Clearance SA2010 or new SA2015 helmet?

Started by maddog2424, September 18, 2015, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog2424

Hey everyone,

My original plan was to wait for the new SA2015 helmets, but now that all the SA2010 helmets are on clearance, i'm starting to consider that as well to save a few bucks... 

background:  I am just getting into track days and will be buying my first helmet.

Is getting a SA2010 helmet worth the 25% off compared to the new SA2015 helmets considering that i'd have to get a new helmet in 5 years?  What do you guys think? The real question on my mind is if I get into track days, will I want to buy a new or better helmet in 5 years anyway?    I'm planning on getting a Bell helmet around 400-500 dollars. 

Dan
Dan

1997 B/W Viper GTS

PCH VIPER

Hi Dan,
You will be perfectly fine with the SA2010 and will save money since they will be trying to clear inventory of them.   You are supposed to replace the helmet every 5 years and will probably want to since the interior padding will get pretty gross and will start to break down.

The longer you wait, the harder it will be to find the helmet you want in the correct size since inventory will quickly diminish with the discounts.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Ted

There is also a distinction between the Rating year (SA2010) and the year manufactured (sometime in 2015 for your helmet). Realistically, most clubs you run in will not require newer than SA2010 in 5 years for a helmet manufactured in 2015.  NOTE: this is not a guarantee as I only know the current requirements of some of the HPDE groups and those are always subject to change.

I was in the same boat in May of this year and opted not to wait and purchased a SA2010 made about a week after my order.

Good luck with your choice.

maddog2424

Thanks, ended up buying a sa2010.  Thanks for the advice!
Dan

1997 B/W Viper GTS