Main Menu

What do I need for track events?

Started by Jay M, October 28, 2011, 02:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay M

I have a 2004 Convertible. I'm looking for fun, not competition.

I assume I need a helmet on almost any track, but...

Do I need tow hooks?
Do I need a racing suit?
Do I need racing shoes?
Do I need racing Gloves?

Should I have those things even if they are not required?

I can't afford to make it a big hobby, but I think once or twice a year would be good.  I can't afford to abuse the car too much, but I think occasionally it does need to be driven properly!

thanks,
~Jay
2004 Convertible, Red, custom tan interior

ViperX

Hi Jay,

Glad you are interested.  The best thing you can do is come out to the track with our Sidewinder group, hang out with us, ask a bunch of questions and watch us run.  We have some very good drivers in our group and all of us will be glad to help get you started.  The track is not for everybody but everybody should at least give it a try.

I'd recommend the following items for your first trip to the track.

First, you will need a Helmet.  For your first helmet, I'd recommend and "open face" type.  You'll want a "Snell 2010" rated version and really should try it on before your buy it as fit is important.  Every track will require a current, rated helmet.  You can get a good helmet for about $300 or less and it should last you about 10 years.  Make sure you have eye protection with an open faced helmet.  I wear Oakley polarized sun glasses with impact resistant lenses that wrap the eyes pretty well when wearing an open faced helmet.

Most tracks require only 3 point seat belts in the novice groups, so you are OK there.

With a convertible, some tracks will want a roll bar, but again, most will let you run in the novice group without a roll bar.  Check with the track before you go.  As an aside, you and everybody else driving Viper convertibles should have a proper roll bar installed.

You should have a fire extinguisher in your car.  You can pick these up from Jon B at Parts Rack or others.  The Viper fire bottle kit comes with a bracket that mounts to the two front seat bolts on the passenger side of the car and is pretty much out of the passengers way.  Having a fire bottle in the car "all of the time" is a very good idea for the street too, so think about getting one.  You can easily install this yourself.

You will want a tow point on at least the front of your car.  These are available from Jon B as well.  These can come in very handy on the street as it makes it easier to get you car up onto a flat bed if you have an issue on the street.  Flat tires are common and many of our cars now have no spare or run flats.

Clothing-wise, most tracks don't require fire suits, fire gloves or fire shoes in the novice group, but some do.  Check with them before spending your $$$$.  Most track outfits want you to wear long cotton pants, a long sleeve cotton shirt and closed toe shoes with cotton socks.  

I would recommend you get a good pair of driving shoes for the street that will work fine at the track for a beginner.  I like the Puma driving shoes.  If you have size 10 and above feet and aren't really careful, you can get both the brake and the gas at the same time during heavy braking.  You don't want to do this more than a couple of times!

Make sure all of your fluids are fresh and topped up before you go to the track.  Oil and brake fluid are the two most critical fluids.  Your tires should be in good condition, i.e. less than 5 years old minimum and preferably less than 3 years old.

Brake pads should have 50% or more of the original pad thickness remaining, rotors should be within spec and your cooling system should be in good condition.  Bring an extra quart of oil to the track with you as you may need it over the course of a weekend's driving.

On a personal note, know that you are going to the track for fun and treat it that way, i.e. don't try to go too fast or over drive the car during the first year or two of tracking your car and you will have fun.

If it will be your fist time to the track, GET AN INSTRUCTOR TO RIDE WITH YOU.  Instruction for novice drivers is available at almost every track event I've been to in the last 7 years.  This will get you started in the right direction at the track and greatly improve your driving skills.

Most of our track guys go out to have fun just like you mention.  While I am prejudiced a bit, I think we have a great group of track guys who drive at all levels from novice to intermediate to advanced and we have a few racers too.

Vipers do very well at the track and are very durable when properly maintained.  They do respond best to gentle inputs and driving your Viper at the track will really help you develop that skill.

See you at the track,

Dan  <2

Speedtactics

Dan,
You forgot to tell him he needs as the formula one guys say "a big set of attachments!"
>w
Hirk
Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics

PCH VIPER

Hey Jay,
Check out the special deal we just set up with DC Performance on his Dyno Day     >v

http://socalviper.com/forum/index.php?topic=1291.0
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

kenalker

Jay,

On your list (and Dan's), the only two things I had when I did my first event about three years ago was a helmet (which was probably not an approved one, and might have even been a motorcycle helmet - but they let me use it - I got lucky), and driving shoes.  I have accidentally hit the gas when trying to brake while driving around town, and it scared me so badly that my wife bought me driving shoes, which I wore (for a while) even when driving around town!  If you are on a budget, you can probably find some sneakers that will work, but they've got to have narrow soles (not soles that stick out as wide as the body of the shoe).  My wife found some for herself, so maybe they can only be found in women's sizes (dunno).

All the other things mentioned are things you should get over time, and would be ideal for your first time out, but don't let those scare you off (except maybe the roll bar - I'm in a coupe, so that wasn't something I was thinking about).  I still don't wear gloves and it doesn't seem to be a problem (for me).

It might also be handy to bring an air pressure gauge, a watch (carrying a cell phone around can be a drag), a collapsing chair, and some blue painters tape to protect your car (although, don't get too carried away, especially if you aren't overly concerned).

Keep in mind that every track event will have slightly different requirements so be sure that, at a minimum, you've got what the event host requires you to have (anything extra just makes it safer).  If you have further questions, feel free to email me or call; I've made some lists and have gotten lots of input from other members and would love to return the favor and share.

Ken

Speedtactics

Jay,
Piloti make a great line of driving shoes that can be worn 24-7
www.piloti.com
http://www.piloti.com/Footwear-C9.aspx
Hirk
Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics

Jay M

It just occurred to me that I never thanked you guys for the long and helpful replies.  I have been digesting it all and do plan to attend one of these events soon.

I'm really looking forward to the autocross that was mentioned at the Christmas party.  I'll work my way up to a real track.  I love driving the Viper.  It's a true drivers car.

thanks again!

~Jay
2004 Convertible, Red, custom tan interior