The natives are restless

Started by Sundiego, September 10, 2013, 12:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sundiego

The Socal club is filled with good people and good cars, and will be an asset any national  Viper organization.

viperCFP

At last some great news.

Kala, you're right, at this point it's not worth going over how we got here.  I care about Lance too, but I wouldn't worry about would-be factions.  He's got broad shoulders.

It is ironic that I got an email blast earlier this evening which contained a .pdf attachment of the same correspondence that you pasted to this thread yesterday (the one which begins with The VCA... Moving forward!!).  Not exactly a complementary composition alongside the new letter you pasted below, today.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by being "that member."  If by my questioning, I'm "that member," I'll politely excuse myself.  I think for alot of people, it's more than just a car club.

Quote from: Kala on September 13, 2013, 05:23:42 PM
I posted the email that Dan sent out, I hope it is ok to post the text I just got.

I am doing this in the spirit of communication.

If not please delete and repost, or not as needed...
K

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9/13/2013

To all Viper Club of America members:

Recently, some terrifically unfortunate and significant events have taken place within the Viper Club of America. Many of you have been hearing rumblings with regard to several situations that have now created serious issues and embarrassment for the club. While there is a terrific amount of detail and also a lengthy history to these problems, the unfortunate issues plaguing the VCA have now culminated into some profound negative events taking place. While all specifics are unnecessary to air in this writing, the challenges we are left with have now become insurmountable and recent actions irreversible.

The VCA has indeed been suffering its share of political turmoil for years, much of which has shaped a very strong general distrust toward its national office/officers. While these trust issues have eroded the confidence of the regional members and leadership, even more unsettling events have compounded the issue and publicly validated that distrust. Most recently this year with its newest President, Mr. Stubberfield, his controversial tactics and unconventional leadership style led to an outcry for change in the national office. While his platform promised transparency, reform, involvement, and communication; over the months that ensued much of what has always plagued the club continued: Extensive politics played out as there was no break from past leadership (of which Mr. Stubberfield served as past Treasurer) and allowed their control and negative influence to continue. The club magazine, now two issues behind, was causing member dissatisfaction and also weighed down the club with massive expenses. Regional dues were also delayed as the national office retained funding to ease its own cash flow issues. Problems continued as a poorly executed raffle caused an immense uprising that ensues today and may have significant consequences. Negative publicity relative to Viper Parts of America, its legitimacy, and its CEO continues. The national Secretary and VP pulled away and publicly separated themselves from the activities that were unfolding. Several club regions even began to break away from the VCA, while others threatened the same. All the while, heavy handed censorship continued on the national website forums, disallowing any real news from flowing to members (however many get their news from Viper Garage and Viper Alley).

However, there were even more sentinel events that had occurred in the background. Among them was a complete falling out with our manufacturer early in the year as SRT CEO, Ralph Gilles, attempted to intervene due to the negative publicity the club was causing for the Viper brand. This turmoil was kept secret by the national office, and even from most of its own board members. To the dismay of many, there was even a personal letter sent by one of the national board members to Sergio Marchionne (CEO of Chrysler/Fiat) in an attempt to eliminate Mr. Gilles involvement. Shortly thereafter, another letter (this time anonymous) was sent again to Mr. Marchionne and Chrysler legal - with personal allegations hoping to now personally discredit Mr. Gilles. Sadly, the VCA and Mr. Stubberfield did nothing to impugn the letters or support Mr. Gilles during these personal attacks. The best friend of the club, main Viper-holic, and savior of the Viper brand - was now being attacked because he tried to help fix the club. Chrysler reacted by immediately diffusing the relationship with the VCA and SRT, and implanted a new/unrelated individual from Mopar to act as liaison to the club. Our relationship with the very branch of Chrysler responsible for making our car, SRT, was now changed forever - diminishing one of the deepest values of this club which made it so different from others. However, the new relationship hit an ironic fever pitch when attempts were made by Mr. Stubberfield to publish misrepresentations to the VCA membership relative to the current "rosy" state of that relationship and mutual agreements that were reached. Upon reviewing this letter, Chrysler immediately fired back with a letter contradicting several points of his account. The letters were leaked and went viral, causing a public outcry and another significant push for change began as more evidence of misdirection were clearly proven.

In response to the highly publicized catastrophes, a strong majority of the board of directors had united and began making attempts to unseat Mr. Stubberfield and force change. After multiple unsuccessful requests for him to step down, the board began to use its majority vote to force him from office. When left with no option, Mr. Stubberfield conceded and stated he would resign. Two weeks passed with multiple delays by Mr. Stubberfield to push off his resignation date, but Mr. Stubberfield had a motive...

Finally, on the day he was to send his resignation letter, the most aggressive action in the history of the club was triggered, surprising everyone. Mr. Stubberfield began sending emails, suspending board members (those who opposed him strongly), promoted his treasurer to VP, assigned new board members, and bestowed his presidential powers onto his VP. It was a shocking abuse of his position in an attempt to regain majority control of the board and unseat those who opposed him. Many remaining and influential board members began to resign in disgust. Shortly thereafter, club legal counsel also resigned, separating himself from the aggressive events that had unfolded.

Shortly after executing his plan, Mr. Stubberfield resigned, leaving control again to his "team" which includes his Treasurer and those past leaders behind the scenes who have once again taken control of website/forums and will influence the club. The few innocent who were recently assigned to the board, are completely unaware of what's taken place (and hopefully reading this letter). Their attempts will once again be to make a push to "create new change" under the guise of "saving the club", but with multiple failures, crushing debt, extensive liability, a disgusted membership, regions defecting, key leaders leaving, and a completely decimated relationship with our manufacturer - it leaves few options.

The Future - A New Beginning - Your Call To Action

A historic meeting has just taken place on September 12th, 2013. A live conference call across all national regions took place which included all but 3 US & Canadian regions (almost 40 leaders!). This call discussed the events that have transpired and collectively discussed the future that is unfolding. 90% of the regions on the call stated they wanted to start fresh. It was a historic and celebratory moment.

In an effort to resolve all of the dilemma's, and also recapture those who left the club, a NEW club is being built! We are not the first club to have a major reboot or rebrand - many of the best known car clubs have had their share of scandals and through rebirth have achieved new success. So, for so many reasons, a new club is making its rise - one that will be built upon the spirit which was originally in place in its earliest years. A club built for fun and pride...

Starting Jan 1, 2014, the VIPER OWNERS ASSOCIATION will be born.

Things are moving VERY fast and a group of dedicated leaders (many who were the founding leaders of the original VCA) are working to spearhead the foundation for the new club. The name is pending final agreement, however it seems VIPER OWNERS ASSOCIATION could be likely. Much of what you do regionally is really what's most important, and much of that won't change. The central foundation that we need will be put in place - a website, administration, and a quarterly magazine are all in the plan. However, what we will surely avoid is extensive overhead, big government, processes, politics, and over-reaching control that has existed with the prior club. Building a new club, that focuses on regional control and ownership is the plan. It's uncertain how long, or even if, the national VCA will exist in the near future - but the Viper and regional clubs need to continue with their enjoyment! We know our manufacturer will soon pull us close once again and provide our members support and those special perks that make the club worth it. The website will be up shortly and membership dues collection will begin later this year.

Call to Action - What's Needed From You

How can you help? If you'd like your region to be one of the founding regions of the new VIPER OWNERS ASSOCIATION, you should tell your president that you want to be part of this club!

Spread the news and help educate others. We would like the founding regions to have their positions decided by September 28th.

We've done it before and we'll do it even better this time around. Yes, Viper Club 2.0 is on the way!

Respectfully submitted by these tenured leaders in addition to many supportive regional presidents:

• Maurice Liang
VCA Founding President, VCA NorCal Region Founding President, Past National Secretary, VCA Hall of Fame member, 19 year member
• Steve Ferguson
VCA Co-Founder, Past VCA National VP, Past VCA National Pres, VCA IL Region Founding Pres, VCA Hall of Fame member, 19 year member
• Alex Ristanovic
Current VCA IL Region President, Past National VCA Midwest Director at Large, 19 year member
• Randall Arnold
Past VCA OH Treasurer, Past VCA OH Pres, Past VCA Midwest Zone Director, Past VCA National VP, 12 year member
• Jim Johnson
Current CoUtWy Regional President, VCA SW Zone Director, Past CoUtWy Regional VP, 18 year member
• Adrian Byrd
Past NY/CT VP, Past NY/CT Pres, Past National VCA NE Director at Large, Past VCA NE Zone Director, 11 year member
• Tony Perugini
Current VCA NY/CT Region President, Past VCA NY/CT VP, Past National VCA NE Director at Large, 10 year member
• John Wojnar
Past VCA OH Region VP, Past VCA Ohio President, Past VCA Midwest Zone Director, 14 year member
• Janni Cone
Past Carolinas Region President, Past National Director at Large, 15 year Member
Michael
Instagram: @viperCFP
'96 GTS (2nd caretaker)

PCH VIPER

Dear Southern California Viper Club,
I find myself for the first time in 3 years having to take ownership of the title and address our 200 plus members as such.  I have been honored to serve our Club as President, but have admittedly shrugged off the title to simply just be Lance, proud member of the So Cal Viper Club.   Our region has truly gained National status as one of the greatest regions in Viper Club of America.  Thanks to all of you, our region continues to prosper, operate without premise or politics and we truly enjoy the joys of being a "car club" through fun events and camaraderie.    I cannot express enough how truly proud I am to be part of this family.  Rest assured that the fabric of our So Cal Club is resolute.

Our National Club has unfortunately found itself in some very difficult situations.  I choose not to address specifics at this juncture, as my perspective would not lend me the ability to present verified facts on all sides involved.   It is not my intent to evade the subject, but with such a long list of items that could be debated in endless controversy, I am simply not in a position to accurately address all the points from all perspectives properly in written form.  Add to the fact that the situation is very fluid and changing every day.
The best I can offer at this point is this, each position and opposition has very firm beliefs and wholeheartedly believes in its stance.  Does it make one right or wrong, I do not know.  One thing that there is no denying is the fact that it has had an extremely polarizing effect on many.

We have been thrust into a very difficult position with the recent changes of our National officers and board of directors.  I am profoundly challenged to present our members with the opposing positions and put at risk the respect for one of our very own members, which has been thrust into the unscrupulous limelight.   
As your current So Cal Viper Club President, it is incumbent on me to bear the responsibility to inform you, the members, of your options.

As Dan Everts embarks on the daunting task of putting the Viper Club of America back on track, he is faced with an even more challenging task of facing off with a brand new Club which is forming to offer an alternative to the VCA.

The VCA in its current state has many issues with which it must address.  Failure to adequately address the issues will lead to continued dissent and demise of the VCA.   Unfortunately public opinion is not in the VCA's favor and may ultimately force the VCA into insolvency.  Many of you have received Dan's proposal of Moving Forward with the VCA.  It addresses many of the issues with which the VCA is faced with and offers solutions to them.   It is an aggressive plan and targets many of the perceived problems within the VCA.   
Regardless of this noble plan to repair the damage within the VCA, the opposition has decided to take a different stance.  The opposition is proposing a brand new Club, which is devoid of the perceived problems.

Bottom line is this, with your membership renewal, you have some choices to make.
Renew your membership with the VCA, join the newly formed Club, join both or abstain from both.

As your Club President, I cannot and will not make that decision for you or for our Club  I hope you can appreciate the predicament my position is faced with.   It is one with many different angles and consequences.   Regardless of which Club you choose to align with, I cannot serve and will not serve on both.  The greatest difficulty for me personally is that I will likely step down from official capacity as President of the Southern California Viper Club on December 31st  2013.    I have an undying devotion to our Region and its members, period.    Affiliation with a National Club in either form presents conflicts for me personally that I cannot and will not endure.

Rest assured that I WILL remain active in our local region and will continue to be deeply involved with the events and FUN that our local region has enjoyed since its inception.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

EXHLR8N

Excellent post Lance.  I think you summarized the current situation accurately.

I would urge everyone in our region to give this some time before making any hard decisions or picking sides.  There is a lot of information and miss-information being disseminated.  In time, the real issues and solutions will percolate up.

Fortunately, which ever side ultimately prevails (or compromise), all parties involved in this controversy truly love the car and Club.  VCA is really made up of and is driven by the 3,400 +/- members world-wide that love the car, the technology, the closeness with Chrysler and the fun at their respective chapters .... after all, it is just a car club.  I think at the end of the day, the warriors will remember this and cooler heads will prevail towards a great solution.

That being said, all change is a process and takes time.  Regardless of what happens at a National level, the SoCal car club is strong and will continue.

Keep the faith and try not to get caught up in the "roller coaster" ride.  As cooler heads prevail, a very good solution will arise .... it always does.
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Kala

Quote from: krafters on September 14, 2013, 12:08:53 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by being "that member." 
Krafters, I was trying to make Lance laugh... It usually makes him laugh when I say things like that...

I firmly believe had Nat'l been open to answering questions along with transparency, for the last several years, we wouldn't be at this cross road right now.

Moving forward we all have a lot of questions to ask.

Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

MoparMan

Quote from: Kala on September 14, 2013, 07:03:35 AM
I firmly believe had Nat'l been open to answering questions along with transparency, for the last several years, we wouldn't be at this cross road right now.

Moving forward we all have a lot of questions to ask.

Kala, that's exactly the point: had there been more transparency over the last decade or so we wouldn't be in this fix. Now, sadly, trust has been broken and lost between membership and the national officers and everything will be questioned by the members from here on out who will do it from a standpoint of distrust. The question is, has that distrust so severely infected the club that it is irretrievable?

redtanrt10

Hey Lance,

thanks for the note.  With all the issues and noise going on I'd recommend that you hold some kind of conference call or a meeting with all the local members.

Hate to burden you but I know people want to hear what you think and recommend as well as have an opportunity to ask questions etc.

I'm with you brother on what direction you think is best for SoCal but not everyone has had the opportunity like me to speak to you about the issues and further.

best wishes and thanks for all your hard work!!!

Mike

HyperViper

I just posted " Sad to see the VCA go, but think it is time to hit the reset button" over on VCA forum. My post lasted less than a minute lol.

It is unfortunate that Dan is in the position he is in, but, he knew full well what he was getting himself into when he ran for treasurer and again when he accepted LS appointment to VP and then President of the VCA. Not really sure how the current Pres can appoint another Pres, or maybe once the current Pres steps down, then the VP automatically becomes President.

With the lack of transparency over the last few years, this is more than an uphill battle for the VCA.
Ron & Nora ..San Diego...08 Vert..Black w/ White Stripes

Speedtactics

The SoCal club is one of the strongest regional car clubs in the nation and I'm proud to be part of that in some small way. I will continue working with Lance moving forward if he wants and needs my help. Personally I'm so thankful I have had the opportunity through this great club to meet some great people and make some strong friendships.
Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics

PCH VIPER

Kala, you always make me smile and Thank You for the support.....although at this point in time, I am not the one who needs support. 

I LOVE the fact that you care enough to raise questions and inspire us to look at the issues.
I am also very happy to see discussion of this by our members.  It would take me hours to go tit for tat in this long saga. (Ask Fast Eddie)  I am actually happy to hear you folks say that you are ready to move forward and quit worrying about the past.   It is apparent that at the National level, they are both looking to the future and that is promising.

If you would like to do a conference call or set up a club meeting, I'd be more than happy to set one up.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Kala

Right now, I don't know that anyone's crystal ball can tell what the future will bring. SoCal Viper will always be the great club it has been with or with a Nat'l presence. That much won't change.

Making a choice for which Nat'l club SoCal Viper moves forward with, may have already been decided by the other 36 regions that are currently saying they are going to bail from the VCA.

The VCA can't stand on 4 regions alone. 
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D

HISSSN1

I am very shocked over all of this. To me it all sounds like GREED took over somewhere.  I have made many friends in the SoCal group and that will never change. Being part of the best car club in the world has been a great ride, until now.  I will wait to see how this all unfolds, talk to members in our group to get a better feel how we move forward. I love the VIPER it has taking me places I would have never gone and has made friendships that will last forever. Lance thank you for the great leadership hard work,dedication and with the help of others what the SoCal region has turned into, the BEST of the BEST. 
                                                                                                                                         Eddie Reinsma
2009 ACR VENOM B
2010 ACR-X Chassis #15
2015 HELLCAT CHARGER
2017 ACR E 1 of 1 Viper Detroit Battleship Gray
2019 Hellcat Redeye

Sundiego

VCA has lost the relationship with Chrysler. The BOD has attacked Ralph in writing, and has conflicts of interest with VPA with the Marshalls. The coolest events have involved access to Chrysler facilities, people and cars. Hopefully a new club can restart that.

The sad part is great people like Lance and Maurice have to consider leaving a group they have given massive amounts of work and care.

Kala

This memo was just released from a VCA BOD member in FL

By LadyCruzer

VCA Member
Central North Florida
Regional President
SE Director at Large

"We have been reading what you wrote and we are listening to you! The Board, in furtherance of moving ahead to a more inclusive, tolerant, fun club, that provides a clear pathway for new leadership, has decided to take immediate action to revise the Bylaws to provide, among other things, for: an election process that allows all members to vote for all National Officers; a nomination process that allows any member with one or more years of experience as a Regional Officer or above, with the endorsement of ten VCA members on a simple nomination form, to run for any National Office; setting limitations on what a candidate can do to run for office so that people with more money to spend do not have an unfair advantage; implementing an absolute term limit that prevents a member from rotating around the National Officer or other Board positions; and creating a procedure for the review of VPA activities and the voting of the VCA's 100% stock interest in VPA. We anticipate that this will be accomplished within 30 days. "

1HOTACR

I could say something .  But I feel I've said to much........
BTW can we get the clock on the posts somewhat  current to the time at hand. I posted this at 7:53 p.m. Tuesday.   Yup I'm control freak.  Can't help myself.  Guess that what happens when your self employed.  Long live the So Cal Viper Club.  Cheers!

Glenn
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E