My write up on a Catch Can for keeping oil out of the intake

Started by Super Villain, April 22, 2010, 02:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banzai Ben

Hey Dan E., Is your catch can set up much different than Anhtuan's?
I know you've been using them on both your track cars.
Thanks,
Ben
2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

ViperX

Hey Ben,

Yes, different, but not necessarily better.  I removed the vacuum from my catch can.  I want all the vacuum I can get pulling air into my engine and assisting with the power brakes.  Also, I run bigger inside diameter hoses as it's a track car.  I think Anhtuan's set up is better for the street. 

On the plus side, I don't get much "gunk" or oil in my catch can; I do get a little bit of water vapor.  For example, I don't have as much oil / gunk / water vapor in my catch can after 25 track days and 4,000 street miles as Anhtuan had in his catch can after one afternoon on the street.  Bottom line is that when you remove the vacuum, you won't have to empty the catch can very often. 

On the negative side, if you run a catch can the way that I have set mine up, you remove the vacuum from the crankcase.  Some folks don't like to do this and think vacuum helps rings seal and make more power......and I agree if the engine is new, i.e. less than a couple thousand miles.  After that, I think the rings are sealed just fine and if they aren't, no amount of vacuum is going to help.....and making 1 or 2 more hp probably won't make me any faster.

I ran this same type of set up on my GTS for 3 years (mostly track) and it worked very well.

Dan

PS  Lance and I need to get with you on the HANS set up soon.

EXHLR8N

Unfortunately Anhtuan's catch-can source no longer has any inventory and couldn't tell me when he would get more.

I asked Dan Cragen to work up a catch-can arrangement both for Gen III's and Gen IV's.  I'll let you know when he is ready.
The Best Things in Life are Dangerous

Banzai Ben

Thanks Dan.
Which way do you think would be better for my car? With vacuum or passive? It's not a daily driver but I do like driving it on the street and tracking it about 6-8 times per year.

Thanks Bruce, I'm interested to see what DC designs.

2013 SRT Viper, Race Yellow
2003 Viper Comp Coupe, GTS Blue
2005 SRT-10 Ram, Yellow Fever
2018 Hellcat Challenger, Indigo Blue

PCH VIPER

Hey Dan,
A bit off topic but for the Hans Device....
It turns out that there are a whole bunch of "factory trained" dealers in the O.C.
http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.89/.f

Bruce got his from:
Taylor Motorsports (down the street from Corvette Mike's)
1255 N. Tustin Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92807
(714) 630-7850
20 LP Hans Device with quick disconnect - $1,100 (installed)

Only downside...no Philly Cheesesteaks  >o
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

ViperX

Lance,

Good find.

$1100.00 seems kinda' pricey though .....

Bruce,

I've sent Dan Cragin my catch can details and am sure that he can duplicate it.

Ben,

The catch can I installed works very well and is low maintenance.....and I still drive my car on the street at times too, but I disconnect it, of course, when on the street, unless I am in Mexico.

Dan

PCH VIPER

From what I've seen so far on the Hans....pricing has been pretty much fixed no matter where you go.  We'll save on sales tax buying in the OC   >g

Maybe I should make one out of Koa  >w

Super Villain

McKinney Raceworks no longer makes the catch can!

I spoke with him on the phone and it looks like the profit margin on the catch cans were pretty thin compared to the amount of effort that went into making them.  So for now the catch can is discontinued.  What a bummer because it was a really nice piece.

So I started looking at alternatives and this second option kept coming back to the top of my list.  Yes I know it was made by a bunch of Corvette dudes, but it has a lot of nice features and the design seems to work.  It is more expensive than the McKinney Catch Can, but it IS still being made.  Check it out here: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

Kobi just ordered one for his Gen 4 ACR and I will be helping him install it at Lance's shop on the 23rd.  I will also take some pics and do a follow-up post on this can.

"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

Super Villain

Mike (DEDLY4U) and Cheryl came by my house today and not only did they bring doggie treats for my little guy they also brought over the Elite Engineering Catch Can!  I was able to check it out in person and see what is needed to install it.

This is a very nicely made part and will work great on the Viper.  Here are some pics:

" border="0
At 2.6" round and 6" long this catch can is a little wider and shorter than the McKinney Raceworks Catch Can.  The fittings are 3/8".  Oil vapor and fumes from the valve cover enter through the top port.  Clean air is drawn into the intake through the lower port.

" border="0
The bottom portion holds all the oil and unscrews for easy dumping.  Bottom portion is also O-Ring sealed. The backside of the top has two screw holes for the mounting bracket, but unfortunately this is more of a feature for the Corvettes since their cylinder heads have exposed bolts you can thread the bracket on to.  Not so on the Viper. The T-bolt clamp I used for the McKinney can will work here...though you would need a slightly bigger clamp due to the 2.6" diameter of the Elite Engineering catch can.

" border="0
Here is a look at the oil separation chamber housed in the top half of the can.  Oil drains into the bottom part of the can through the holes.  Air is drawn into the intake through the gap and divots cut along the face.

" border="0
The oil separation chamber unscrews from the top.  Inside you find metal coiled shavings.  These act as the main separation medium.  Oil vapors and fumes enter though the top of the can and then must pass through this filtration medium.  All the oil and gunk condenses on to the metal coiled shavings while the air passes through.  Eventually all the oil finds its way to the bottom of the filter and then drips to the bottom of the can through the drain holes.  You will want to unscrew the separation chamber several times a year and spray some brake cleaner through it to rinse out the gunk from clogging up.

" border="0
Side view of oil separation chamber unscrewed from top of can.

" border="0
Bottom view of oil separation chamber.  Note the drain holes.  You can see the metal coiled shavings packed in there.  Oil drains through the drain holes, but air also passes through those same holes.  The oil and any vapors will not be able to make a 180 degree turn to flow into the clean air path above.

" border="0
Another shot of the metal "filter" medium in the oil separation chamber.

These run about $170 and can be bought here: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html they come in several color options.
"What is best in life?"...."To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!" - Conan

1HOTACR

Thanks for the info  S.V.   <1

Just ordered one    Glenn..............
Glenn
1HOTV10 - 2014 GTS Striker Green
1HOTACR - 2017 ACR-E

ViperX

You guys with Gen IV's may want to check your hose sizes.  I used 5/8 inch hoses on my catch can set up and they worked perfectly with the OE size hose ends on the valve covers, i.e. I didn't have to "up or down size" the hoses.

Gen III looks like it's smaller, but I'd check with Anhtuan this week so that you will have the correct size fittings and / or hoses for your installation.

Dan

PCH VIPER

Quote from: 1HOTV10 on May 17, 2010, 10:46:22 AM
   Thanks for the info  S.V.   <1

Just ordered one    Glenn..............

Me too !
Thanks Anhtuan !

Super Villain

The Gen 3s also have 5/8" hoses between the valve cover and the intake.  So it looks like both the Gen 3 and 4 Vipers use 5/8" hoses.  My McKinney Can though had 1/2" fittings so I had to size down with an adapter to make it fit.  The Elite Can has 3/8" fittings so you will need a 5/8" to 3/8" adapter...two of them...one for the in port and one for the out port.

In order to clamp and hold the can you will need a t-bolt clamp like this one: 

1 – T-bolt hose clamp 2.56"-2.87" like this http://www.amazon.com/Murray-T-Bolt-Steel-ClampScrew/dp/B000OGTUWE/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1273824469&sr=1-58

1 - 2.25" worm gear hose clamp...get one made in the USA with a thicker gauge metal.  I like the ones made by Ideal and they can be found at Pep Boys.

2 - 5/8" to 3/8" hose adapters.  I ended up screwing together two brass hose barb fittings from Home Depot.  3/8" barb on one side and 5/8" barb on the other side.  If you can find a plastic hose adapter then that would look nicer.  Mike said he was able to find a 5/8" to 1/2" plastic adapter at Pep Boys and was able to make the 3/8" hose that came with the Elite Can stretch over it.

For Gen 3 owners you will also need about 2 ft of 5/8" hose.  Gen 4 owners should only need about 1.5 ft of 5/8" hose.

Super Villain

ViperX