Racing Helmet Opinion

Started by 1HOTACR, August 25, 2009, 06:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1HOTACR

Time to buy a new helmet.   Years gone  past I've always had open face until the A T V  time came in our
family where we now use full face.  Personally I think full face looks cooler but have they really improved the ventilation and side sight for auto racing?  I am more into comfy now.  And you all know I'm already  the coolest!!  Ha! Ha! What is the general consensus ?

Thanks,  Glenn................

P.S.   Don't forget the Ventura Run  September 12th   <1
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

ViperX

Hey Glenn,

I have one of each and wear the open face helmet most of the time.  I always wear polarized driving glasses with the open face helmet, as debris can and does manage to get into my face once in a while on the track, even in a coupe.

The benefit of buying a closed face helmet is that you can raise, tint or even remove the visor if you'd like.  This way, if you ever do a driving school or ride in an open car, you'll be protected.

I'd also recommend that you try them on before you buy as sizes are not always consistent from one maker to another.  The fit should be snug (should compress your cheeks a bit) but not tight.

Finally, in a car, you want a "Snell" rated helmet, i.e. fire rated, not a motorcycle helmet.

See you at the track,

Dan  <2

1HOTACR

Thanks for the info.  Where can you try on auto Racing helmets?  All I can find is more or less is Saferacer on line.
Glenn
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

Super Villain

Hi Glenn,

I have always been a fan of the Simpson Helmets.  Kind of far from you, but their Harbor City location has always been real good with helping you try on different helmets and helping you get the right fit.

Simpson World West
1405 West 240th Street
Harbor City, CA 90710
Email:  [email protected]
Toll Free 800-929-7223
Phone 310-539-2266
Fax 310-325-7967
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM till 5:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday - Closed

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Just don't get a motorcycle helmet...different standards.

Hope this helps.

Anhtuan
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

ViperX

Cragin may know of a shop your way.

I use Sube Sports in Huntington Beach, CA.  Owner, Chad, is a car guy and an ex-pro racer, very knowledgeable with a good stock of everything as you will want to add driving gloves and driving shoes (both Nomex) at some point.

www.subesports.com

Dan  <2

1HOTACR

Thanks both for the info. 

If I wanted a motorcycle helmet I would just ware one of the ones I own with my chest protector , leathers
and boots.

Glenn               >1
Glenn
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

EXHLR8N

Hey Glen - I can vouch for Simpson.  Reasonably priced, etc.

The motorcycle helmets don't work, since they don't have Nomex.  I think Viper Days allowed me to wear my Arai the first track days, but made me switch after that.  Each group has their rules.

The other thing that I now wear and like is a Hahns device.  Good investment.
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Kala

Quote from: 1HOTV10 on September 02, 2009, 06:59:20 PM

If I wanted a motorcycle helmet I would just ware one of the ones I own with my chest protector , leathers
and boots.

Glenn              

Post em up Glennie... Inquiring minds want to know
Corsa Track exhaust, Lightweight Flywheel, Green Filters, EBC Red Pads, AB's 1200 degree wires (Blue) SVS Shifter, MGW Gripper shift knob, Color Matched Console, MGW trim rings, Racelogic & Dave's Underdrive Pulley going on soon :D