Suspension concerns

Started by ticketmered, August 24, 2008, 03:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ticketmered

Hello everyone,

I have had my Viper since May of this year. When I bough tmy car I was told it had been lowered. Not knowing exactly what was done to lower it; springs, shocks, coilovers, I need to know what to look for if I take a wheel out. The ride is o.k. as long as the rod is smooth, if there are any dips, uneven road the car bottoms out at times. Looking for any suggestions, tips, to solve this. My goal is to get back to stock ride as possible.

Thanks,

Carlos

ViperX

Hey Carlos,

First, someone with knowledge of Vipers will need to take a look at your suspension.  Based upon where you live, I'd call Todd Abrams at A/C Performance and have him do a quick inspection.  A/C is an advertiser of ours, so check our vendor section or your current magazine for their contact info.  Tell him I sent you.

If you'd like to pull a tire and check it out yourself, there are many suspension options and lowering options.  I couldn't discuss them all in a short reply.  Here are some thoughts:

1 - It is likely that your car has been lowered too much (very common) and has too low of a spring rate for the current ride height.  In short, if you can't fit at least three fingers between the top of your rear tires and the bottom of you rear fender lip, you don't have enough clearance.  At the front, it's two fingers.  A little more is better.

2 - If you have aftermarket Eibach springs (painted red with Eibach printed on them), the spring rate will be painted onto the springs.  It will look like this:  "0800.225.750".  The first number on the springs will be the spring length, usually 0800 for 8 inches, the second number is the inside diameter = 2.25 inches, the third number is the spring rate in inch pounds.  It should be at least 750, 800 would be better.  Front springs should be at least 500.

3 - You may also have one of a couple of brands of aftermarket shocks.  Motons are very popular, KW's are poplular too.  Moton Club Sports offer adjustments for both compression (down) and rebound (up) forces.  KW's vary by type and some offer both, some offer just rebound adjustment.  These adjustments can significantly alter ride and handling qualities, including bottoming.

4 - There are lowering caps that can be attached to stock springs.  The stock springs are blue and made by Dynamic on an SRT.  I don't know of any cars with stock springs and lowering caps that bottom.

5 - Tire size can also affect bottoming along with rim offset.  If you have stock tires and rims, you should be OK.  If not, that can be another issue.

Hope this helps.

Off to VOI 10,

Dan  <2

ticketmered

Hello everyone,

Had the car checked today and I was told my car has Hypercoils coil-overs. Looked at their website and for what I can see this is a set up used for racing of some sorts.  Does anyone know anything else from what I have found? I also looked on the same web site for parts specific to the viper but that is not how the web site is set up. I will call them tomorrow and find out more. Any help will be appreciated.

ViperX

Hypercoils are springs.  Do you know the spring rates?

Do you know which shocks you have?

Sounds like you have the standard KW set up with with Hypercoils.  The standard KW shock / spring kit has very soft springs.  You may want to increase the spring rate.

Another one of our members has this issue too.

If you plan to make the San Diego run next weekend, we can take a look at your car for you.

Again, take it to Todd at A/C.  He'll check it out for you.

Dan