Central Coast, Sept. 2013

Started by viperCFP, October 10, 2013, 10:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viperCFP

Prefacing this post… I don’t get to spend as much time as I’d like with the car or the club members.  When I learned that a friend of mine was planning on having his bachelor party in San Luis Obispo (a bit unconventional, but hey, his choice), I immediately thought, Viper road trip.  What follows is a brief photo journal of the weekend, where I imagined I was sharing the open roads and fun in spirit with other SoCal members and enthusiasts.  Enjoy.

The route was CA-33 (first time) to CA-166 (another first) into Nipomo.  First stop, Wheeler Springs.  Pulled into the dirt for a picture with the country’s smallest post office.  My buddy made the trip with us on his 2002 Yamaha V-Max.  Gotta love the similar design philosophy… stuff a huge V-4 between 2 wheels.  It was so mean, that production spanned 23 years, and would top 150mph with enough room and nerve.  Wheeler Springs has an interesting past too: http://ojaihistory.com/wheeler-hot-springs-new-owners-confront-old-issues/

Snaking up the CA-33.

The “phone booth,” approximately 14 miles up the road from the Ojai Valley Shopping Center, where your cellphone works.  Hat tip, Kala.

At about 5,100 feet before the descent.

Hardly anyone on the roads, with perfect weather the whole way.

The signage says it all!  The red ’94 belongs to my friend, Steve, who made the trip down from Livermore.  Attended grad school together in San Luis Obispo and dreamt about Vipers.  We also share a vivid memory of the drive across to Las Vegas through a freakish rain/hailstorm for the sole reason of renting a ’97 GTS.

Morning parking outside Firestone Grill (downtown).  You must order the tri-tip sandwich here.

Hangover remedy at Louisa’s Place (also downtown).  Our waitress asked if the amount of gravy was to my satisfaction.  Note: there is biscuit still showing.  Unacceptable.

You know you’ve become a family man, when you are considerate of the single guys still asleep back at the hotel, and go for a bottled water and Gatorade run in the sports “utility” car.  Green box for later.

We HAD to stop by the house where Steve (far left) and I lived during grad school.  Lots of great memories.

I managed to invite us into the house and take a tour, including my former room.  I sure don’t remember it having all the amenities.  These kids are seriously on a 4-year vacation.  Time to cease contributions to the college account, and begin deposits to the supercharger fund.

These cars glow in roadtrip dirt and filth.

Atop San Luis Obispo Bay

Snuck in time for action shots before going out at night.

Until next time, farewell Central Coast!
Michael
Instagram: @viperCFP
'96 GTS (2nd caretaker)

PCH VIPER

Thanks for sharing Mike !!
Looks like you guys had a great trip.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

1HOTACR

Looks like a potential run for 2014    ;D
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E