Dave Cawthorne

Started by PCH VIPER, May 24, 2009, 06:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCH VIPER

Thank you everyone for your show of support for a very dear friend.
With about 30 cars in single file line, we ran a "Missing Man" formation in front of Dave's house. Dave and his Wife were sitting in the garage watching as we all passed through. I took a brief minute to stop and deliver a bouquet of yellow flowers in a Viper vase and was able to hug my dear friend one last time. With tears streaming down both our faces, I managed to get out some words and assured him that there was support in spirit from across the entire Viper Nation there with us today.

His condition is not likely to get better and sadly will have to endure some very rough days still yet to come. Hopefully our visit today will provide him with some strength to fight through the pain.

A very sad Lance
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Kala

Thanks for your report Lance.

I'm glad you got to give a hug to OGO.... Our thoughts have been with all of you today.
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

ViperX

Glad I had the chance to sit with Dave for a moment yesterday.  I thanked him for letting all of us come by his house.  He told me that at first he was against our "drive by" but when we got there he became very glad that we came by.

Even in his current condition, he found it hard not to crack a smile with a group of Viper friends driving by.

He asked me for help in trying to sell his business and I'll work on that.

To all that couldn't make this "last minute effort" (sorry about that), I think we may have helped him understand how much we all care for him.  Also, I think we provided him with a few pleasant moments that helped to distract him from the pain he's now in.

Dan

ticketmered

Any news on Dave? Anyone sees or speaks to his wife please let him know Carlos is praying for him and his family.  Haven't known him for too long but long enough to know he is a good guy.

admin

Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time now.  Our farewell was the drive-by.  >o

PCH VIPER

I got an email from Arlene today....
He has been unresponsive  and has not taken in any liquids or food the last 2 days.

It is better for him that it is going fast........horrible for all others.

admin

Today, our friend Dave died peacefully at 12:30 pm. 

Dave was a great guy and a good friend.  He is survived by his wife, two children and four grandchildren.  He will be missed.

In place of flowers, if anyone was thinking of sending them, please donate to the nonprofit center that Arlene works for.  Dave would like that. 

Ed Brown Senior Center (EBSC)
18402 West Bernardo Drive
San Diego, CA 92127

FYI:  There will be a memorial party planned in Dave's honor.  Info will follow.

ticketmered

I am saddened by this great loss to our club. Dave treated me well when we interacted and was a class act.  I first met him at Lance's shop when he brought his toys to weigh our cars. 
Rest in peace OGO =16

NK BREKR

Horrible news, may OGO now rest in peace =16.  Thoughts and prayers are with Arlene and the rest of the family.

viperCFP

What a day.  I can't sleep.  I woke up this morning, and 2 minutes later, my phone rings.  My Mom tells me that my Grandfather stopped breathing and is unconscious in the ICU.  Later on in the day, I found out about Dave.

I can say I only met Dave in-person a handful of times, but even before the first time we met, I felt like I knew the guy.  I had started by reading some of his posts, then familiarized myself with the parts he sold.  Most importantly I gained a sense of his enthusiasm and fervor for sharing his hobby.  Then I got around to buying my dream car.

Within months, I called him to order up some highly recommended parts.  He spent a while on the phone with me even though he was taking the call from his cell phone (he was at the track) from a total stranger.  The more questions I asked the more eager he seemed to answer, over engines roaring in the background.  In February of 2008, the club was at Buttonwillow.  I sneaked away from my soon-to-be wife's family to go watch some Vipers.  Dave was walking in my direction, so I introduced myself.  Sure enough, he was the guy I envisioned.  Mellow and thoroughly enjoying himself, we chatted not only about the cars we loved but also about economics and history.  In many ways, he reminded me of my Grandpa, sharing wisdom with an ease that can only be gained through the years.  I am very happy with the short time in which our paths crossed.  Dave, my Grandpa is not up there yet, but when he joins you, show him what our cars are about!

RIP OGO
Michael
Instagram: @viperCFP
'96 GTS (2nd caretaker)

hemotox

I am in Ireland  and this has saddened me today. I will miss his laugh and his enthusiasm. He was Mr. So Cal Viper
this is the passing of a true icon.

2008 SRT10 Coupe Snake Skin Green with Silver Stripes, only 17 produced in 2008

Newport Viper

Wow.... What can you say. Such a great guy. Rest in peace OGO.
04 SRT-10

yeloone

This is really a difficult note to write!  I really miss Dave.  He was my first contact with the SoCal
club.  He spent a great deal of time filling me in on all the details.
He always had a great relaxed smile and I immediately felt comfortable with him. He and Arlene
were a super couple.
I've been procrastinating having a colonoscopy for the past six months.  Dave's situation made
me bite the bullet and by coincidence I had mine scheduled for the day he passed away.......somehow,
I think Dave was looking out for me.
We will all miss you!               

ViperX

Rest in Peace my friend.

Dan

PCH VIPER

Pictures from the past are posted on my site.

www.kouchicentral.com