Feb 3rd & 4th - Viper Days at Buttonwillow

Started by admin, December 01, 2006, 10:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

The Southern California Viper Club is renting garage #4 - We'll plan to see all you drivers here!

The "host" hotel information:

Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield
VIPER DAYS GROUP RATE $84.00
1-800-325-3535 Central Reservation
5101 California Avenue · Bakersfield, California 93309
Phone: (661) 325-9700

LINK TO VIPER DAYS HOME PAGE:
http://www.viperdays.com/home.html

HOTEL LINK:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=822

Pricing and application information now posted on the Viper Days website: http://www.viperdays.com/page.htm?id=68

Please see the attached details for Viper Days.

racecars

8)

I've got my room ;D ???  Goodnight Inn 10 mins from the track 661-764-5121

Guess I'm first again ??? Lance :P

Dave

No Rice

This looks very interesting to me. From reading the viperdays webpage it looks like I would need to add a hardtop or a rollbar to my SRT10. Is this correct? I would also need to run in the unlimited class due to my extensive motor upgrades, is there a big difference between the classes besides speeds? This would be my first time ever on a track, so I am thinking it may be better to go to a driving school where I can use their car before taking my car onto a track. Also I currently run drag radials and stock pilots, so I would assume I either change the rears to a stock pilots or change all 4 tires to sport cups? What tires are recommended? I put down approx. 800rwhp/720rwtq via a paxton.

PCH VIPER

Hey James,
You need to get in contact with Dan Everts (ViperX)...
I gaurantee he will have all your answers.

Dave.....I've been busy getting ready for the upgrade....that's my excuse  ;)
Thanks for the hotel #.

Lance
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

James,

You will love Viper Days.  Cathy and I will be there, both driving our Vipers.  We are planning to go up Friday for a test and tune day with several other Viper owners. 

First, though your car will be classified "unlimited", you will run in the beginner's (green) group.  You won't have much choice on this as you are a newbie with no track experience.  You will also get an instructor, attend classes and you will be glad that you did both.  I started this way two years ago in my supercharged car and had a blast.  I wasted them in the straights - and then they caught me in the turns!

I have done a few driving schools and I always learned something from them, but there is nothing like driving and learning in your own car.

We'll have a garage rented for the so cal group and there should be a pretty good turn out considereing that it's a superbowl weekend.  The dinner on Saturday night is always fun.  Stay at the host hotel if you can.  There are some pretty good rookie discounts too.

As for tires, your drag radials won't make it on the track.  Just run a set of Michelin Pilots Sports, OE tires and wheels work best for your first few times at the track.  Don't mix tires.  They should be the same brand, type and about the same age.  If you are currently running 18's, you can get Pilot Sports in those sizes.  275 / 35 / 18 front and 335 / 30 / 18 rear.  Call JonB at Parts Rack.  He may have some deals on tire / wheel take offs that you can use at the track and save you some $$$.

I don't recommend PS Cups for a supercharged car - I tried them.  The rears can get hot and very greasy with your power level.

Buttonwillow is a great place to learn to drive your car and Viper Days is the best venue.  Archer Racing is onsite if you should have car related issues.  They can fix most anything.

If you act quickly, they have a few hartops that they loan to SRT-10 owners at no charge.  You will need one to run if you don't have a roll bar. 

Remember that you are there to learn and you will be very slow compared to other experienced drivers.  If you like driving your car fast (I saw your video), you should give this a try.  You will likely get hooked like I have.

PM me at [email protected] for more info.

Dan

PS  Again, your in CA now.  Don't get caught running those BFG's on the street by the local police or you may get a ticket.

No Rice

I have stock pilot run flats on the front currently on my SSR's. Would it be better to run my 18" SSR's all around with a new set of pilots or is there a better tire I can get in 18's?

So its either a hardtop or rollbar. If I go rollbar, do I get to drive with the top down?

How long is each session and do you think I will have overheating issues? I can currently sit in traffic and my temp never goes above 200. Even in my roll on races when I am really beating the hell out of it, it never goes over 200-205. But that is just for short bursts.

No Rice

Quote from: ViperX on December 22, 2006, 05:39:13 PM

PS  Again, your in CA now.  Don't get caught running those BFG's on the street by the local police or you may get a ticket.

Really.  They are street legal I thought?

ViperX

James,

18-inch SSR's make good track wheels.  Not sure how wide your SSR's are.  If I were you, I'd likely run regular non-run flat Michelin Pilot Sports front and rear.  275 or 285 / 18 fronts and 335 / 18 rears.  The other option is Michelin PS2's.  They are the newer version of the Pilots but may not hold up too well on the rear of your high horsepower Viper.  Also, I think you could buy just two rear rims and keep your BFG's on the other set for the street / drags.

I would strongly recommend that you get a roll bar for your car.  We have many sections of roads here that are twisty and a bit mountainous.  DC can help with the roll bar either custom or Autoform.  Viper days has a few hard tops and will loan you one if you register early.

You can drive with your top down with a roll bar but you'll need five or six point harnesses and arm restraints (no big deal).  It is fun to drive topelss at Buttonwillow.

The sessions are about 20 minutes.  You should have no overheating issues at that time of the year as it will be cool and if you have a problem, you can quit running any time you would like during a session.  You won't be at full throttle much of the time at your power level. 

I don't have any overheating issues with my Paxton SRT as long as I'm moving.

Hope to see you there.

Dan

ViperX

James,

The BFG's are dot tires.  They come with only 5/32nds tread depth when new, aren't conventionally rated and wear very quickly.  They look bald almost immediately.  You likely won't have any problems, but if you get a cop with nothing else to do one day, you could get harrassed - it happens.  We also get harassed some times for having no front license plate.  I keep mine in the trunk with a "stick on" plastic front bracket (from Parts Rack) just in case.

I normally run the Nitto drag radials on the street in my SRT.  They aren't quite as sticky as the BFG's but do last longer and are Z speed rated.  No issues with them and the cops yet .....

Dan

anthony

sheraton booked, coming friday afternoon. anthony matranga

ViperX

Normally, the Viper Days group puts a hold on a bunch of rooms.  Did you check this out Anthony?

Dan 8)

RayMcIntyre

I will see you all there, I signed up for Saturday only.
I have booked a room with Four Points Sheraton Bakersfield with the Viper Days group rate.

Dan, i left you a message on your phone, give me a call.

Ray McIntyre

Texas_Venom

Does anyone know whether or not "spectating" is allowed at the track? I am new to the club and would love to come up and watch... but not interested just yet in racing. I would like to come up and watch as well as meet some of the members. Anyone know if I could come up and watch???

admin

Absolutely OK.  Spectators are always welcome.  FYI: The race group will be qualifying on Saturday and will race on Sunday.  This is a lot of fun to watch.  If you're interested, you can get a room at the host hotel, come up Saturday, join the Viper Days group for dinner Saturday evening and hang out for the race on Sunday.  I have a feeling you won't be a spectator for long... ;D

Texas_Venom

Sounds great. I will check into a room tonight when I get home from work. I am also very interested in participating sometime in this. I just got the car 5 weeks ago so I am still getting used to it. Being that it would be my first time, it also makes me a litle nervous, so I will check it out and see what I am getting into first... then jump in. Thanks for the info and looking forward to seing you guys soon.

Thom