch cutting its way in and through the canyons.
>j
Oh, good grief! That sweeper was Great! Prolly be the only one...wait! Hold-on, carve this turn- High entry/late twothirdsapex/high exit, setup for the next...oohh, that one was even better....
<K
...Keeping it in third, plenty of torque coming out and enough compression going in- havent touched the brakes for miles...

At about 55 miles in I stopped and took a breather. Realized I was getting kinda tired (kinda O> old) and would still have to drive back.
It struck me about fifteen minutes into my little break that I hadnt seen or heard a single soul since i'd been there. Hadnt passed one in 20 miles. The only sounds were made by me &/or the wind coming up the canyon.
Spectacular!
Of course, as I'm thinking this, the unmistakable ROAR of an American V-8 crescendos in from the east. It builds in fury until a black A/C Cobra blows by in joyous WOT.
>r
Take some pics, suck down some water, soak up a little more silence, then its time to go.
The drive back is a little faster- no hidden descending radius killer turns to worry about. I'm familiar with the road now and i push it just a little bit harder- but not much. So many beautifully long sweepers and quick switchbacks - one after the other-What a Great driving road!
The car was flawless, tho I see a new set of Borla Cat-Backs in my near future- lotsa heat in the cockpit!
As I type this I cant help but think how fortunate I am to live in the best part of the best state of the best country in the world, and have access to such a great car with so many great roads to ring it out on.
Heres to the Good Life!

ViperX

PCH VIPER

I need to retire....

Thanks for sharing and letting us enjoy the ride.  Its great that you are able to get out and enjoy it.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Kala

I used to run this canyon every day, for 6 months while working on our house in LA...  <2

I made a few runs thru the 2Fwy/angeles crest canyons with some crotch rocket guys...  They are freaking crazy. They seemed to like that the Viper could keep up with them. I got stuck behind some traffic on the one lanes, they waited for me to get to a passing lane, and off we went again... Too much fun... I've also been up there when the CHP is running speed traps... They take flatbed tow trucks and fill them up with bikes  >1 Cell phones don't work up there, its bad news if you get into trouble...

Awesome roads... It would be kinda cool to do a sight seeing club run..
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

BolsOut

Quote from: Kala on July 23, 2009, 11:36:23 AM
I used to run this canyon every day, for 6 months while working on our house in LA...  <2

Awesome roads... It would be kinda cool to do a sight seeing club run..

Great Idea, Tho I dont know if theres anything else to do up there but drive. The only "Destination" I saw was the ski lodge about 30 miles in. Of course, you're prolly much more familiar with the surroundings, any suggestions?

It would be a fun trip regardless.
<1