VIPER DAYS at WILLOW SPRINGS - September 13 & 14

Started by admin, April 03, 2008, 12:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

Art,

I get what's called an aggressive street alignment for my SRTC from Archer.

This is a good alignment for a street car that sees some twisties (like Malibu or SD Canyon runs) or an occasional track day.  Turn in and handling are good for both the street and the track.  Tire wear is good.

My GTS gets a full track alignment, lots of camber, toe in rear and toe out front.  Turn in and handling are very good on the track, a bit of a handful on the street.  Tire wear on the street is excessive but very good on the track.

OGO,

Yes, it seems that the sun is shining on us again weather wise (or not shining).

Highs are low and lows are in the sixties.  Late morning runs should be great.

Dan

SoCal Rebell

Quote from: Super Villain on September 08, 2008, 10:37:55 AM
My appointment with them is right after Dan's  <1  Something about a head and cam package...j/k  >w 

I have been looking at the track map, but also found this video which I thought was helpful to visualize.  I am sure there are plenty, but this one we really clear.  This guy takes one lap around CW starting at 1 and goes on to 2, 3, etc.  Watching the video while following along with the track map I thought was helpful.

30 secs into the video is when the run actually starts (after all the intro crap)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5635919884497882667&ei=CfvESIHFOpPYqAPigp23BQ&q=willow+springs+raceway&vt=lf&hl=en

My .02 on the video is turn #1 fine, sweeper #2 stay more center track, you'll  carry more speed and decrease you radius towards the apex, turn #3 turn in later and take a straighter line up the hill (full gas), #4 was blocked by a car, #5, #6 & #7 fine, #8 stay 1 car width off the inside line carry more speed and take out the "washboard", #9 was blocked by a car off track but remember late apex the turn......stay out.

Speed Ticket Brekr, a good compromise is +6 caster, neutral to -20 total toe, Camber -1.9 front and -1.3 rear, this is a great track/street compromise. Remember it will be "darty" on the street at first but you will get used to it fast. The biggest problem in the Viper is the "push" around turns hence the -1.9 front camber.

SoCal Rebell

Quote from: ViperX on September 07, 2008, 06:09:38 PM
Hey Ron,

Jonathan Martinez said he might make it.

There are a few other guys you can have fun with too.

Dan

I spoke to Jonathan and am awaiting a reply, you got the same Oct. 10th track date as me at Buttonwillow. If he shows he will run in Red Race group. You wanna see someone fast.....Terry Rossi will be there in David's '08 coupe and running in the same white run group, I will fight to keep up with him. But he will be faster then me  <D

ViperX

Ron,

I know Terry pretty well and have had him instruct me several times; he is very smooth and very fast.

Though I doubt you'll have much trouble keeping up with Terry (on street tires) if you're in the ACR on Cups - I've seen both of you drive.

Glad you're coming, should be fun to watch the two of you.

Dan

On the video, I mostly agree with Ron's comments.  This guy is driving a 4 wheel drive, lightweight race car, so our Viper lines will be a bit different.  I prefer to double apex turn 2.  This guy seems to go in late, kinda hug the inside part of the corner, making that last turn onto the short straight a bit tight.  I think he loses speed in this turn too and heats up his tires. 

If you go into turn 3 in a Viper where this guy in the 4 wheel drive car does and carry some speed, you'll go off if you get on the gas too hard.

There is a pretty good section of "wash board" in 8.  Opinions vary on this high speed turn.  I normally go through it as close to the dirt as possible (this is what Terry Rossi teaches) - I think it helps straighten out that section of the turn.  It does take some cajones to go 125-130 mph while turning on a washboard section of track.  I've tried (and will try again) going one car off the inside of the turn but don't feel as comfortable there.  Feels kinda like I'm turning longer.  My .02 cents.

Definitely stay out on 9 and turn in late.  9 is a very difficult turn to feel good about.

SoCal Rebell

Dan, if you don't run White group because of heat soaking ride with me a session, I'll show you a line through 8/9 you never saw before (I think). It's fast and is a "race line" that requires great timing, but if ya hit it, it's a money line  ^2

NK BREKR

Dan and Ron,

Thanks for the advice, I'll set up my appointment with Archer and I'll see you fellas this weekend.

ViperX

Hey Ron,

I'd like that. 

I just can't fit in any Viper with a helmet on unless the seat is lowered the full 2 inches.

I have race seats in my GTS.  Maybe you can ride with me once and show me your line.

Dan

SoCal Rebell

Quote from: NK BREKR on September 09, 2008, 07:41:22 AM
Dan and Ron,

Thanks for the advice, I'll set up my appointment with Archer and I'll see you fellas this weekend.

Save the speeding for the track  >w

swisspower

<2
Hey Everybody!
Just found out I can make it to the Viper Days event this weekend! But, before I book a reservation at the hotel I wanted to see if anyone would like to split a room out there. If you would be interested please call me at 858-735-8048.
Peter
AKA Swisspower

NK BREKR

Quote from: SoCal Rebell on September 09, 2008, 04:44:35 PM
Save the speeding for the track  >w

Come on Ron, I wasn't speeding, the CHP was going too slow  >k  That's why he had to wait to flash the lights until I got to the stop sign.

SoCal Rebell

Quote from: swisspower on September 09, 2008, 08:44:47 PM
<2
Hey Everybody!
Just found out I can make it to the Viper Days event this weekend! But, before I book a reservation at the hotel I wanted to see if anyone would like to split a room out there. If you would be interested please call me at 858-735-8048.
Peter
AKA Swisspower

Peter are you Swiss? My fiance was born and raised in Switzerland  ^2

ViperX

Ron,

Art  <2  never speeds, just look at how long his OE brakes lasted on his SRT-10 - like not very long!

catwood

Slocal's gonna fit into a race seat...that would be worth the drive up just to see that. <L

Quote from: ViperX on September 09, 2008, 12:39:12 PM
Hey Ron,

I'd like that. 

I just can't fit in any Viper with a helmet on unless the seat is lowered the full 2 inches.

I have race seats in my GTS.  Maybe you can ride with me once and show me your line.

Dan

SoCal Rebell

Quote from: catwood on September 10, 2008, 12:28:59 PM
Slocal's gonna fit into a race seat...that would be worth the drive up just to see that. <L

The student speaks  >5

Carl, I really wish you'd come up for one day packing some Hoosiers or Goodyear slicks so I can humble you like Terry is gonna humble me  <D

swisspower

Yes, I am from Zurich, the German part of Switzerland. Where is your fiancee from?
Looking forward to meet you at the track. I am the guy with the 2001 Saphire Blue ACR with silver stripes and license plate SWSPOWR.
Peter
AKA SWISSPOWER