My write up on a Catch Can for keeping oil out of the intake

Started by Super Villain, April 22, 2010, 02:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

Quote from: Super Villain on May 17, 2010, 01:22:10 AM
Mike (DEDLY4U) and Cheryl came by my house today and not only did they bring doggie treats for my little guy they also brought over the Elite Engineering Catch Can!  I was able to check it out in person and see what is needed to install it.

This is a very nicely made part and will work great on the Viper.  Here are some pics:

" border="0
At 2.6" round and 6" long this catch can is a little wider and shorter than the McKinney Raceworks Catch Can.  The fittings are 3/8".  Oil vapor and fumes from the valve cover enter through the top port.  Clean air is drawn into the intake through the lower port.

" border="0
The bottom portion holds all the oil and unscrews for easy dumping.  Bottom portion is also O-Ring sealed. The backside of the top has two screw holes for the mounting bracket, but unfortunately this is more of a feature for the Corvettes since their cylinder heads have exposed bolts you can thread the bracket on to.  Not so on the Viper. The T-bolt clamp I used for the McKinney can will work here...though you would need a slightly bigger clamp due to the 2.6" diameter of the Elite Engineering catch can.

" border="0
Here is a look at the oil separation chamber housed in the top half of the can.  Oil drains into the bottom part of the can through the holes.  Air is drawn into the intake through the gap and divots cut along the face.

" border="0
The oil separation chamber unscrews from the top.  Inside you find metal coiled shavings.  These act as the main separation medium.  Oil vapors and fumes enter though the top of the can and then must pass through this filtration medium.  All the oil and gunk condenses on to the metal coiled shavings while the air passes through.  Eventually all the oil finds its way to the bottom of the filter and then drips to the bottom of the can through the drain holes.  You will want to unscrew the separation chamber several times a year and spray some brake cleaner through it to rinse out the gunk from clogging up.

" border="0
Side view of oil separation chamber unscrewed from top of can.

" border="0
Bottom view of oil separation chamber.  Note the drain holes.  You can see the metal coiled shavings packed in there.  Oil drains through the drain holes, but air also passes through those same holes.  The oil and any vapors will not be able to make a 180 degree turn to flow into the clean air path above.

" border="0
Another shot of the metal "filter" medium in the oil separation chamber.

These run about $170 and can be bought here: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html they come in several color options.

I really like this catch can. I went to the site i was directed to to order one up and it looks as if they don't have a specific model for the dodge viper... i see some for the dodge challenger, srt 8, and whatnot but no viper. im assuming that from what i am seeing it looks like the model is only for the bracket of how it will mount. im assuming if i order one up ill have to modify and make my own bracket.... just wanted to make sure that i am correct on this before i make the purchase. i am only going to order 1 for now and see how i like it but plan to order another for the 2nd viper.

also if anyone has pics of this specific oil catch can installed on their viper please post pics id really appreciate it.

thanks!

PCH VIPER

Hey Derek,
When you click on the link it takes you to the catch can.  http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

It is actually designed for a Corvette.    >1
www.kouchicentral.com  for more viper pictures

Derek

Quote from: PCH VIPER on September 13, 2012, 08:49:53 PM
Hey Derek,
When you click on the link it takes you to the catch can.  http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

It is actually designed for a Corvette.    >1

yea thats why i was asking if it would work for my viper if i made/modified the mounting bracket. im pretty sure the oil catch can is universal but wanted to make sure...