My write up on a Catch Can for keeping oil out of the intake

Started by Super Villain, April 22, 2010, 02:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1HOTACR

Quick thought.  What about drilling and tapping out the input and exit and install a threaded 5/8" barb fitting?

>m What do ya think Lance?
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

Super Villain

Drilling and tapping the can for a 5/8" barb fitting would work if you have the tools, patient, and skill to pull it off.
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

PCH VIPER

Quote from: 1HOTV10 on May 17, 2010, 07:08:54 PM

Quick thought.  What about drilling and tapping out the input and exit and install a threaded 5/8" barb fitting?

>m What do ya think Lance?

That's what I'm planning to do.
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

PCH VIPER

My catch can has been installed for almost a week now, but I  have been so busy I haven't even started the car up.

I finally got the chance to get the car out for a quick ride around the block, came home and with the engine still running, opened up the hood.  The 5/8 rubber hose line between the catch can and the PCV valve was completely collapsed.  Luckily I still had left overs of some stiffer 5/8 hose and switched it out.  No more collapsed line.

The flexible 5/8 hose is too soft.  I bought a hose that had the 90 degree turn pre-formed in it and it is much stiffer.

Super Villain

I used heater hose which is quite thick and reinforced.  So far no problems on the Gen 3.  But good thing bringing this to attention as everybody should double check their installs.
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

Ted

Great photos and write-up!

I would like to add a catch-can to my 2008 coupe.  I too saw the "sold out" designation on the website.

1HOTACR

Thanks Anhtuan!    After a lot of  work and frustration plus trips to the speed shop for fittings I'm finished!
  And also thanks to Lance for the use of your milling machine to drill and tap out the can to 1/2" pipe size <1
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

Super Villain

ViperX

OK, so now that a bunch of you guys have catch cans, don't forget to check them regularly as they will accumulate oil.

ONE of our guys, who will remain nameless, didn't check his.  It filled up and blew oil all over his engine compartment!

See you at the track,

Dan

PCH VIPER

>m
Not sure who that was.....
The upside to the "closed" catch can system that the Gen 3/4 cars are getting is that they will fill up and THEN start getting into the intake manifold.

The "breather" catch can system is definitely prone to filling up and ending up all over the motor as well as everything else.  Quite the mess to have to clean up........so I hear.... <F

ViperX

Hey Lance,

Wasn't going to tell on you ..... was actually referring to "Rev".  He "made his big mess" at the track last year.  When I asked him if he'd checked it lately, he said, Uhhhhhhhh, no!

FYI, on the Gen IV breather system I put installed on my 09 ACR - I haven't had to empty it since I installed it - after about a dozen driving events.

It works much better than the older breather systems installed on the Gen II cars.

Dan

Speedtactics

Just an update on this. I wanted to show everyone why we need catch cans on Vipers if you start to drive hard and do track events. This is two days at Laguna Seca and the can is more than half full.

Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics

Derek

Been thinking about getting a oil catch can here and there and after reading this thread I think it's now a must do!
I plan to get one for both my GTS which has a paxton on it and the 05' viper which is mostly stock.
I'm looking for some input from you more experienced guys.

I'm also going to make a thread on the vca forum.

What I'm looking for is a nice clean legit set up. Don't want some cheapy half ass set up on my car.

Thanks!

ViperX

A catch can is a must for a supercharged car and a car that spends any time on the track.

All Generation Vipers suck oil into the intake track.

Good decision Derek.

Dan  <2

Speedtactics

=16
Quote from: Derek on August 25, 2012, 09:06:15 AM
Been thinking about getting a oil catch can here and there and after reading this thread I think it's now a must do!
I plan to get one for both my GTS which has a paxton on it and the 05' viper which is mostly stock.
I'm looking for some input from you more experienced guys.

I'm also going to make a thread on the vca forum.

What I'm looking for is a nice clean legit set up. Don't want some cheapy half ass set up on my car.

Thanks!
Dereck,
Come out to the condor run on the 9th and we can discuss a catch can set up for you. I did one on my GTS when I had it and just did one on my srt10 recently. Super villain knows what he is talking about and would also be happy to help you out. Dan, Lance myself and others have done this and Cahill you through the process.
Scott Hirko
2016 Viper GT with TA 2.0 package and APR carbon aero package.
2014 GTS track pack with TA 1.0 carbon aero package.
www.speedtactics.com www.facebook.com/speedtactics