Paint or powder coat?

Started by ticketmered, May 03, 2009, 07:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ticketmered

Hello everyone,

I have decided to add a few things to my car to help me on the track; APS wing, air splitter and canards. Along with that I plan on doing some cosmetic stuff; one of them is the wheels. After putting polished wheels on a previous car I swore I would never do that again, so here I am again with polished wheels. I am thinking of powder coating them a flat black or gun metal or same colors in paint. Anyone know what are the cons of powder coating? Does this process weaken the wheel; I plan on going fast  <m and would like my wheels to stay on.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

ViperX

Hey Carlos,

Best bet is to pick up a set of "track wheels".  SSR comps in black are very light, strong and work very well.  They are reasonably priced too.  These are painted satin black.  Call Jon B for more info.

If you are referring to painting or powder coating your OE wheels, either way should be fine.  OE wheels tend to be very heavy for track use though (unless you have a set of sidewinders).

See you at the track,

Dan   <2

ticketmered

Dan,

I did see the wheels on the Partsrack web site. I was looking at low cost alternatives in the meantime  but will look it as see where it fits in my budget.