Main Menu

Laguna Seca 92db

Started by Pete, July 12, 2010, 06:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Ran my stock 08 ACR at Laguna Seca on Saturday with Speedventures. Went all 4 25 minute sessions without getting black flagged for noise. Had a wonderfull time. Laguna was on my bucket list for sure.

Interestingly the only other Viper there was a gen 4 with modified exhaust. He ran the first 2 sessions OK by short shifting between turns 5 and 6. They nailed him immediately when he got on it just once in the 3rd session.
He was black flagged in the next corner. They have a 3 strike policy so you'll at least get a few laps in no matter what.

I noticed that the only permanent structure at the whole track was that noise building. It's not going away. When I got home I cranked up my stock gen 3. It definitely has more of a rumble at idle than the gen 4. Don't know if it would pass.

PCH VIPER

I'm so jealous !   
Did you get close to the lap record?

Some day I'd like to run Laguna as well. 
Luckily I still have my stock exhaust.  Maybe we can get a bunch of guys together and head up for some quiet fun.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

EXHLR8N

I had the same problem, so I have been running my MINI there.  The track is a must for your "bucket" list .... kind of like being a golfer and getting to play Augusta.

Speed Ventures I believe runs an event there a couple of times each year.  I think I did both times with them.

David Green runs there a lot with his Neon.  I would contact him for the next track day.  He will show the ropes.

By the way, how about Sears Point (Infineon) as another "bucket" lister?
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Banzai Ben

So anything but stock exhaust is too loud with the Vipers? That's a bummer, I wanted to run there too some day.
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

DavidSB

David here,
Laguna is a must. There are lots of reasons why it is so famous and worth giving it a try. Last time I was there with Speedventures, a few stock-exhaust Gen III's from No. Cal showed up and ran without any problems. I was told - but can't confirm - that Gen II's with stock rear exhaust are even better since the exhaust pulse is not aimed directly at the noise sensing station. Please let me know anytime anyone wants to go. We can meet up at my house here in Santa Barbara and caravan up. It's about 4 hours from Santa Barbara. We found a good, inexpensive hotel in Marina to stay about 15 minutes from the track.

ViperX

Hey Bruce,

If we could put together a group, Infineon could be fun, so could Thunder Hill.

I'd love to run Laguna Seca as well but won't take off the headers and exhaust to run it. 

As I recall, Manny Coats told me he have found some special exhaust "turn down" pipes that slipped over a stock exhaust pipe and allowed modded Vipers to pass sound, but you still had to lift.

Glad you had fun Pete.

Most modified Vipers, even just with a Corsa Track Exhaust, run about 100 db at WOT, so would not pass sound restrictions with a side exhaust.

My input to the Dodge Boys for the next  Gen Viper is to go back to rear exit exhaust.

Dan

EXHLR8N

Hey Dan - I think Speedventures goes to Infineon as well.  Maybe we can put together a Sidewinder trip in November?  Or maybe early next year?
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Scottp

Chris and Mike ran last weekend too and were both black flagged twice in there cars.  Chris's Shelby KR was 95.5 db and Mike's GT3 was 97db.  They both said there was no questions asked if you were over the 92 db level.

Not sure most Viper's would make the cut. 

I'd be up for a trip to one of the tracks up north for sure.

ScottP