Drive Laguna Seca with Speed Ventures June 29, 30, July 1

Started by ViperX, March 06, 2012, 10:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperX

Hey Gang,

Drive Laguna Seca in beautiful Monterey, CA.  Registration is now open for this event.  Go to: www.speedventures.com to register and for more information.  This event fills up early, so don't delay!

Thinking about driving Friday and Saturday, then spending Sunday with Cathy and the group sightseeing in Monterey.

See you at the track,

Dan  <2

Hotel Info:
Thanks to Maurice's connection at the Intercontinental Hotel, we will get a slightly better rate and VIP status.   Jessika can get us a rate of $225.00 for an inland view room and $315.00 for an ocean view.

Please email Jessika with your name, arrival, departure, parking needs, a credit card to confirm, and any special requests.  She will have the VIP Rooms Coordinator make all of these reservations, and they will be noted with the proper VIP status.  We'll just need to have these reservations made within the next couple of weeks to guarantee the special rate.

Jessika Neufeld-Ortiz,     [email protected]
INTERCONTINENTAL THE CLEMENT MONTEREY
Tel: +1 831 642 2015

750 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA  93940
Tel: +1 831 375 4500  
www.intercontinental.com/montereyic

Driver's list

Dan E
Lance K
Chris P
Scott P
Scott H
Gary G
Ben K

and a bunch of Nor Cal Guys

Speedtactics

I just signed up for Friday and Saturday. Who else is in? I don't want to drive up there on my own.
Hirk
Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics

ViperX

Saturday is filling up fast.

You guys that want to drive  <19 better jump on this.

Dan

kenalker

Always wanted to do Laguna Seca, but I just don't think I'd pass sound check.  I believe I was told there are weekends when they lessen the sound restrictions, but it doesn't look like this is one of them.

PCH VIPER

Hi Everyone !  Hotel info...

Thanks to Maurice's connection at the Intercontinental Hotel, we will get a slightly better rate and VIP status.   Jessika can get us a rate of $225.00 for an inland view room and $315.00 for an ocean view.

Please email Jessika with your name, arrival, departure, parking needs, a credit card to confirm, and any special requests.  She will have the VIP Rooms Coordinator make all of these reservations, and they will be noted with the proper VIP status.  We'll just need to have these reservations made within the next couple of weeks to guarantee the special rate.

Jessika Neufeld-Ortiz,     [email protected]
INTERCONTINENTAL THE CLEMENT MONTEREY
Tel: +1 831 642 2015

750 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA  93940
Tel: +1 831 375 4500  
www.intercontinental.com/montereyic
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Banzai Ben

2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

Speedtactics

Scott Hirko

Speedtactics

What do you mean maybe saturday? You'r already going to be there....
Scott Hirko

Speedtactics

Hate to say it but I jumped ship on the intercontinental hotel. Too much $$. $143 a night for nice king room. Ben and I made reservations at:
Hotel Abrego
755 Abrego Street
Monterey
CA
http://www.hotelabrego.com/html/monterey-accommodations-lodging.asp
In case anyone is still looking for a room, it's a mile from fisherman's wharf.
Scott Hirko

JonathanL

Dan,

I'd really like to attend this as L.S. is one of my favorite tracks. However, I am by definition, a true beginner. The speed ventures event doesn't seem to be beginner friendly.

What would you recommend to me to get started on road courses? Are there any events/tracks that are best for people like me?

I think we need another CCC, but geared around a larger faster course  <2

ViperX

Hey Jonathan,

In this case, running Laguna Seca, you are correct.  This track isn't a very good track for beginners.  There are just too many walls and other areas where you could hit an "immovable object" if you make a mistake.

Speed Ventures is normally very good for beginners as they offer classroom instruction and in car instruction at most of their events.

I'd recommend you try any of their Buttonwillow Events or their Willow Springs Events as both tracks can be very good learning tracks.

Also, Auto Club Speedway Fontana isn't a bad learning track if one has enough self control to limit their speed and aggressiveness.

One of the best ways to get started is Auto Cross.  Another good way to get started is to come out to one of our track events and "ride along" with one of our more experienced guys.  This will give you a flavor for the sport.

Unfortunately, for most of us, Laguna Seca will be the last event we run until the fall as the summer temps on the local race tracks can be quite high and unbearable to most in addition to being hard on our cars.

Another option is to attend the West Coast Racing event usually held in October at Willow Springs.  We normally have a good showing of Vipers, beginners are welcome and instruction is available and free.  We have quite a few very good drivers in our group who will be glad to help get you ready for the track.

Spring Mountain runs a pretty good driving school as does Bondurant.  The SRT Track Experience is pretty good for beginners.

Keep an eye on this board as I'll post upcoming track events.

In the meantime, try to find some books and read up on road racing.

See you at the track,

Dan  <2

Speedtactics

Great weekend! The only problem is Laguna is to far away. The drive back sucked big time. The track was awesome and it was great to hang with friends all weekend. My wife actually did a entire track session in the passenger seat 25 mins. And we are still married!  >g
Here are a few pics from the weekend. I will send an email link to a few guys so they can download.

Scott Hirko

1HOTACR

Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

EXHLR8N

The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Speedtactics

I got flagged once. I was WFO between turns 5-6 winding out in third gear. I pulled a 94db and the limit is 92db.
The rest of the time I shifted at 4 thousand RPM into fourth gear and it passed fine. My foot got a little lighter in that area for sure.
Scott Hirko