Trakk Tape - the good and the bad

Started by Jay M, January 19, 2015, 10:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay M

A lot of people asked about the Trakk Tape I had on my car at Viper Tracks.  It looked really ugly, but did it protect the paint?

The good news is that the paint looked exactly as it did just before I applied the tape.

The bad news, and it is REALLY bad news, is that it ruined my headlights.  When I pulled the tape off the headlights it pulled the protective coating off with it.

At first I though the tape had just left some residue, but after a closer look I saw that it was indeed the protective UV coating that came off with the tape.

I've attached a picture so you can see the damaged area.

Before the plastic lens turns yellow I need to find the best way or place to restore the UV coating.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks,
~Jay

2004 Convertible, Red, custom tan interior

PCH VIPER

That is NOT good   :(
Have you called the guys at TrakK Tape?
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Jay M

A couple weeks ago I had Eddie R. re-coat the headlights and they look nearly as good as new.  Thanks Eddie!

Today, out the the blue, I got an Email from David Christian who sold me the TrakkTape.  He heard about this problem on my car and wanted to talk to me about it.  I just got off the phone with him and he was very concerned and deeply apologetic.  He even offered a full refund.  Thanks to David for trying to make good on a bad outcome for me.  He did say that I'm the only one who has had this problem, but he will warn others of this potential issue.

~Jay

Jay M

David wanted to post a reply, but I think our site is for members only to post.  I'll go ahead and paste in what he wanted to post himself.

"I was truly saddened to hear about Jay's experience with TrakkTape damaging the UV coating on his 2004 Viper headlights. Apparently, there was another occurrence on an earlier car that happened, as well. I have been both selling TrakkTape and using it personally for about seven years now and, thankfully, have had many satisfied and repeat customers, while having virtually no negative reports on its use. I had one or two reports of residue remaining, but that now seems to be tied to using it in wet conditions for relatively long periods. Isopropyl alcohol seems to remove it, by the way. But this is the first instance, of which I am aware, of a factory finish being damaged. My intention in selling TrakkTape it to help people who love there cars as much as I love mine, keep them looking great while allowing us to use them as the manufacturer intended. So, I really hate to hear that damage was caused instead of protection. I have talked with Jay to express my concern and immediately refunded his payment with the hope that he will at least use the remaining tape to protect his Viper's paint. I don't have a formal policy on refunds or returns, but I'd rather try to do whatever I can to try to make it right, instead of being concerned about a profit. This is a little sideline business for me and any profits actually just go to help keep my Lotus Elise on track and happy. I would like to express my thanks for those of you who have used TrakkTape in the past without issues. Now, I would have to recommend that it not be used on Viper headlights, regardless of year. I have not encountered problems with the UV on other makes (so far!), but suspect Viper will have used the same supplier for all their headlights. It is possible that a fresh coat of paste wax might help, but I have no proof of that and why take a chance?In closing, I would like to make a standing offer to anyone in SoCalVipers (or any Viper owner reading this post) that if anyone would like to still try TrakkTape for paint protection, I will offer the 6" x 600' roll for $110 plus shipping. This is not shown on any web site. Normal price is $145 and my normal Racers Net price is $120. Just contact me at [email protected] to order. I will also be adding this issue to my instructions and web site. I normally email everyone who places an order to ask what they drive and will be able to caution them as well. Thanks again and have fun on track!David ChristianTrakkTape"