Looking at putting the Nitto NT05r on my Viper...

Started by Derek, August 01, 2012, 02:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

Wanted to see if anyone on here can commet about these tires and how they do on a Viper.

I mostly see people taking about the PS2's and the Super Sports.

Kinda woundering why no1 has the nitto nt05r on their viper.
Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ViperX

Derek,

The NT05R's are very sticky.  I have a very slightly used set of two rears in storage.  I will likely never use them again on the street, unless the club takes a trip to the drags.  They give great grip in a straight line.  So much so, that I broke the transmission in my Paxton car while simply accelerating in 2nd gear.  These are great drag strip tires and you could drive to and from the drags with them if you are careful.

At speed or in any kind of turns, the sidewalls are a bit soft, making the car roll much more than normal and feel a bit uncomfortable to me and others I've talked with.

I've tried a bunch of tires in the past few years on various Vipers and found that the Hosier A6 works best all around for grip and handling in the dry on the back of the higher horsepower Vipers.  They are not useful in the wet.

The PS2 C1, which is OE on the Gen IV Vipers is a very good all around choice for most Vipers.

Nitto makes another drag radial that works pretty well on the rear, I've run 2 sets of these now.  It's called the NT555R.  Here's the link: http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt555r   

This one has good straight line grip but also handles well.  They don't make it in a 19-inch size though.

Good luck,

Dan  <2

Derek

Thanks for the info Dan.

I am looking for some new tires for my GTS with the Paxton. I don't want to risk missing up or breaking the tranny or anything. I just want something with some good grip and also good handling as I will be driving it to events and what not. The run flats I currently have don't do the job and I need something that will hook up when I get on it. The new convertible me and my dad just picked up has the new super sports on it and I'm thinking about swapping wheels on the 2 vipers for a few weeks and see how I like the super sports on the GTS.

Thanks again for the info.

1HOTACR

Quote from: Derek on August 01, 2012, 02:26:55 PM
Wanted to see if anyone on here can commet about these tires and how they do on a Viper.

I mostly see people taking about the PS2's and the Super Sports.

Kinda woundering why no1 has the nitto nt05r on their viper.
Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Derek
   If you want Nitto tires go with the Invo.  You will save about $500 bucks on a set to the Michelins.
   I have the Invos on our Vert.  A great street tire. If you want to play Speed Racer then get some
   Hoosier A6s.  DOT approved .  Multiple sets of tires and wheels is the way to go.   Viper fun ain't cheep.
   If you want a tire you can track or?  Go with the Michelins  <1

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/invo

Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

ViperX

Quote from: Derek on August 01, 2012, 04:13:59 PM
Thanks for the info Dan.

I am looking for some new tires for my GTS with the Paxton. I don't want to risk missing up or breaking the tranny or anything. I just want something with some good grip and also good handling as I will be driving it to events and what not. The run flats I currently have don't do the job and I need something that will hook up when I get on it. The new convertible me and my dad just picked up has the new super sports on it and I'm thinking about swapping wheels on the 2 vipers for a few weeks and see how I like the super sports on the GTS.

Thanks again for the info.

Derek,

Swapping the rears is a good idea.  Old run flats are dangerous on "normal" Vipers, very dangerous on supercharged cars.

FYI, while the Pilot Super Sports are much "stickier" than the run flats, the OE SRT Viper C1 designation rear tires are stickier than the Pilot Super Sports. 

Also, for the GTS, you would be much better off buying new tires that are the correct height for the GTS.  While you would be much better off running 18 inch wheels all around, you can still run 19's on the back of the GTS but tire height should match the OE GTS tire height of about 25.6 - 26 inches. 

FYI, the OE SRT rear tire height varies from 27.2 to 27.4 inches, which raises the rear roll height of the car and adversely affects handling.

Good luck,

Dan  <2

Speedtactics

Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics