Main Menu

AROUND SPRING MTN. VIDEO

Started by admin, October 31, 2010, 02:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Hey Guys,

Check out this video of Spring Mountain taken Sunday, Oct 24, 2010 at Viper Days.

It's short; I only ran a couple of laps before having brake issues then decided to cool the car down and come in.

Dan

redtanrt10

Dan,

thanks , good to look at your lines. I see the way Ben and you both take the 2nd bus-stop for example.  also, I run the 2nd bus stop in 2nd but you're in 3rd.

The video seems like your're going slow but I know you're not.  thanks again!

Mike

ViperX

Hey Mike,

Second gear worked OK coming out of that twisty section onto the front straight, I tried it both ways.  This was the third session on Sunday and I was getting tired, then had brake issues.  I should have installed new pads and bled the brakes before getting to the track.  I thought they'd be OK but this track is just too twisty and slow without fresher brakes.

I set my lap timer's "start / finish" line at the front of the back straight.  That first warm up lap was 2:46 according to my lap timer which included passing a few slower cars.

Dan

Banzai Ben

Cool video Dan! Smooth and fast! I like the engine sound, the sound on my video is terrible.
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

Curt Moore

Quote from: ViperX on October 31, 2010, 02:50:16 PM
Hey Mike,

Second gear worked OK coming out of that twisty section onto the front straight, I tried it both ways.  This was the third session on Sunday and I was getting tired, then had brake issues.  I should have installed new pads and bled the brakes before getting to the track.  I thought they'd be OK but this track is just too twisty and slow without fresher brakes.

I set my lap timer's "start / finish" line at the front of the back straight.  That first warm up lap was 2:46 according to my lap timer which included passing a few slower cars.

Dan

Thats OK Dan, Rookie mistake with the brake issue. Most don't realize the weight of the Viper versus other cars. I'm sure this won't happen again after losing the brakes...Enjoy.....

ViperX

Quote from: Curt Moore on November 03, 2010, 05:44:06 PM
Thats OK Dan, Rookie mistake with the brake issue. Most don't realize the weight of the Viper versus other cars. I'm sure this won't happen again after losing the brakes...Enjoy.....

Hey Curt,

Didn't loose the brakes at Spring Mountain, they were just tired.  The race pads had about 5 weekend track events on them and the Motul racing brake fluid had only one weekend.  I had hoped they would remain effective one more track weekend.  They were OK on Friday, so / so on Saturday, then on Sunday afternoon, after taking passengers the first two sessions, they just wouldn't haul the car down from speed during session #3 as effectively as they did when they were new. 

I replaced them last weekend with about 50% pad remaining.  Bled them and found air bubbles in the left front caliper, likely from the 97F heat I ran in at Buttonwillow several weekends before.  Some condensation must have gotten into the brake fluid and boiled it.  Buttonwillow can be hard on brakes in a fast, heavy car like a Viper.  I did run a bunch of laps under 2:00 minutes in the heat though, so felt good about that.

Looking forward to running ACS Fontana Nov 19 and 20.  Come out if you can.

Dan